The most influental U.S. presidential loser of the 20th Century?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The most influental U.S. presidential loser of the 20th Century?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The most influental U.S. presidential loser of the 20th Century?  (Read 3952 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »

Out of the major parties, eventually strong third parties, nominees (thus, not counting loser for a nomination).

I'd say Barry Goldwater.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »

Um, how was Goldwater influential after losing in 1964? Nixon basically shut him out and Reagan brought in the influence of the big government evangelical fundamentalists Goldwater loved to criticize.

That's as ridiculous as saying McGovern was the most influential presidential loser of the 20th century.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:17:12 PM »

Richard Nixon
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

Hmm, not counting Nixon, I'm probably going to have to go with Goldwater, considering that he inspired a new generation of conservatives. He's rolling over in his grave today, though.

Other then that, Hughes had a very successful post-loser career, serving as Secretary of State and Chief Justice of the United States.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »

Bryan.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

Oh, yeah, how can I forget. Him too.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »

Not counting Nixon because he won eight years after his loss.

I'd say Goldwater because he inspired a new generation of conservatives, and Bryan because he inspired a new generation of liberals.
WillK

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

Hughes and Gore.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »

AuH2O, assuming incumbents that lost reelection as well as Nixon and TR don't count.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »

FDR

He ran for VP in 1920 Grin
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:10:34 PM »

Hoover.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:14:09 PM »

How was Hoover at all influential after 1932? The Republican Party even abandoned his conservative foreign policy and adopted FDR's internationalism. Robert Taft could not once get nominated.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt or Nixon (of course they also won).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »

The case for Hoover: FDR took some of Hoover's failed policies (particularly towards the end, 1932), multiplied them x10, and succeeded spectacularly. Then when WWII broke out, he took his own policies, multiplied them x10 again, and succeeded even more spectacularly.

The case for Goldwater: It's a little longer, but worth the read.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »

The case for Hoover: FDR took some of Hoover's failed policies (particularly towards the end, 1932), multiplied them x10, and succeeded spectacularly. Then when WWII broke out, he took his own policies, multiplied them x10 again, and succeeded even more spectacularly.

I'll agree that FDR was able to out-Hoover Hoover with his economic policies, but I wouldn't call it a spectacular success, except on the PR front.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »

Goldwater, while losing badly, with him winning a nomination ended the a longtime domination of people like Dewey and Rockefeller within the Republican Party, changed Republican strategy by aiming on the Dixie.

Yes, despite losing his presidential bid was most influental in a historical perspective.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »

I'll agree that FDR was able to out-Hoover Hoover with his economic policies, but I wouldn't call it a spectacular success, except on the PR front.

Decreasing unemployment by 15%, halting a nation-wide banking collapse, ending nearly 50 years of labor-management conflict,building some of the most lasting vestiges of beauty in the entire United States in the process, and then bringing this nation out of its most devastating depression with the buildup to WWII isn't a spectacular success?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »

And he saved the world (not singlehandedly), don't forget that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »

FDR was not a "presidential loser". He was a "vice presidential loser", ftr.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »

How was Hoover at all influential after 1932? The Republican Party even abandoned his conservative foreign policy and adopted FDR's internationalism. Robert Taft could not once get nominated.

Hoover managed to singlehandedly ruin America, and the effects of his ruination continue to be felt today.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »

Hoover managed to singlehandedly ruin America, and the effects of his ruination continue to be felt today.

Single-handedly ruin? Andrew Mellon, several senators, and the entire Federal Reserve (biggest culprit) certainly had a rather large hand in it themselves.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »

Single-handedly ruin? Andrew Mellon, several senators, and the entire Federal Reserve (biggest culprit) certainly had a rather large hand in it themselves.

Hoover just get the entire s**t hitting the air. While he indeed was a clumsy in dealing with depression, he's not the one responsible for collapse. Such things are long running processes with a deeper roots.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »

Decreasing unemployment by 15%, halting a nation-wide banking collapse, ending nearly 50 years of labor-management conflict,building some of the most lasting vestiges of beauty in the entire United States in the process, and then bringing this nation out of its most devastating depression with the buildup to WWII isn't a spectacular success?

Not by 15%, he briefly got it down to 14.3% in 1937 but really it was World War II that ended unemployment, not anything FDR did.

Halting the banking collapse, that was due entirely to his PR skills.

Ending nearly 50 years of labor-management conflict, oh really!?! Tell that to the textile workers.  The reason unions never caught on in the South as they did elsewhere was what happened with the textile workers strike of 1934 that happened under FDR's watch.  So I can't see how anyone with either a pro-labor or pro-management orientation could call FDR's handling of this area a spectacular success.

Building some of the most lasting vestiges of beauty in the entire United States ... Why do I suspect you are not a fan of Robert Moses?  That said, the WPA and the FERA before it were continuations of the ERA set up by Hoover in 1932.  The CCC wasn't started under Hoover, but similar conservation programs were being done in several places in both the US and Europe before FDR took office.

Bringing this nation out of its most devastating depression with the buildup to WWII ...  One would have to be as inept as Buchanan was to not get the US out of a depression thanks to WWII.

That said, while I don't hold FDR to be a saint, neither was he a demon.  He was an average president in extremely unaverage circumstances.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It depends on which numbers you use, the statistics you use don't count relief workers which I think is very disingenuous to the topic, and if you use figures that count relief workers it slots in right below 10%. Even using only private nonfarm unemployment it went lower than 14.3%, actually.

Yes halting the banking collapse was due to his PR skills, why doesn't he deserve due credit for something that was 100% on him such as his PR skills? PR skills are vital to a good presidency in time of crisis and if his were such that he stopped one of the worst threats to our banking system than I'd say he's put them to a very good use.

The RFC helped briefly with Banks as well, but that was Hoovers beast as you know.

There were other examples of strikes and labor-management conflict you declined to cite. San Fransisco in 1934, for example, was one rather nasty one that was poorly handled by Roosevelt & Co. He has blemishes on his record for sure. Also the NRA was pretty much fascist and by far the most anti-labor pro-management alphabet agency of the New Deal, so don't discount that in your argument.

The problem with using something that happened in 1934 to say he had a poor record on that, was that it ignores the Wagner Act (1935) which radically altered the balance of power from management to labor, and at least temporarily brought a form of mediation to the constant bickering. It wasn't a perfect system (strikes were rampant and a bit too much power was given to big labor), but it ended the even more unbalanced status quo that had previously existed for 50 years, yes.

Robert Moses isn't the sum of all New Deal beautification and construction projects.

The WPA was not really a continuation of the ERA, but rather the Roosevelt era Civil Works Administration. The PWA (Public Works Administration) was continued a good deal of the Public Works spending that was in the ERA.

The FERA emergency dole was a continuation of the relief given by the ERA, but greater in size and administrative prowess (thanks to Hopkins). This is pretty much consistent with my belief that FDR's brand of relief was mostly a continuation of Hoover's policies, but implemented on a larger scale as well as more effective scale (also its important to note most of Hoovers emergency spending didn't really begin until 1932), and that Hoover was simply the wrong man at the wrong time.

It well known he was merely a very strong advocate of a national level conservation corps (based on the success of the examples you mentioned) rather than its originator. I think I'm missing your point in this here somewhere?

This postulates that US involvement in WWII was inevitable and a complete accident. Thats not a view I can reconcile with. Certainly the buildup and mobilization could have been ordered much later than it was IRL.

I'd say the circumstances and the fact that the country is still here today automatically make him above average, but flawed. I don't think the New Deal got us out of the Depression (sane), but certain aspects of it definitely did something to alleviate the worst of it while the Fed got its house in order and WWII loomed.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »

Hoover just get the entire s**t hitting the air. While he indeed was a clumsy in dealing with depression, he's not the one responsible for collapse. Such things are long running processes with a deeper roots.

I actually exonerate Hoover of the blame. While his attempt at wage-fixing was a definite contributor to the problem (indeed several studies of the Great Depression find Sticky Wages to be among the most compelling causes up there with the tariff and money contraction), I'd generally say he was the wrong man at the wrong time and that a couple of his policies towards the end did genuinely help.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies