Would Sarah Palin Do THAT Badly If She Was Nominated In 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Would Sarah Palin Do THAT Badly If She Was Nominated In 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Would Sarah Palin Do THAT Badly If She Was Nominated In 2012?  (Read 6855 times)
Poundingtherock
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »

MK Ultra and 70% of this board were probably the same 10% who thought Palin bombed at the RNC convention.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 01:27:18 AM »

MK Ultra and 70% of this board were probably the same 10% who thought Palin bombed at the RNC convention.

She wasn't that great, and I will say it and it will never get old, John McCain really showed us how out of touch with reality he was when he picked her.

What does she honestly bring to the table? A bunch of witty remarks and the fact that she was chosen from obscurity to create a really horrible ticket? The people who are just as clueless as she is will vote for her, thats about it. Give her the extreme south, Texas, parts of the midwest up to the Dakotas and out towards Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah. Thats about it. She has no real strengths anywhere else.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »

She wasn't that great, and I will say it and it will never get old, John McCain really showed us how out of touch with reality he was when he picked her.

What does she honestly bring to the table? A bunch of witty remarks and the fact that she was chosen from obscurity to create a really horrible ticket? The people who are just as clueless as she is will vote for her, thats about it. Give her the extreme south, Texas, parts of the midwest up to the Dakotas and out towards Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah. Thats about it. She has no real strengths anywhere else.

I agree... what was so great about Palin at the RNC? she didn't flub her lines? she didn't belch? what?

For about... 2 weeks maybe 3 at most she was a slight positive for the Repub ticket... her virtually unknown status meant people didn't... know anything about her so the fact that it was a woman, from Alaska, with a downs syndrome child... was a curiosity... a novelty.

But once she was put on the spot (and I don't think she was treated unfairly, she was being put out there as the second in command of the country... tough) and actually had to speak... she showed what a HUGE mistake McCain had made.

I genuinely believe that he thought that there was going be such a huge number of PUMA voters out there that putting a woman up there was going to help... an anti-choice woman (not just pro-life), who hunts... yeah... smart.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=36ee8fde-58bf-4027-a75b-b29d86b66b92

You just admitted that you pretty much have no credibility when it comes to judging a speech or Palin.  Your opinion is shared by around 17%.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 04:03:15 AM »

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=36ee8fde-58bf-4027-a75b-b29d86b66b92

You just admitted that you pretty much have no credibility when it comes to judging a speech or Palin.  Your opinion is shared by around 17%.

Yeah, those numbers sure held solid on election day.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »

She made one good speech and then lost her credibility. As an example she gave a red-meat speech bashing urban areas as veritable Sodom and Gomorrah in rural Ohio -- ignoring that the microphones and TV cameras had the numbers "4", "6", and "10" on them. Those microphones belonged to the NBC, ABC, and CBS affiliates of Columbus, Ohio -- the home of Ohio State University, one of the largest  institutions of learning in America.  Bash intellectuals, minorities, and freethinkers, and you will offend huge numbers of people. The microphones and TV cameras relayed the red-meat speech back to Sodom and Gomorrah Columbus, Ohio, where it was panned a few weeks later in November. She made a similar performance in Virginia with similar results.

Maybe had she made campaign appearances in Texas, she could have lost Texas.     
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »

If 2012 is Obama vs. Palin, I'm moving to Italy.  F*** that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

OH, NOW YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought she did well at the convention and thought she was a great picked, till I saw her bombing interviews and making bad speeches.

I have quotes on here from 2008 that you can dig up to prove it. Atleast I think I do. Grin
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

I'm not defending Palin, but I just want to say that people - wrongfully - interpret stupid public responses as being unintelligent.

I don't like Palin, I don't want her to be president, but I'm certain she's smarter than what the media portray her as.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »

I'm not defending Palin, but I just want to say that people - wrongfully - interpret stupid public responses as being unintelligent.

I don't like Palin, I don't want her to be president, but I'm certain she's smarter than what the media portray her as.

I don't think Palin is STUPID, never have, never will.

I do think she is not intellectually curious, like GW Bush... frankly I think just being flat-out dumb is more defensible than just not caring enough or considering broadening your knowledge beyond what your interests are.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »

Obama 489
Palin       49

President Obama wins about 60% of the popular vote and about 90% of the electoral vote.

In essence, Sarah Palin does particularly well nowhere. Obama picks up anything that any Democrat has ever won since 1992 -- including some states that he was clobbered in in 2008. Sarah Palin is so erratic that she scares a vote that ordinarily has voted Republican (the pro-military vote) in almost every Presidential election since 1968, inclusive. He picks up the Clinton-but-not-Obama vote.

If any Republican wants to avoid a Goldwater-style debacle, then they had better come up with someone with a steadier mind than hers. Maybe Goldwater wasn't that nutty -- but  Sarah Palin is.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »

Sarah Palin has many weak points, but she doesn't really hold comparatively "extreme" views on anything.  She's pretty much Generic R on the issues.  She even supported TARP, so as to help those who are concerned about the healthcare reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping tho— it's got to be all about job creation too, shoring up our economy, and putting it back on the right track, so healthcare reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans.  And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as— competitive— scary thing, but one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity.  All those things under the umbrella of job creation.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »

Isn't she disliked even in her home state by now?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »

Democratic ad 2012 in Obama vs Palin election

It's 3:00 A.M.  A phone is ringing somewhere in the White House..........

Or something along those Hillary type lines.

Although an Obama vs Palin election would be over before it started, such an ad would cement in voter's minds just how much of a light weight Palin really is.

Only a true Republican hack would believe that Palin had any qualities at all even remotely resembling Presidential qualifications.

Yes, Palin would do that badly, and much worse.

She is a walking, talking political joke.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

Although an Obama vs Palin election would be over before it started, such an ad would cement in voter's minds just how much of a light weight Palin really is.

Only a true Republican hack would believe that Palin had any qualities at all even remotely resembling Presidential qualifications.

I don't expect plagiarism!

That said, the difference is that Palin will get the wrong answers before Obama asks the right questions.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »

So Pbrower and the rest of the 10% who didn't think her convention speech was great are now claiming that we should ignore the polls that show her trailing to Obama by at most 7 points on average (average of last 5 matchup polls).

In case you missed the polling from the last debate, she performed roughly as well in the Pew poll, which is heavily left-leaning, as Obama did in his first debate.  So the idea that she would not perform well in a debate is a mythical creation of the 10% who didn't think her convention speech was great  and not based on any real polling.

The idea that Obama could run any ad to drive up her negatives is comical.  Everyone knows her negatives.  What Obama is getting against her now is pretty much all he's ever going to get against her.  If he's not at 50% now against her, he won't be in a couple of years and running ads agaisnt won't do anyting considering everyone already knows her negatives.  After Delaware and Alaska, the old incumbent is screwed if under 50% may have more validity and it seems to have a lot of validity in an Obama-Palin contest.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »

That said, the difference is that Palin will get the wrong answers before Obama asks the right questions.

I fail to understand your ill thought out plagiarism comment.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »

He does not expect the Obama campaign to steal an ad from the 2008 Hillary campaign.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »

So Pbrower and the rest of the 10% who didn't think her convention speech was great are now claiming that we should ignore the polls that show her trailing to Obama by at most 7 points on average (average of last 5 matchup polls).

In case you missed the polling from the last debate, she performed roughly as well in the Pew poll, which is heavily left-leaning, as Obama did in his first debate.  So the idea that she would not perform well in a debate is a mythical creation of the 10% who didn't think her convention speech was great  and not based on any real polling.

Sarah Palin gave at the least a good convention speech. It might not have been the Gettysburg Address, JFK's inaugural speech, or MLK's "I Have a Dream", but it was credible.  Later speeches often became disasters, including her "Real America" drivel. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She has established her negatives well enough.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »

He does not expect the Obama campaign to steal an ad from the 2008 Hillary campaign.

OK.  I was not sure if he was implying that I had plagarized something from him which obviously I did not.

Of course the Obama campaign would not be using this ad in 2012.  I had simply used it as an example of the rough ride that Palin could expect if, heaven forbid, she was the nominee.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »

OK.  I was not sure if he was implying that I had plagarized something from him which obviously I did not.

Of course the Obama campaign would not be using this ad in 2012.  I had simply used it as an example of the rough ride that Palin could expect if, heaven forbid, she was the nominee.

It was that I didn't expect President Obama's campaign to plagiarize another campaign for ideas -- let us say that of Ronald Reagan.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »

How could anyone seriously expect Obama to win Georgia?  Its impossible.  Palin would do at least this well:

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »

How could anyone seriously expect Obama to win Georgia?  Its impossible.  Palin would do at least this well:

To be fair he did come a HELL of a lot closer than most people expected a few months before.

Throw Palin into the mix and the mass exodus of moderates and independents away from her... honestly, anything's possible.

Mind you, you were confident Obama wouldn't win in 08 too...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »

Something like this is most likely in a Palin vs. Obama race:

In an Obama vs. generic Republican race (Romney, Thune, etc.):

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies