Free Time Makes Happy Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:38:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Free Time Makes Happy Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Free Time Makes Happy Act (Failed)  (Read 8484 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2010, 06:20:36 PM by The Demon's Manifestation »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Hans-im-Gluck
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »

Unless the number of days is drastically reduced as well as the fine, I urge the Senate to oppose this legislation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »

I oppose this for several reasons. And while a bad idea in any time, it is especially bad right now with 12% unemployment. This will be an unconscionable drain on our small businesses at a time when they are coping with reduced sales, higher taxes, and exceedingly high standards with regards to credit, are we to know say, Do this also? How can we do that and not expect a rise in unemployment. It is time this Senate stop taking one step forward and then two steps back with every action it takes with regards to job creation. It is time we stop the castration of small business and instead work to fine ways to improve their situation.

The primary driver and reason why we can work less is advances in productivity to the point where it is economically beneficial to reduce the number of hours worked because the vacationing and tourism boosts the economy more then is lost in the production. However this is not the case here, no incentives to do anything differently or increase efficiency, just an arbitrary, unfunded, feel-good, counter-productive measure, the full force of which will full directly on small business and decrease the wages and employement of the poorest Americans.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »

I oppose this for several reasons. And while a bad idea in any time, it is especially bad right now with 12% unemployment. This will be an unconscionable drain on our small businesses at a time when they are coping with reduced sales, higher taxes, and exceedingly high standards with regards to credit, are we to know say, Do this also? How can we do that and not expect a rise in unemployment. It is time this Senate stop taking one step forward and then two steps back with every action it takes with regards to job creation. It is time we stop the castration of small business and instead work to fine ways to improve their situation.

The primary driver and reason why we can work less is advances in productivity to the point where it is economically beneficial to reduce the number of hours worked because the vacationing and tourism boosts the economy more then is lost in the production. However this is not the case here, no incentives to do anything differently or increase efficiency, just an arbitrary, unfunded, feel-good, counter-productive measure, the full force of which will full directly on small business and decrease the wages and employement of the poorest Americans.

And how would you feel about shortening the work day by an hour, then?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »

And how would you feel about shortening the work day by an hour, then?

I would oppose that as well. Because that will hit the poor working class. Most businesses in this environment would just cut them back to 35 and thus it is a paycut for a people who have had no lack of those nasty little things recently.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »

Six weeks paid?

I for one will be voting Nay - the last thing we need to do is to kneecap struggling businesses with this kind of restriction.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »

At six weeks, I'm certainly against this. There is no possible way for this to work. Even by making a shorter work week, people dont need the vacation time, they need the money. Even if you changed it to 2 weeks, a lot of small business owners simply couldnt afford to do something like this. Plus, there are too many questionable areas. How long do you have to be in a position to get this paid time? Regardless of how long the paid vacation time would be, you would need to have established yourself in a position for a certain amount of time.

We simply cant have Bushie getting a job, taking 3 weeks vacation, and leave to find another one.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »

Absolutely not. 6 weeks are totally absurd, obviously, but I will not vote for any guaranteed legal minimum at this point in time....for the reasons that others have already stated.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:18:56 PM »

Keep the slaves in line! No fun time for them! Back to work, you freeloading cashiers!

*cracks whip*
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »

Keep the slaves in line! No fun time for them! Back to work, you freeloading cashiers!

*cracks whip*

The results of this legislation, at least in the short term, would mean VERY much free time for many "slaves"....when they're unemployed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »

While I don't exactly agree with your assessment (Atlasia takes alot of it's initial junk from the US, which in comparison to other countries, has meager vacation and sick-leave time) I can agree to do it at a time when the economy is in better shape and more able to adjust.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »

While I don't exactly agree with your assessment (Atlasia takes alot of it's initial junk from the US, which in comparison to other countries, has meager vacation and sick-leave time) I can agree to do it at a time when the economy is in better shape and more able to adjust.

I can agree to mandating vacation as well....but I would prefer that it be done with ample warning....such as passing a law now that would take effect in a year perhaps....and then I would recommend doing it gradually. One week next year, two weeks the year after....etc.

6 weeks are too long in any case, IMHO.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »

I'll look up what the situation is like currently later on and see if I can think of something a bit more palatable, then.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »

I would certainly veto this if passed as is, but I do urge the Senate to consider using this legislation as a vehicle for improving labor conditions in Atlasia.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 11:02:59 PM »

I certainly see no need or benefit from joining Europe's dance of death at any point. For future reference, a damn good way of ensuring I be certainly opposing something is to say "Europe does it, so we should as well". God save us from the mess they are in.

In the future we can add maybe some paid vacation and sick leave but we have to keep in mind that some industries aren't suited to affording that. I will oppose fervently any attempt to reduce the work week.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 11:07:01 PM »

I certainly see no need or benefit from joining Europe's dance of death at any point. For future reference, a damn good way of ensuring I be certainly opposing something is to say "Europe does it, so we should as well". God save us from the mess they are in.

In the future we can add maybe some paid vacation and sick leave but we have to keep in mind that some industries aren't suited to affording that. I will oppose fervently any attempt to reduce the work week.

At least we're actually having a discussion here, aren't we? Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »

I'd certainly like to hear from the bill's sponsor as to the need for, and economic ramifications of, his proposal.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »

Let me randomly stroll into the Senate, here, seeing as I've been gone for a good while.

Tongue

Ahem. I move to amend the bill as follows:

How's this sound, everybody? Two weeks of guaranteed paid vacation starting in 2012 is a bit small, yes, but I do agree that six weeks effective immediately is a bit much for the economy to handle. This bill will be a nice foundation if the Senate in the future wants to raise the two weeks to something more.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »

Ha HA Ha

Very funny. i think you are living in a dream world. In the reality I have 6 weeks paid holidays and I don't think that Germany is economically at the end.

A long vacation is good to recover. The employee is then fresh and has more power to work. The pay of the leave (the average of the last three months) would motivate employees to do the overtime.

When the people have more vacation, then it would be very good for the tourism and other leisure activity. This would make a boom in this part of our economy.

Caution humor:
A long vacation makes peaceful. In the US you have not so many vacation and so you must go to the Army and invade a foreign countries to see them. With 6 weeks vacation you have the time to visit them.

It seems that Atlasia is the Workers nightmare. We can reduce the holiday from 6 to 4 weeks. For me it is not enough, but for Atlasia it would be a big progress.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »

I'm willing to discuss maybe 1 week at this time......but 4 or 6 weeks are absurd in this economy.

Without proper steps in place to make sure the economy doesn't suffer, I promise I'll be voting against this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »

I like Bacon King's idea. 1 or 2 weeks is my max.

Ha HA Ha

Very funny. i think you are living in a dream world. In the reality I have 6 weeks paid holidays and I don't think that Germany is economically at the end.

A long vacation is good to recover. The employee is then fresh and has more power to work. The pay of the leave (the average of the last three months) would motivate employees to do the overtime.

When the people have more vacation, then it would be very good for the tourism and other leisure activity. This would make a boom in this part of our economy.

Caution humor:
A long vacation makes peaceful. In the US you have not so many vacation and so you must go to the Army and invade a foreign countries to see them. With 6 weeks vacation you have the time to visit them.

It seems that Atlasia is the Workers nightmare. We can reduce the holiday from 6 to 4 weeks. For me it is not enough, but for Atlasia it would be a big progress.

As I recall, we only invaded Germany twice in the 20th century, and both times with very good reason. Tongue If we were to invade a country to get a vacation it wouldn't be Iraq and Afghanistan. It would be Bermuda, the Bahamas, France, Japan, Monaco, Italy, Spain, England, or Germany. Not a Desert and the mts of Central Asia. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »

Let me randomly stroll into the Senate, here, seeing as I've been gone for a good while.

Tongue

How's this sound, everybody? Two weeks of guaranteed paid vacation starting in 2012 is a bit small, yes, but I do agree that six weeks effective immediately is a bit much for the economy to handle. This bill will be a nice foundation if the Senate in the future wants to raise the two weeks to something more.

I like this! If there was an inclusion of some sick days clause in this it'd be perfect. Or can we really legislate that sort of thing? (Or, for that matter, limit them at all, assuming the person is actually sick?)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »

Tongue

I like this! If there was an inclusion of some sick days clause in this it'd be perfect. Or can we really legislate that sort of thing? (Or, for that matter, limit them at all, assuming the person is actually sick?)

You should edit it to say all employees working more than x hours per week. Some teenager who works 10 hours a week at a grocery store doesn't need two weeks vacation Tongue
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »

I do not support government managing private companies' labor policies. Hence I oppose this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »

I agree with Vepres. To not include that would lead to significant unemployement among people already suffering from ungodly high unemployment rates.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies