This is scary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:30:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  This is scary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is scary  (Read 3031 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2004, 02:06:14 PM »

That's what Bob Herbert writes in today's NYT:

I think a case could be made that ignorance played at least as big a role in the election's outcome as values. A recent survey by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland found that nearly 70 percent of President Bush's supporters believe the U.S. has come up with "clear evidence" that Saddam Hussein was working closely with Al Qaeda. A third of the president's supporters believe weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq. And more than a third believe that a substantial majority of world opinion supported the U.S.-led invasion.

This is scary. How do you make a rational political pitch to people who have put that part of their brain on hold? No wonder Bush won.

The survey, and an accompanying report, showed that there's a fair amount of cluelessness in the ranks of the values crowd. The report said, "It is clear that supporters of the president are more likely to have misperceptions than those who oppose him."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/08/opinion/08herbert.html?oref=login&hp

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 02:08:58 PM »

I think a case could be made that ignorance played at least as big a role in the election's outcome as values. A recent survey by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland found that nearly 70 percent of President Bush's supporters believe the U.S. has come up with "clear evidence" that Saddam Hussein was working closely with Al Qaeda. A third of the president's supporters believe weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq. And more than a third believe that a substantial majority of world opinion supported the U.S.-led invasion.

This is scary. How do you make a rational political pitch to people who have put that part of their brain on hold? No wonder Bush won.

The survey, and an accompanying report, showed that there's a fair amount of cluelessness in the ranks of the values crowd. The report said, "It is clear that supporters of the president are more likely to have misperceptions than those who oppose him."

There's a very strong correlation between 'values' and ignorance. 

The closed-minded are also very judgemental.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 02:24:51 PM »

Gee, good thing you aren't close-minded or judgemental of anyone, right opebo?

Shira --

--The majority of Kerry voters think the upper class pays a lower percentage of their income than the lower class.

--Thousands of teens thought Bush was going to bring back the draft.

--Going back to the old playbook, Democrats were sure to 'inform' old people that Bush was going to take away their Social Security checks.

--The majority of Kerry voters thought the middle class is now paying more taxes than before the Bush tax cuts.

Someone's voters are stupid. We agree on that much.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »

First of all, it's an op-ed peice, so it doesn't have to be based on facts in order to be published in the print media (of course, most of the NYT work has been questionable over the past decade).  Secondly, you are drawing general conclusions off of the results of a selected few and then projecting them across the broad spectrum of all Bush supporters.

Anyway, let's look at this:

1- the media was one who made the Saddam - 9/11 correlation (not the administration).  However, there has been evidence indicating that Saddam did have a dialogue with al-Qaeda (it's even written in the 9/11 Commission report).  Was it "close?"  Who knows.

2- Small quantities of WMDs have been recovered in Iraq, but it mostly goes unnoticed since it's not the large stock-piles they were expecting to find.  Additionally, the media was burned in the early weeks of the invasion when it came to reporting the findings of WMDs before the test results were returned.  At that point, even Fox News stopped covering WMDs up until the two road-side bombs were discovered.

3- I question the data of those who believe there is world majority support on Iraq.  There was in Afghanistan.  Maybe they worded the question poorly.

Believe an op-ed all you want.  They're worse than exit polls.
shankbear

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 03:15:31 PM »

ALERT!!!!!  ALERT!!!!!!

OPEBO and SHIRA share today's EDITORIAL BOARD CRAPWEASEL AWARD!!!!!!!!

Fretting over why the LIBS had their butts handed to them in last week's election, Opebo and Shira trot out the New York Times as a credible source for their bewilderment.  Breathing deep the acrid spewage of the Times they post away in a stupor.

The GOP defeated the left in the elections and they just cannot believe it.  Their musings will run on and on until they are exhausted.  That, unfortunately, will be during the primaries in the next election.  Or, unless the Dems come up with a real candidate, another butt whipping in election 2008.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:43:20 PM »

ALERT!!!!!  ALERT!!!!!!

The GOP defeated the left in the elections and they just cannot believe it. 

I have no trouble at all 'believing' it.  Given my opinion of the majority, its no surprise at all. 

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 03:58:15 PM »

ALERT!!!!!  ALERT!!!!!!

I have no trouble at all 'believing' it.  Given my opinion of the majority, its no surprise at all. 

And nothing you say lately surprises me either.  Smiley  Doesn't mean it's accurate.  Cheesy
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 08:23:12 PM »

ALERT!!!!!  ALERT!!!!!!

If the majority's opinion of you is that you are mentally defective and should be sterilized, should we give that opinion more weight?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 08:45:02 PM »

I'd rather just revoke his citizenship and make him stay in whatever-the-hell-the-country-is-called.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 08:50:24 PM »

I'd rather just revoke his citizenship and make him stay in whatever-the-hell-the-country-is-called.

These assholes are still waging the campaign.  you should do negative numbers for a while, just to emphasize it.  I guess you'd be -6 about now. 

Saying that this is the year of the angry, white, stupid redneck is easier than admitting defeat, or that your guy sucked.  See? 

stay tuned for more Moore hatefest flickage. 

"vacation all I ever wanted, vacation time to get away, vacation it would mean such a lot...." 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 05:31:18 AM »

Saying that this is the year of the angry, white, stupid redneck is easier than admitting defeat, or that your guy sucked.  See? 

I thought every year was that year.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 12:37:45 PM »

Very scary. Any one who's blind to the facts is just ignorant.

Dave
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 12:49:56 PM »

they're still in campaign mode alright.  this skinny vegan chick with facial jewelery and a general vampire look in one of my classes has worn a button that says "Bush Lied.  People Died."  every day this week.  Cute, but tired.  Get over it.  They're all liars, honey, just like the rest of us. 

Actually, it isn't the DNC elite doing all this.  It is the press, their minions, and the talking heads.  The DNC bosses have been pretty up-front about the whole thing, "They were better at getting out their voters.  Period."  I will give credit to both big parties for their mature behavior after this elections.  RNC not gloating, DNC not whining.  It's more their rank-and-file supporters and ranters on fora that are engaging in all the sniping, or gloating, respectively.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 03:29:19 PM »

they're still in campaign mode alright.  this skinny vegan chick with facial jewelery and a general vampire look in one of my classes has worn a button that says "Bush Lied.  People Died."  every day this week.  Cute, but tired.  Get over it.  They're all liars, honey, just like the rest of us. 

Actually, it isn't the DNC elite doing all this.  It is the press, their minions, and the talking heads.  The DNC bosses have been pretty up-front about the whole thing, "They were better at getting out their voters.  Period."  I will give credit to both big parties for their mature behavior after this elections.  RNC not gloating, DNC not whining.  It's more their rank-and-file supporters and ranters on fora that are engaging in all the sniping, or gloating, respectively.

So its the ordinary people on both sides that hate one another - I would agree completely.
shankbear

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:23 PM »

Are there crapweasels in Thailand?
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 06:38:32 PM »

There's a very strong correlation between 'values' and ignorance. 

The closed-minded are also very judgemental.

Then you're admitting to being very closed minded. A shame, you've gone from eccentric individualist, which I could respect, to complete nutjob nutwinger, which I cannot. You're no more analytical with stuff than a third grader. I'd give my assertion is not proof speech [again], but I'd be wasting it on you.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 06:46:44 PM »

So its the ordinary people on both sides that hate one another - I would agree completely.

No, it's the bigoted loony left like you bopeepo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies