Will Obama's approval ratings ever be in the 60's again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:13:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Obama's approval ratings ever be in the 60's again?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Will Obama's approval ratings ever be in the 60's again?  (Read 2892 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 03:51:20 AM »

Plausible... you lot really need to think about Clinton here...

I don't think there's 40% who will never approve of what Obama does... 30%? sure, even 35%? yeah.

I doubt he'll get it this term, but if he's reelected it's plausible... surely.

So is Obama going to start governing as a Rockefeller Republican with neoliberal influence the way Clinton did in order to salvage his popularity?

He isn't already?

I'd say Obama is currently governing like a neocon more similar to George W. Bush. We all know how his popularity ended up.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »

These Democrats are hilarious Cheesy Seriously, though, Obama's approvals will never hit 60% again. I can't even see them being in the 50s again.

Heh, you post this and the next day Rasmussen has Obama's approval at 50% for the first time in months.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

I'm guessing Obama's hard disapprove numbers are in the low 40s, so no.  He would literally have to reinvent himself, which barring an epic calamity, is nearly impossible for a sitting president.  The opportunity to adjust ala Clinton has passed.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »

Clinton moved to the center. Obama is too egotistical for such a move. Yes, the climate is bad, but he still has himself to blame, too.

The fact that the Democrats have thrown away their chance within 2 years still dumbfounds me. While I support Bush, the fact is that the Democrats had the chance to dominate for at least a decade coming off of his unpopular reign. The libs really wasted their chance, it's amazing.

Sadly, I fear the GOP will waste their chance between Nov 2010 and 2012, too. But we will see.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

As one of the forumites to, earlier than almost anyone else, appreciate the way that the economy would come to dominate political outcomes to the exclusion of almost all else, I will just note that there is one thing that dominates the economy with equal or even greater power than the economy dominates social issues. Can anyone guess what it is?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »

Clinton moved to the center. Obama is too egotistical for such a move. Yes, the climate is bad, but he still has himself to blame, too.

The fact that the Democrats have thrown away their chance within 2 years still dumbfounds me. While I support Bush, the fact is that the Democrats had the chance to dominate for at least a decade coming off of his unpopular reign. The libs really wasted their chance, it's amazing.

Sadly, I fear the GOP will waste their chance between Nov 2010 and 2012, too. But we will see.

More Egotistic than Clinton... seriously?

But seriously, Obama is in a very difficult spot politically.

Frankly, I think Obama wasted too much time trying to get the Reps on side. He got things done once he stopped trying to work with people whose only goal was screw him... which in turn... meant he screwed himself.

Obama's current poll weakness, I agree, is as much his own doing as anything else. But he's also shown to be pragmatic, and I think he will change tack if he needs to. In fact, I think he pretty much is.

... my view is that this is based on the perception of him that formed during the campaign. He appeared to many an aggressive liberal reformer. Which suited him politically, but that's not who he is.

He's a pragmatic moderate (maybe not in US terms, but in... you know... real terms) - in fact Hillary was probably more of a 'radical' than Obama ever was.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:26 PM »

It is the Republicans who tacked sharply to the Right and established a campaign of smears against a President who had little leeway on the Left. Maybe they could tack only so far before hitting a reef. This especially applies to the Tea Party Movement.

I don't know how genuine and sustainable the 50% approval is with Rasmussen, as it is new and so far a one-time event.  But he has had some occurrences of approval in the high 40s in recent days.  If it is an outlier, it isn't much of one. One daily poll proves only that day's results. For good reason I do not extrapolate far, and never on what could be statistical noise.  I have seen recent approval ratings in the low 40s. If I were to make a bet on where the next Rasmussen Daily Tracker will be the next day I would expect something between 45% and 48%.

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »

More Egotistic than Clinton... seriously?

Definitely.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh, when did he try to get the Reps on his side? Considering he ultimately got his garbage passed without any Republican votes, that's clearly a lame excuse.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course Hillary was more radical. At the very least, she was a genuine radical in her youth. Obama was just a blank slate empty suit brought in by the establishment elites to sell their agenda.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »

It seems when Obama is out there rallying the troops (so to speak) his numbers go up.

It helps that there is still a generally positive view of him personally, that always gives more room for recovery.

Bush's numbers in the second term were toast once that positive personal rating slipped.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 11:32:29 AM »

Back to 46% today.

Normal area. 50% may be an outlier -- but not by much.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies