The Dems have become a joke party by inviting Colbert to Testify on Immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:45:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Dems have become a joke party by inviting Colbert to Testify on Immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Dems have become a joke party by inviting Colbert to Testify on Immigration  (Read 4116 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »

Elmo testifying before Congress is the weirdest thing Silent Hunter has heard all week.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 05:29:21 PM »

Did Larry Craig tickle him?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »

I agree, if only because the comparison is absurd.  If you are unable to look past the satirical personality and discern the point of Colbert's testimony, that is your own downfall.

Congress using satire to make a point is, well, comical. Regardless of the point, there should be some dignity in the body. A congressional hearing is not the place for satire.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 07:02:06 PM »

I agree, if only because the comparison is absurd.  If you are unable to look past the satirical personality and discern the point of Colbert's testimony, that is your own downfall.

Congress using satire to make a point is, well, comical. Regardless of the point, there should be some dignity in the body. A congressional hearing is not the place for satire.

He was being serious for some of it then broke off into satire.  He did have some dignity.

That being said, why does it matter whether it's satire or not?  Like any American that has the right to speak before Congress, they can do it in their own way.  If the idiots on Capitol Hill are too dumb to understand the point of such ridiculousness, then they shouldn't be in office.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »

He was being serious for some of it then broke off into satire.  He did have some dignity.

That being said, why does it matter whether it's satire or not?  Like any American that has the right to speak before Congress, they can do it in their own way.  If the idiots on Capitol Hill are too dumb to understand the point of such ridiculousness, then they shouldn't be in office.

His point was clear, I just think summoning a comedian who is known for putting on a ridiculous satirical persona was a bad idea. Personally, I don't think celebrities should ever be invited to testify unless there is some reason that they clearly identify with that issue.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »

I fully support Mr. Colbert's actions.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:15 PM »

His point was clear, I just think summoning a comedian who is known for putting on a ridiculous satirical persona was a bad idea. Personally, I don't think celebrities should ever be invited to testify unless there is some reason that they clearly identify with that issue.

Well apparently, Congress couldn't pull up another another person who served in the Take Our Jobs program.Tongue

But out of all honesty, he's one of the best people to explain the ridiculousness of the situation to them.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »

I've been watching C-SPAN 3 online... I mean - this is a waste of Congress's time. 

Never seen anyone who watches C-SPAN 3 get so upset about time wasting
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »

Why is this the response I keep hearing?  Do the Democrats really want to be the party that says, "The Republicans did something stupid 8 years ago, so now we decided to do something stupid too."  Come on!  Instead of shifting the focus to an event 8 years ago (an event that should not have happened either), address what's going on now.

Why do you keep saying that both incidents were "stupid"?

Because, quite honestly, both incidents made a mockery of the Congressional process.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »

I've been watching C-SPAN 3 online... I mean - this is a waste of Congress's time. 

I'm a C-SPAN (1) fan myself... the House is where all the action's at. Wink
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »

Why is this the response I keep hearing?  Do the Democrats really want to be the party that says, "The Republicans did something stupid 8 years ago, so now we decided to do something stupid too."  Come on!  Instead of shifting the focus to an event 8 years ago (an event that should not have happened either), address what's going on now.

Because, quite honestly, both incidents made a mockery of the Congressional process.

I don't think it's possible to make a mockery of it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »

Yes. The Senate is boring.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »

Yes. The Senate is boring.ay.

The Senate is where you get the close votes, but the House is where you have members just go off and have some sprited debate.  My cable provider dumped C-SPAN 2 this past spring, which pissed me off, but at least I still have C-SPAN.  Although I can watch anything online - it was just I'd be flipping through chanels and see somebody yelling, so I'd stop and watch.  I rarely ever just go over to C-SPAN.com to watch, unless I know something's going on that d
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »

Congratulations, that was perhaps the most unintentionally amusing statement I have seen all week.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »

Congratulations, that was perhaps the most unintentionally amusing statement I have seen all week.

Yeah, I smiled at that.

When he puts it like that, Colbert seems to me to be the least of Congress' problems. Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »

Yeah, I smiled at that.

When he puts it like that, Colbert seems to me to be the least of Congress' problems. Tongue

But it made it clear to everybody watching - I mean, you can complain about what Congress has done (or not done), but this just looked ridiculous.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 01:23:19 AM »

The Democrats are the joke party when Republicans are using a political perfect storm to field ass-backwards candidates with a completely hollow platform?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies