U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey - unbelievers, Jews, and Mormons score highest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:21:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey - unbelievers, Jews, and Mormons score highest
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey - unbelievers, Jews, and Mormons score highest  (Read 1937 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »

http://www.pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx

U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey
 POLL September 28, 2010 

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions.

On average, Americans correctly answer 16 of the 32 religious knowledge questions on the survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life. Atheists and agnostics average 20.9 correct answers. Jews and Mormons do about as well, averaging 20.5 and 20.3 correct answers, respectively. Protestants as a whole average 16 correct answers; Catholics as a whole, 14.7. Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons perform better than other groups on the survey even after controlling for differing levels of education.

More info in link above.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »

Ranking's about as unsurprising as it could be.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:44:35 PM »

Yep, makes sense.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »

on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions.

outside of Christianity and old testament Judaism, I know about as little as I can of other religions....so I would probably score very low on this test
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions.
outside of Christianity and old testament Judaism, I know about as little as I can of other religions....so I would probably score very low on this test

That's a good way to approach life, actively learn as little as possible about things that might prove you wrong.  Good luck with that, Stalin.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »

That's a good way to approach life, actively learn as little as possible about things that might prove you wrong.  Good luck with that, Stalin.

can you just save me the time and tell me which religion proves Christianity to be wrong?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »

They all collectively prove themselves wrong with their insanity.  Isolating one for yourself is a way of insulating yourself from the fact that it's been done and is not a uniquely insightful work of fantasy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 05:22:18 PM »

They all collectively prove themselves wrong with their insanity.  Isolating one for yourself is a way of insulating yourself from the fact that it's been done and is not a uniquely insightful work of fantasy.

like I thought - you have nothing to say
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »

Haha yep, that doesn't exist.  Ok, Kim Jong Il.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »

So how do you evangelize others if you don't even know what they believe?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »

can you just save me the time and tell me which religion proves Christianity to be wrong?

You think having knowledge of other religious views is about confirming or dis confirming your own views.

That's pretty superficial faith.

I'm an agnostic and have no concerns about that - raised Anglican (Episcopalian), but I find the belief systems that drive others fascinating... but that doesn't mean I'm going change my beliefs based on that. I mean, I studied the rise of Nazism in Germany and 'Communism' in Russia... I'm neither a Nazi nor a Communist.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »

Well, there's this other book which says that it's the infallible word of the creator and that those who don't believe it are in for some unpleasantness. I'm sure you'll agree it's logic is as unassailable as your own.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »

For the most part the list makes sense.  Agnostics and Jews are well rounded, then a bunch of generics in the middle and the brown people at the bottom*.  The only thing sticking out at me are the Mormons.  Sure they're always nice and rarely moronic (it's much easier to find a moronic Baptist, Catholic or Sunni), but I've never taken them to be that knowledgeable about world religions.  I'd like to see how Islam would do here.

*is pointing that out racist?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 05:38:31 AM »

The Questions on Christianity are far more in-depth than the others. Also, more Anglosaxoncentric (The Great Awakening? Joseph Smith? Two questions on US Constitutional interpretation? Why the hell should anybody who's neither American nor Christian even care?)
Don't get me wrong, this was a survey about Americans' knowlege, most of whom are Christian, so it makes a considerable amount of sense, but it still needs pointing out.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2010, 12:41:02 PM by jmfcst »

wow, this was a pretty simple test, I got 13 out of 15 (top 7%)...I missed questions relating to Taoism/Hinduism/Buddhism.

LATE EDIT:  I guessed correctly the answer to "Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?"

...so, I really only "knew" 12 out of 15...I also checked the full version of the survey and there weren't any other questions on religion I didn't know.  So, as has been evident thoughout my years on this forum, I know very little about Taoism/Hinduism/Buddhism...and I don't know much history of the Christian church beyond what was written by the early church fathers and what is in the bible.

...basically, my test results would have been extremely predictable for anyone who knows me.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »

The results are similar to those of any knowledge-based IQ test. Peculiar that they didn't quiz Muslims or members of any of the Asian religions.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »

The Questions on Christianity are far more in-depth than the others. Also, more Anglosaxoncentric (The Great Awakening? Joseph Smith? Two questions on US Constitutional interpretation? Why the hell should anybody who's neither American nor Christian even care?)
Don't get me wrong, this was a survey about Americans' knowlege, most of whom are Christian, so it makes a considerable amount of sense, but it still needs pointing out.

Entirely in keeping with a knowledge- or culturally-based IQ test.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »

Isn't Jonathan Edwards the "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" guy?  I remembered his name in the quiz.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »

Isn't Jonathan Edwards the "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" guy?  I remembered his name in the quiz.

He is; we're studying him in APUSH
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 04:15:09 AM »

The results are similar to those of any knowledge-based IQ test. Peculiar that they didn't quiz Muslims or members of any of the Asian religions.

Insufficient sample size, I suppose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies