What issue will hurt G. Bush the most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:05:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What issue will hurt G. Bush the most?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What issue will hurt G. Bush the most?  (Read 6721 times)
CTguy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2004, 08:14:19 PM »

The unemployment numbers also look better than they are because it doesn't count people who have stopped looking for work, which is now at an all time high.  I believe currently only 66% of the adult population works, which is much lower than normal...  However this could also be due to the fact that the senior population is at an all time high.

Either way, what Bush has done for jobs is nothing to be proud of.  Even though I tend to agree more with free-trade policies than protectionism.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2004, 08:18:40 PM »

jobs
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2004, 01:24:30 PM »

I don't think people should fool themselves into thinking the recovery will be some sort of picnic. I think another bubble is building up and recovery won't come as easy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2004, 02:29:45 AM »

I think Diplomacy will hurt him a bit. Even though it shouldn't matter.

When you lead the world's only superpower, spearhead the war on terrorism, stand for Western values and democracy, violate international law, snub international officials and collapse alliances centuries old... I think diplomacy matters.

Siege40

Century old alliances? With who? The British hated us up until the 1860s at LEAST and the French wanted to take us over. The U.S. has had no firm alliance with any nation for more then 80 years.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2004, 05:50:36 AM »

I think Diplomacy will hurt him a bit. Even though it shouldn't matter.

When you lead the world's only superpower, spearhead the war on terrorism, stand for Western values and democracy, violate international law, snub international officials and collapse alliances centuries old... I think diplomacy matters.

Siege40

Century old alliances? With who? The British hated us up until the 1860s at LEAST and the French wanted to take us over. The U.S. has had no firm alliance with any nation for more then 80 years.

Well, counting from WWI you have 80 years with the British....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2004, 09:44:12 AM »

I think in many ways Europeans are still jealous of the U.S. and some probably still think "If we had only taken over that darned U.S. before they got so big." I really believe the politicians in countries such as England, France and Spain believe this. I bet the Queen of England feels that way.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2004, 10:13:46 AM »

I think in many ways Europeans are still jealous of the U.S. and some probably still think "If we had only taken over that darned U.S. before they got so big." I really believe the politicians in countries such as England, France and Spain believe this. I bet the Queen of England feels that way.

You think a lot of people actually know their history well enough to think like that? I don't...it probably is true of France, and maybe of someother country like Spain as well, but I don't think it's the case with the UK.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2004, 10:25:43 AM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2004, 12:15:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe not so much England anymore, but I'm sure the Queen or her father or mother had wished they would have been able to regain the American Colonies. The whole point at supporting the south during the Civil War was to keep the nation split for a reinvasion and to take back their colonies.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »

I always hated that statement "It's the economy, STUPID". Like saying vote for me, I'll change the economy which is doing bad you dummy. Just like Kerry and his attitude of demeaning regular citizens.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2004, 12:21:17 PM »

Maybe not so much England anymore, but I'm sure the Queen or her father or mother had wished they would have been able to regain the American Colonies. The whole point at supporting the south during the Civil War was to keep the nation split for a reinvasion and to take back their colonies.

That was 150 years ago...they have probably gotten over it, most people have...and retaking the colonies haven't been feasible for a long, long time. I thought the main reason was rather that the SOuth favoured free trade, which was obviously sought after by the Europeans?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2004, 12:23:51 PM »

I think the Europeans are scared of us in some ways. I believe Europe still has a lot of insecurity for whatever reason. I guess because we are the strongest superpower and they are afraid of losing their culture to American culture.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2004, 12:27:39 PM »

I think the Europeans are scared of us in some ways. I believe Europe still has a lot of insecurity for whatever reason. I guess because we are the strongest superpower and they are afraid of losing their culture to American culture.

Please don't talk about Europe as an entity like that. I mean, you call yourself StatesRights...what you say is true about, say, France, but certainly not of Sweden. We embrace American culture, maybe even too much. But naturally, a country with a lot of power can be frightening, power is scary...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2004, 12:35:10 PM »

The Majority of Americans, don't want to hate Europe or take over Europe or anything like that. I think many Americans don't understand why certain European nations are resentful of us.

Finally I reach YaBB God Status! Get down and worship me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink j/k
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2004, 12:43:47 PM »

The Majority of Americans, don't want to hate Europe or take over Europe or anything like that. I think many Americans don't understand why certain European nations are resentful of us.

Finally I reach YaBB God Status! Get down and worship me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink j/k

If you worship me, I'll worship you. Smiley

No, b/c so few Americans resent Europe...you really like us don't ya? Espeically Republicans... Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2004, 12:52:49 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2004, 12:53:31 PM by StatesRights »

I have no problem with Europeans. Their leaders are another story. I know many good Europeans and have quite a few friends in Europe. My family still has political pull big time in Northern Italy/Austria! My uncle went there for a reunion and when he told the hotel his last name, he got a great discount and one of the best rooms in Bozen.

Gustaf can you turn on your IM?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2004, 01:17:30 PM »

I think Americans are open to friendship with almost anybody, as long as our "friends" don't kick us in the teeth, as some of the Europeans have done and are doing.

Americans seem to only get hostile toward countries that they think are taking their jobs.  The reality is not that simple, and it's really in our best interests for these countries to develop economically, since this promotes peace, and expands the markets for our products.  India seems to be the latest victim of this type of thinking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2004, 02:39:44 PM »

I have no problem with Europeans. Their leaders are another story. I know many good Europeans and have quite a few friends in Europe. My family still has political pull big time in Northern Italy/Austria! My uncle went there for a reunion and when he told the hotel his last name, he got a great discount and one of the best rooms in Bozen.

Gustaf can you turn on your IM?

If you're still around, I have now. Smiley

Cool about the Austria thing. Smiley
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2004, 10:09:54 AM »

I think the world liked the perception that the Soviets and Americans balanced each other out. Now that the Soviets have gone down the drain that nice balance is scraped. Politics work well when there's a balance, now there's just American Power, and no one in the world could stop it if they wanted to. During the Cold War the French were pretty important players, now their pretty much irrelavant, there really isn't any strategic interest in Europe, no one's hostile, so the continent to the policy makers in Washington is essentially useless. Europe has been in control or influencing the world for centuries, now, they matter a lot less (Mostly talking about Germany, France, England, and Russia.)

Did you know that there's still a large number of American forces in the Rhineland, they were originally placed there to defend against the Nazis, then the Commies, hint, they aren't coming back any time soon.

Siege40
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2004, 11:11:13 AM »

The Europeans throughout their history have always been on the edge of conflict. Whether it be France vs Britian, Spain vs Europe, Germany vs Western Europe, etc. Now that they all seem to be unified and I doubt Europeans will ever war each other again they don't know what to do.

Yeah, I don't know why the U.S. still has troops there. I can understand Ramstien, as it's a stopping point for U.S. Soldiers on the way home.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »

The Europeans throughout their history have always been on the edge of conflict. Whether it be France vs Britian, Spain vs Europe, Germany vs Western Europe, etc. Now that they all seem to be unified and I doubt Europeans will ever war each other again they don't know what to do.

Yeah, I don't know why the U.S. still has troops there. I can understand Ramstien, as it's a stopping point for U.S. Soldiers on the way home.

The French weren't very important during the Cold War.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2004, 03:09:44 AM »

Important for their cheap women and wine.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2004, 10:42:58 AM »

Important for their cheap women and wine.

If you say so... Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2004, 01:29:40 PM »

Oh, sorry I mean cheap wine and women Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star