cool urban race maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:10:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  cool urban race maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: cool urban race maps  (Read 1947 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »

I know there are racial maps of some cities in an old thread, but someone's done a whole bunch which have the additional cool feature of using dots for populations so you can see the composition of mixed areas as well as compare the density of various groups within a city. (I assume the scale changes from city to city though). Plus they're kind of neat from a purely aesthetic point of view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157624812674967/with/4981413599/
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:36 AM »

Very interesting indeed---unlike maps that use census tracts, these maps more clearly show the unpopulated parks, industrial areas, etc, that serve as the real boundary between neighborhoods. Chicago's segregation is mind-boggling. Los Angeles seems to have much more smooth transitions.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »

What's the white (mixed?) enclave in the geographic centre of black Brooklyn?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »

Crown Heights; hasidic enclave.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

Ah, right; I've heard that name before. Didn't recognize where it lay exactly, I guess.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »

Shocked Detroit.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »

Very interesting indeed---unlike maps that use census tracts, these maps more clearly show the unpopulated parks, industrial areas, etc, that serve as the real boundary between neighborhoods. Chicago's segregation is mind-boggling. Los Angeles seems to have much more smooth transitions.

I wish someone would use the old style maps, but use white space to label undeveloped parkland/cemeteries/etc. (Industrial and commercial space can't be helped.) I find this style a lot harder to read precisely, although it gets broad points across.

Also, Howard Beach is labeled as "Rockwood Park" (?) on the NYC map. And Englewood got a shout-out!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »

Fun maps. Wish they were more current. 2000 was a long time ago regarding who lived where.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »

I know there are racial maps of some cities in an old thread, but someone's done a whole bunch which have the additional cool feature of using dots for populations so you can see the composition of mixed areas as well as compare the density of various groups within a city. (I assume the scale changes from city to city though). Plus they're kind of neat from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Be sure to click through to the largest scale available.

Rikers Island and San Quentin are kind of neat.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »

Boston is boring.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »

Be sure to click through to the largest scale available.

Rikers Island and San Quentin are kind of neat.

In the comments, someone asks about Rikers Island to which the creator replies: "That's a flaw in my plotting. I took the easy way out and used the diameter of each block instead of the block's actual bounds to choose the points to plot for it, so sometimes the points are outside the actual bounds." Not that it isn't still neat. Grin

What is most interesting to me is how blacks and Hispanics seem to be mixed in the Bronx. I was already somewhat aware of that, but this map better illustrates it. Anybody have more info on that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:46:40 AM »

Something to do with the housing projects, maybe? Slums in the sky, rather than slums of the traditional type.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »

Something to do with the housing projects, maybe? Slums in the sky, rather than slums of the traditional type.

True to some extent. The residents of the public housing projects are mostly older blacks who have been there for a while. But there actually aren't that many projects in the South Bronx. Fewer than in East Harlem anyway. I don't think there's a really clear reason overall other than that blacks are slowly leaving and Hispanics are slowly replacing them. The transition is slow because the blacks are not easily displaced as most left in the South Bronx can't afford anywhere else nearby.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »

Tampa is interesting and about what I expected. I'm still shocked how may people haven't moved out of areas that were formerly segregated for blacks. Around here "other side of the tracks" actually means something.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »

There's also the issue of the large Dominican population in New York. They're both Black and Hispanic.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »

There's also the issue of the large Dominican population in New York. They're both Black and Hispanic.

Some of them, anyway. But the Washington Heights figures make it clear that Hispanic origin is controlling over race (so that those who call themselves black and Hispanic get considered Hispanic on this map and on tools like Dave's Redistricting App). Makes sense given that Hispanics who call themselves "white" or "Other" get designated only as Hispanic.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »

actually I find it interesting for the number of areas (such as Lynn) that are relatively integrated
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies