Former "troll" talk now mainstream
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:26:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Former "troll" talk now mainstream
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Former "troll" talk now mainstream  (Read 5313 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 11:55:06 AM »

Why not?  They both have broad appeal, a positive vision, and great intelligence.  True, they may be a bit hard to persuade to the heartland, but I think they would turn out to be ok.  Maybe our nation's not ready for Condi as VP.  I don't know.

Because the Republican primary electorate is not going to nominate a guy from the northeast who dumped his wife and then moved in with a gay couple and is quoted as saying his pro-choice and even opposes the partial-birth abortion ban when many are single issue abortion voters, and has an anti-gun record as thick as a phonebook. Think the NRA will back him?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 04:41:42 PM »

If you want a nationally recognized woman for VP in 2008, and one with a proven ability to campaign, I'd like to see Sens. Dole or Hutchinson.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 04:52:21 PM »

Guiliani and McCain (the former especially) are well-respected.  Which when it comes down to it, means jack.

If he can survive his '06-'08 lacuna (which I'm sure he'll use to campaign), Bill Owens is an extremely good position to take it, even if Jeb runs.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 04:54:19 PM »

Rice/Dole 08!!!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 05:26:25 PM »

Um... what a load of bullsh**t.
As unpleasant as this is for both parties, the days when one of them could accurately be described as a "Majority Party" are long over (unless 35-39% give or take differential turnout is a "majority"...)

And they ain't coming back either (unless someone kills all the Independents).

Anyone who claims otherwise (at the moment this will be Republicans, in a few years it might well be Democrats. Who knows) is kidding themselves.
Look at ALL the facts and you'll see why.

sober assessment.  thanks for the reality check.  In fact, ticket-splitters, and those who voted for Clinton in the 90s and then dumped on Gore in '00 and the unaffiliated, may be quite an influential group.  I am described by all those things, yet I don't feel 'courted'  Still, we are a growing group, and a large enough fraction that the dems and republicans are respectively, about 35 and 35 percent of the electorate.  There is no majority party!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 06:03:06 PM »

We had a realignment already...I think we're moving away from Republican dominance, actually.
M

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 03:04:35 PM »

Well, either we are moving into a truly split nation- which VERY narrowly favors the GOP for the presidency, favors the GOP by a fair amount for the House, and will lead to a regular GOP crushing majority in the Senate; or someone is about to emerge who will again build a Nixon, Reagan or Clinton like consensus and redefine, or solidify a redefinition, of American politics. For the Democrats, the best choice by far would be a Bayh-Richardson ticket, which I would likely be a strong supporter of. For the GOP, I increasingly think an Arnold Termination Landslide is a brilliant and realistic possibility. I think the Hatch amendment WILL get passed, and I have seen Schwarzenegger operate- his I-am-the-people style is executed perfectly and is almost unbeatable. As a backup, Giuliani makes a lot of sense but has baggage; Powell or McCain could do it too but won't. Rice is a brilliant running mate, as is Frist. If neither party makes these moves, and you end up with something like Frist or Owens vs Hillary- exoect a repeat of 2000 and 2004, narrow GOP presidency, a congress trending strongly GOP.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies