Republicans block bill to keep jobs from going overseas.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans block bill to keep jobs from going overseas.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Republicans block bill to keep jobs from going overseas.  (Read 6386 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

Don't understand why anyone would be against expanding into new markets.

But this isn't a penalty tax or something. It's removing government subsidies. The whole point of subsidies, if there is a point, is to develop domestic economic strength. It is completely reasonable to only subsidize companies that operate within the country (provided you think it is reasonable to have subsidies at all).

Ding ding ding!
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »

Don't understand why anyone would be against expanding into new markets.

But this isn't a penalty tax or something. It's removing government subsidies. The whole point of subsidies, if there is a point, is to develop domestic economic strength. It is completely reasonable to only subsidize companies that operate within the country (provided you think it is reasonable to have subsidies at all).

Ding ding ding!

I guess I'm okay with this but for once I basically agree with Beet, this seems unnecessarily complicated.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Wow.  I wonder if Republicans are ever going to fix this loophole that lets the Democrats claim that there are tax breaks for companies that work overseas.

For those of you who don't know how corporate taxes work for international companies, the usual method is that each company pays taxes for the country they're doing business in, so a Japanese company selling in France would pay France's Corporation tax and not Japan's.

However this is not the case in the US.  The US corporate tax requires companies based in the US to pay the US corporate tax on all their income, along with the tax on foregin income that they have to pay to other countries.  However, this was removed rather sloppily by passing a separate law stating that US corporations don't have to pay Corporate tax on Out-of-country income.

So the only reason there is a "Tax cuts for companies that send jobs overseas" is because Congress decided to pass a law to take precedent over another law rather than to actually fix the first law.  If this was a legitimate tax break for outsourcing, the Democrats would have tried to repeal it in January 2009 when they could have easily done so rather than 5 weeks from an important midterm election, where they can score political points by holding US exports hostage.

So this bill would hurt multinational conglomerates? I'm all for it!
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 11:13:58 PM »

Of course they blocked it.  Remember, it's government of business, by business and for business.  Workers in the U.S. have been a political non-entity for thirty years.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »

Wow, the one thing that has helped Manufacturing recover and stablize, exports, is something which is good to discourage. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »

Wow, the one thing that has helped Manufacturing recover and stablize, exports, is something which is good to discourage. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good talking point > good policy Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »

Huh? This bill wouldn't do anything to companies that export. It only impacts companies with employment operations overseas (and only affects them as far as their overseas employment operations are concerned, wouldn't affect operations in the US producing goods for export at all).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 09:54:27 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2010, 09:59:23 PM by Torie »

The headline to this thread makes assumptions with which I disagree. This idea one can keep jobs from going overseas through legislation is close to ludicrous, except perhaps in the very short term. The Dems are running on empty on this issue, but I guess that is all they have left, along with bashing tax "cuts" for the rich, which in and of itself isn't working out very well for them from an electoral standpoint. Folks want the "rich" to hire them - the rest is secondary.

The bill might also violate GATT, and otherwise precipitate retaliation from our trade partners. But who cares about that little detail?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »

Those 45 Senators who voted to filibuster this should have their jobs offshored.

Anyone who thinks this bill is a good idea should be deported.

I thought you were a libertarian?

He is a Republican.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »

Huh? This bill wouldn't do anything to companies that export. It only impacts companies with employment operations overseas (and only affects them as far as their overseas employment operations are concerned, wouldn't affect operations in the US producing goods for export at all).

Or so exporters just dump the stuff on a ship an watch it sail away? They don't have quality inspectors, salesman, security, and various other people at the other end waiting for it? This bill would effect that, would it not. Say I decide to create 50 salesman positions in Hong Kong peddling my wares in the Chinese market, you are telling me this bill wouldn't effect me at all?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »

Those 45 Senators who voted to filibuster this should have their jobs offshored.

He is a Republican.

I am not and do not plan to ever be a Republican.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 02:02:12 AM »

He is a Republican.

Given your choice in candidates and what you said on that party thread it's an easy mistake.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »

Wow.  I wonder if Republicans are ever going to fix this loophole that lets the Democrats claim that there are tax breaks for companies that work overseas.

For those of you who don't know how corporate taxes work for international companies, the usual method is that each company pays taxes for the country they're doing business in, so a Japanese company selling in France would pay France's Corporation tax and not Japan's.

However this is not the case in the US.  The US corporate tax requires companies based in the US to pay the US corporate tax on all their income, along with the tax on foregin income that they have to pay to other countries.  However, this was removed rather sloppily by passing a separate law stating that US corporations don't have to pay Corporate tax on Out-of-country income.

Thus incentivizing companies not to be based in the US, right?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 05:46:51 AM »

The issue seems to be that it affects companies with employment operations overseas whether these produce products for import to the US or not. It would make every sense in the world for the US tax structure to actively hurt US-based companies producing products for the US market outside the US. It doesn't make sense to try to hurt US-based companies producing products for the European or Asian or whatever market in Europe or Asia.

That seems to be the core beef here.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »

He is a Republican.

Given your choice in candidates and what you said on that party thread it's an easy mistake.
I've only endorsed for Senate Libertarians, Constitutionalists, libertarian-oriented Republicans, and Republicans in races with only a Republican and a Democrat (and left-wing third parties).

My gubernatorial endorsements are all Republican except for Colorado because only economic policy matters at the state level.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies