AK-Sen: Ivan Moore (D) sez Miller 43, McAdams 28, Murkowski 18
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:50:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  AK-Sen: Ivan Moore (D) sez Miller 43, McAdams 28, Murkowski 18
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AK-Sen: Ivan Moore (D) sez Miller 43, McAdams 28, Murkowski 18  (Read 2219 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »
« edited: September 30, 2010, 03:50:44 PM by Sam Spade »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38480785/AK-Sen-Ivan-Moore

Just FYI, Ivan Moore is the infamous D pollster who did polls for KTUU during 2004 that consistently showed Knowles leading Murkowski, so caveat emptor.  No mention of Murkowski is made in the question.

Topline Numbers
Miller 43%
McAdams 28%
Murkowski 18%
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »

Just FYI, Ivan Moore is the infamous D pollster who did polls for KTUU during 2004 that consistently showed Knowles leading Murkowski, so caveat emptor.  No mention of Murkowski is made in the question.

Topline Numbers
Miller 43%
McAdams 28%
Murkowski 18%

Well, here's the thing. Apparently they did a followup question where they mentioned that Murkowski would be a write-in option and here were the results:

Murkowski 43%
Miller 36%
McAdams 14%

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/09/30/murkowski_viable_as_write-in_candidate.html

Whacker77

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »

I just don't see how these numbers are possible.  High name ID matters if your name is on the ballot, but her name won't be.  Honestly, I don't see how this race can be accurately polled.  I see her finishing in third and possible a distant third.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »

Just FYI, Ivan Moore is the infamous D pollster who did polls for KTUU during 2004 that consistently showed Knowles leading Murkowski, so caveat emptor.  

How much of a lead did they show? Murkowski only narrowly defeated Knowles, and Republicans did better that year than predicted by a slight margin.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

Just FYI, Ivan Moore is the infamous D pollster who did polls for KTUU during 2004 that consistently showed Knowles leading Murkowski, so caveat emptor.  

How much of a lead did they show? Murkowski only narrowly defeated Knowles, and Republicans did better that year than predicted by a slight margin.

Consistently showed Knowles up 2-5, Murkowski won by 3.  My bigger complaint was, though, that KTUU put him out as being an Independent pollster when he's always been a Democratic pollster.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »

From all the crazy polling, I'd consider this race to still be a toss-up/lean Republican.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »

From all the crazy polling, I'd consider this race to still be a toss-up/lean Republican.

Lean Republican or lean Republican (write-in)? Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »

I just don't see how these numbers are possible.  High name ID matters if your name is on the ballot, but her name won't be.  Honestly, I don't see how this race can be accurately polled.

Mark Blumenthal has a good column on this in HuffPuff:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/30/yet-another-alaska-poll-s_n_745844.html

He notes that in the Ivan Moore poll, the initial question is:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

with no mention of Murkowski, but 18% still said "I'm writing in Murkowski" or something like that, and those responses were recorded.  The follow up question was:

and her support then jumped to 43%.  Obviously, that's a loaded way of putting the question, but it shows how the biggest variable in Murkowski's support is how good a job she does at voter education, letting people know that she's running a write in campaign, and what they need to do to vote for her.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »

Polling for a write-in candidate is just too hard to be reliable.  Plus, even if people actually write her in, they have to spell her name right... and that's just gonna be a whole other mess.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »

Polling for a write-in candidate is just too hard to be reliable.  Plus, even if people actually write her in, they have to spell her name right... and that's just gonna be a whole other mess.

The Secretary of State, I believe, has already said that misspelled write-ins will be accepted if the intent was clear enough.  It'll be rather like the 'Shelley Draculac**nt Gibbs' situation in 2006.
Whacker77

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »

I think the Lt. Governor said the name would in fact need to be spelled correctly.  Maybe newer information has been issued.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »

I think the Lt. Governor said the name would in fact need to be spelled correctly.  Maybe newer information has been issued.

Last I heard, the Alaskan Department of Elections was seeking a legal opinion on what would and wouldn't be counted as a vote for Murkowski.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »

http://www.adn.com/2010/09/11/1449989/alaska-ear.html

That opinion may not be legally binding, but I think it's clear that they're at least intending to accept stuff like "Lisa Merkowsky".  As I understand it, Alaska law says it's a question of the intent of the voter, so being one or two letters off shouldn't matter.
Whacker77

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »

"Intent of the voter."  I'm having terrible flashbacks to Florida.  I really hope Murkowski doesn't try and muck up the situation by clinging to her seat with misspelled names or other forms odd vote counting.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 07:12:57 AM »

http://www.adn.com/2010/09/11/1449989/alaska-ear.html

That opinion may not be legally binding, but I think it's clear that they're at least intending to accept stuff like "Lisa Merkowsky".  As I understand it, Alaska law says it's a question of the intent of the voter, so being one or two letters off shouldn't matter.

That should be funny if the election is really close ... Tongue

BTW:

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 05:00:49 AM »

The Secretary of State, I believe, has already said that misspelled write-ins will be accepted if the intent was clear enough.  It'll be rather like the 'Shelley Draculac**nt Gibbs' situation in 2006.

Back when she declared her write-in candidacy, the media people were saying it'd have to be spelled correctly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies