Feds Order NYC To Change Every Single Street Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Feds Order NYC To Change Every Single Street Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Feds Order NYC To Change Every Single Street Sign  (Read 3203 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »

This, of course, has a profound impact on interstate commerce, and is therefor within the purview of Congress.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »

This, of course, has a profound impact on interstate commerce, and is therefor within the purview of Congress.

At this point, it may be a good idea to just repeal the commerce clause. It's more trouble than it's worth.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2010, 08:53:29 PM by Herp Derp »

At this point, it may be a good idea to just repeal the commerce clause. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Indeed.

Look at the poll results.  Sixty percent of people who voted think this is a good idea.  Lolberals.  And they say Truthers and Birthers are stupid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »

This is a fantastic move economically speaking.  We need more of this - with the stipulation that the money be printed to pay for it, and that the workers doing it make $30/hour.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 05:39:47 AM »

Uh, why should the lifespan of a roadsign be only ten years? Unless they're really, really shoddily manufactured?

It could be that the printing of the name on the background takes a beating and the letters either darken or peel off.

Or the supports start to rust; remember they're out in all weathers.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 06:07:47 AM »

Uh, why should the lifespan of a roadsign be only ten years? Unless they're really, really shoddily manufactured?

It could be that the printing of the name on the background takes a beating and the letters either darken or peel off.

Their deadline is two years less (20%) than the average longevity of a street sign.  That hardly makes it a case of replacing the signs as would be normal.

...But many street signs would already be nearing replacement.

FWIW, there are still street signs around here for the City of Port Melbourne, which means at least 15 years old.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »

Or the supports start to rust; remember they're out in all weathers.
They'd have to be pretty damn sh!tty manufacture for that to happen this quickly. Seeing as they're not in contact with the earth.

More likely it's some set date at which there's a reasonable chance they might conceivably need replacing even without having suffered a major accident ... carved into by-law as an "average" by some greedy manufacturer with an inside track to the bureaucracy. It's the way of the world.

We actually had a similar issue in Germany recently. There'd been minor to middling changes to the design of a large number of roadsigns (not street name signs)... not sure of the exact year, round about 1989 I think. Of course the old signs remained valid for an undetermined "interim".
And a propos of the official abolution of a few obsolete signs this year, bureaucrats thought it cool to terminate that "interim" rule. Had to eat their words on that after a storm of protest from the municipalities who would have had to foot the cost  - only West German municipalities, btw - the east has post-88 signs, obviously. As does any road built afterwards in the west, or where traffic directions changed. But not many outside of that, as traffic signs can actually last nigh-on forever. Though the federal bureaucrats apparently had some figure of a 15 years lifetime.

I also found an article from the city of Düsseldorf stating that their streetname signs hold "15 to 30 years on average"... or rather the ones they used til 1995 did, the current issue ought to have a slightly longer life expectancy.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 09:10:37 AM »

Yes, but presumably your signs are made in Germany.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 09:50:23 AM »

Uh, remind me again where Bush 43 signed in Executive Order into existence?  Or is it something from the Transportation Department.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »

Uh, remind me again where Bush 43 signed in Executive Order into existence?  Or is it something from the Transportation Department.

I didn't think he did. Someone else said "executive order" and I didn't think that was what happened.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »

I didn't think he did. Someone else said "executive order" and I didn't think that was what happened.

Oops, sorry, bro.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »

Huh

New York City spans two different states (New York and Connecticut), and roads are the transportation network that bring things from one state to the next.  Honestly, I can't think of a more cut-and-dried case of interstate commerce than this.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »

Huh

New York City spans two different states (New York and Connecticut), and roads are the transportation network that bring things from one state to the next.  Honestly, I can't think of a more cut-and-dried case of interstate commerce than this.

Make that three states; you forgot New Jersey as part of the Greater NYC area.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

Seems like a pretty good economic stimulus measure to me.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »

Huh

I didn't forget, but this order only applies to New York City, not to its metropolitan area.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »

Huh

I didn't forget, but this order only applies to New York City, not to its metropolitan area.

Of course, although people from Jersey will also be coming to NYC on a daily basis to work. And from the older Jersey for holidays.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »

Huh

Street signs have nothing to do with actual interstate commerce.  The Commerce Clause was not meant to apply to things that might effect interstate commerce, like education.

Seems like a pretty good economic stimulus measure waste of money to me.

Fix'd
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »

Huh

New York City is located entirely in the state of New York.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »

New Yorkers outraged as bureaucrats order city to change lettering on every single street sign

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm so glad we have a centralized federal government with ingenuous bureaucrats to save us from the horrors of upper-case street signs. Roll Eyes

Personally I think the ALL CAPS signs are clearer to read anyway.

*facepalm* (towards the government)

I actually agree Libertas, the signs are great as they are, the government's proposed change would be a leap backward.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »

Huh

Yes, but the fact is NYC has a vast metropolitan area; 19 million people live in commuting distance.

I like the altered sign design. It's more friendly and less stark.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »

Huh

This has noting to do with regulating interstate commerce. Interstate commerce can take place just fine with the uppercase font signs that New Yorkers are quite used to by now. And NYC is not in Connecticut.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »

Huh

Yes, but the fact is NYC has a vast metropolitan area; 19 million people live in commuting distance.

I like the altered sign design. It's more friendly and less stark.

That doesn't fit New York's personality anyway. The quaint new signs look more appropriate for a sleepy suburb in Connecticut than for NYC.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »

A vital issue.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies