The Concession Speech We'd Like to Hear
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The Concession Speech We'd Like to Hear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Concession Speech We'd Like to Hear  (Read 32780 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2004, 01:57:33 PM »

The concession speech I wish Kerry would have given.

My fellow Americans, the people of this nation have spoken, and spoken with a clear voice. So I am here to offer my concession.
[Boos, groans, rending of garments]

I concede that I overestimated the intelligence of the American people.  Though the people disagree with the President on almost every issue, you saw fit to vote for him. I never saw that coming.  That's really special. And
I  mean "special" in the sense that we use it to describe those kids who ride the short school bus and find ways to injure themselves while eating pudding with rubber spoons. That kind of special.

I concede that I misjudged the power of hate.  That's pretty powerful stuff, and I didn't see it. So let me take a moment to congratulate the President's strategists: Putting the gay marriage amendments on the ballot in various
swing states like Ohio... well, that was just genius. Genius. It got people, a certain kind of people, to the polls.  The unprecedented number of folks who showed up and cited "moral values" as their biggest issue, those people changed history. The folks who consider same sex marriage a more important issue than war, or terrorism, or the economy.  Who'd have thought the election would belong to them? Well, Karl Rove did. Gotta give it up to him for that. [Boos.]

Now, now.  Credit where it's due.

I concede that I put too much faith in America's youth. With 8 out of 10 of you opposing the President, with your friends and classmates dying daily in a war you disapprove of, with your future being mortgaged to pay for rich old peoples' tax breaks, you somehow managed to sit on your asses and
watch the Cartoon Network while aging homophobic hillbillies carried the day.

You voted with the exact same anemic percentage that you did in 2000. You suck. Seriously, y'do. [Cheers, applause]

Thank you.  Thank you very much.

There are some who would say that I sound bitter, that now is the time for healing, to bring the nation together. Let me tell  you a little story. Last night, I watched the returns come in with some friends. As the night progressed, people began to talk half-seriously about secession, a red state / blue state split. The reasoning was this:  We in blue states produce the vast majority of the wealth in this country and pay the most taxes, and you in the red states receive the majority of the money from those taxes while complaining about 'em.  We in the blue states are the only ones who've been attacked by foreign terrorists, yet you in the red states are gung ho to fight a war in our name. We in the blue states produce the entertainment that you consume so greedily each day, while you in the red states show open disdain for us and our values. Blue state civilians are the actual victims and targets of the war on terror, while red state civilians are the ones standing behind us and yelling "Oh, yeah!  Bring it on!"

More than 40% of you Bush voters still believe that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11. I'm impressed by that, truly I am. Your sons and daughters who might die in this war know it's not true, the people in the urban centers where al Qaeda wants to attack know it's not true, but those of you who are at practically no risk believe this easy lie because you can. As part of my concession speech, let me say that I really envy that luxury. I concede that.

Healing? We, the people at risk from terrorists, the people who subsidize you, the people who speak in glowing and respectful terms about the heartland of America while that heartland insults and excoriates us.  We wanted some healing. We spoke loud and clear. And you refused to give it to us, largely because of your "high moral values."  You knew better: America doesn't need its allies, doesn't need to share the burden, doesn't need to unite the world, doesn't need to provide for its future. Hell no. Not when
it has a human shield of pointy-headed, atheistic, unconfrontational breadwinners who are willing to pay the bills and play nice in the vain hope of winning a vote that we can never have. Because we're "morally inferior," I suppose, we are supposed to respect your values while you insult ours. And the big joke here is that for 20 years, we've done just that.  It's not a "ha-ha" funny joke, I realize, but it's a joke all the same.

And I make this pledge to you today: THIS time, next time, there will be no pandering. This time I will run with all the open and joking contempt for my opponents that our President demonstrated towards the cradle of liberty,
the Ivy League intellectuals, the "media elite," and the "white-wine sippers." This time I will not pretend that the simple folk of America know just as much as the people who devote their lives to serving and studying the nation and the world. They don't.  So that's why I'm asking for your vote in 2008, America. I'm talking to you, you ignorant, slack-jawed yokels, you bible-thumping, inbred drones, you redneck, racist, chest-thumping, perennially duped grade-school grads.  Vote for me, because I know better, and I truly believe that I can help your smug, sorry asses.

Thank you, and may God bless each and every one of you.
shankbear

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 02:06:27 PM »

Well hey Kerry surrogate:  you friggin' lost so crap and bark at the moon you troll.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 02:07:38 PM »

Another demonstration of why Democrats lose.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:15:06 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2004, 02:24:48 PM by Mikem »

Your right I would have liked to hear that.  1 speech like that and every quasi-rational democrat in the country would realize that their party has been hijacked by left wing radicals, and would leave the party in droves.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:42:21 PM »

Well hey Kerry surrogate:  you friggin' lost so crap and bark at the moon you troll.

Everyone who disagrees with you is labeled a troll.  I post something which is clearly intended for humor and I'm a troll.

You know what?  I'm sick of playing nice with you guys.  Throw insults at me and I reply rationally.  Enough of it.  If you can't see humor and sarcasm then go get bent shank.  Or actually contribute some content (either humor or a meaningful post).  So far all I've seen from you is venom and namecalling.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:19:14 PM »

Wakie,

Your comments are typical of the Loony Left.  Typical, typical, typical.

You assume that everyone that disagrees with you is:  A. Stupid, or B. Evil.  It's things like this that show not only why Kerry lost, but why Kerry deserved to lose.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »

It wasn't even funny.
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 04:30:48 PM »

I was going to make a detail response to this tirade, but there are so many inaccuracies and fallacies, it would take forever to get through.  And judging by the tone, it would be a waste of time.

Number 1, it isn't humourous.  And you know it wasn't meant to be either.  It was a way of venting you anger.

Number 2, rational and sane discussion is one thing.  Name calling, on both sides, will never persuade anybody to change their mind.

But in case you are open to 'rational discussion', here is one point:

You cite the same sex marriage ban.  In all 11 states that it was on the ballot, it passed.  In fact, it passed by a much greater margain than Bush beat Kerry in the same state.  Evidently, many democrats voted for it; they must be that 'certain kind of people' too.  'Morality' is not just 'same sex marriage'.  Morality is also honesty, integrity, sanctity of life and a host of other things.  It can also include why and if we go to war.  Is it 'morally just' to sit by idly while a dictator slaughter millions of his own people?  Questions like that, can be grouped under the 'morality' answer.

For now, I hope you'll see this as a 'civil' response.

shankbear

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 04:35:21 PM »

Wakie just chill dude/dudette.  To blame the devastating loss on everything but that lost and dying party is intellectually dishonest at best.  The left has so poisoned the Democrat party that it is unrecognizable.  The Kerrys and Edwardses and Lockharts and McCauliffs of the party have sent it on its slide, hopefully into oblivion.

It is only thinly veiled as sarcasm or humor at best and just excuse making and blaming at worst.  The humor gets lost in the poison.

That speech would kill that party as dead as Yasser Arafat.  Oh...he's alive....no he's dead.....whatever.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 04:52:23 PM »

I concede that I overestimated the intelligence of the American people. 

Wakie, excellent post.. and the line above completely sums up the whole election.

It also, oddly enough, reveals that Kerry is a somewhat decent man, if that is possible in politics.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 05:00:10 PM »

I'm so glad that Wakie represents about as many democrats as Ed Heeney does Republicans.
shankbear

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »

Wakie and Opebus defunctus love to slam this country and the MAJORITY who voted for President Bush.  The backhanded attempt at humor shows a lack of depth and a slow minded approach to all the issues the "concession speech" addressed.

It is blame the guy who goes and makes a living every day.  You assert that they ride the short buses.  You demean those who build this country and you demean those who, by circumstances beyond their control, really do ride the short buses.  If a conservative had said that you screamimg LIBERALS would have a sh*t fit.

Without fanfare or alerts, Wakie and Opebus defunctus get the GRADE "A" NUMBER ONE MYOPIC FECKLESS CRAPWEASEL AWARD for 2004.  If any other LIBS want to make an attempt to seize it from those two please feel free to go for it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 05:29:44 PM »

Shankbear, although I share your disdain, from what I've seen the majority of what you've posted on the forums has been rather nasty, and hasn't exactly contributed to easing the partisanship that we were hoping was going to calm down after the elections.

If you see something that you consider to be a trollish post, the best possible method is to simply ignore it. Otherwise, half the threads on this board are going to be flame wars.
shankbear

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 05:34:57 PM »

nation

Just a counter, in a fun and harmless way, to the vitriolic left slams of this country, religion and anybody else who does not agree with them.

i will limit the awards to special ocassions.  : )
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 05:52:09 PM »

My post was an attempt at humor.  Poor taste humor, but I was amused by it.  I think some of you really do believe that somehow posting on a random political message board is going to influence elections.  Sad.

As for the Engineer's claim of "inaccuracies" in my post, let's discuss 'em.

The Gay Marriage Ban was a blatant attempt by the right-wing to turn out their base in certain states (OH, OR, LA, MI).  It certainly worked.  And it certainly is a play to bigots in our society.  I'm sorry but if you are against giving a gay couple the same rights as a straight couple then you are a bigot.  They aren't interfering in your relationship, why should you interfere in their relationship?

I absolutely agree with you that morality is more than just who sleeps together.

Morality is about honesty.  And we have a President who lied to the American people about why we should go to war.  The President even lies about what he says (see his debate comment where lied about saying he doesn't think that much about Bin Laden).

Morality is about integrity.  To me Bush lost all integrity when he came to Pittsburgh for a fund raiser proudly boasting about the steel tariffs he had put in place.  2 days later he lifted them.  Now regardless of whether you think they were good or bad, Bush clearly misled the people of Pittsburgh.  He knew he was lifting those tariffs.  But as long as there was campaign money to collect he was going to play on them.

Morality is about the sanctity of life.  But President Bush is a huge supporter of the death penalty.  Also, although President Bush wants to eliminate all abortions, and that sounds nice, it doesn't account for those which are necessary to save the life of the mother.  So I guess the life of a pregnant woman isn't that important to Bush.

Morality is about why and when to go to war.  Bush didn't go into Iraq to disarm a dictator.  The world is full of dictators.  Look at Sudan.  Bush isn't doing anything about that.  The Reagan administration (which Bush's father and Dick Cheney were part of) built up Saddam.  They sold him the chemical weapons he used on his own people.  We knew he used them on his own people.  Don't play the Bush/Iraq Morality card.  It is an absolute failure.

Morality is about a "host of other things".  Morality is about taking care of your fellow man.  "What you do to the least of my brothers you do to me."  But the GOP can't wait to cut social programs which help the poor.

I'm sorry but George W Bush may talk a lot about religion, but he is not a moral man.
shankbear

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 06:03:23 PM »

Wakie,

you have debunked yourself.  This was NOT an attempt at humor.  You simply carried on the libweasel attacks on America.  It is truly the attitude which I would expect when your partyy has had its hat handed to it in an election.  It is blame somebody else...blame religion....blame those who disagree with the radical agendas of the left......blame.

As to morality...Kerry is and was an empty soul playing to the crowd.  He grabbed onto his Catholic faith when it benefitted him.  Shameless.  Pitiful.  Wrong.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:43:52 PM »

Blah blah blah.  You know I really don't care if you believe me.  I have nothing to gain or to lose.  So, believe it was meant to be humor or don't.

BTW, I'm not "blaming" anything for the lose of this election and certainly not religion.

Just remember, over the next 4 years whenever the government screws something up that is the Republicans screwing it up.  You control all 3 branches.  You have more control now than we did in '92-'94.

Hope Smarmy George doesn't fall off the wagon.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 06:55:39 PM »

We don't have 60 votes in the Senate.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 07:33:21 PM »

This is an excellent example of why the Democrats will continue to lose until they change their image.

Calling voters dumb doesn't win a lot of votes.  Neither does contempt.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 11:11:39 PM »

As for the Engineer's claim of "inaccuracies" in my post, let's discuss 'em.

The Gay Marriage Ban was a blatant attempt by the right-wing to turn out their base in certain states (OH, OR, LA, MI).  It certainly worked.  

Hey, Sleepy, if it "worked" so well, why did Kerry win two of those four states?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 03:59:07 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2004, 04:01:32 AM by Wakie »

This is an excellent example of why the Democrats will continue to lose until they change their image.

Yes, I personally am responsible for the Democratic Party image.

Does this mean StatesRights is personally responsible for the Republican Party image?  What was it he said today on the Congressional Board?  Ahh yes, "your party (Democrats) hates America and its freedom.  You're a bunch of latte sipping, limps who love Europe."

What was it that Jim Quinn (a prominent conservative talk show host in Pittsburgh) said the day of the election?  "If you don't vote for George W Bush you are a traitor to America.  And a morally bankrupt idiot."

What was it that President George W Bush said about where "the real work of America is done"?  Ah yes, in the middle of the country.  Implying that no work is done in cities along our coast lines.

But me ... one little random guy on a random political website ... I am a great affront.
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you Wakie, the flu makes thinking and writing difficult.

Equating a ban on same sex marriage and bigotry is intellectually wrong.  Because my convictions are that people of the same sex do not fit the traditional definition of marriage does not make me a bigot.  Because you don't agree with my views, does that make you bigoted towards me?  No, it means we have different convictions.  The majority of the nation believes that a "marriage" should be defined as between a man and a woman.  If we redefine the traditional definition of marriage to include same sex partners, must we also accommodate those who believe in polygamy?

If same sex partners want 'equality' then introduce legislation allowing civil unions.  Let those who don't believe in marriage, but just want to live together join with them.  The reason same sex marriage bans were on the ballots was that people were tired of judges legislating from the bench.  A judge is supposed to interpret the law, not make it.  The legislature is empowered to make laws.

In response to the 'President lied to us' about WMD.  All the intelligence reports, the fact that Saddam used chemical weapons on his own people and never brought forth proof of their destruction, led the President to declare that Saddam had WMD.  The President of course was Bill Clinton.  The same was echoed by John Kerry.  So using your logic, we must call them liars also.

And let us not forget that WMD was only one of sixteen (I believe) reasons for going to war against Saddam.  Everybody conveniently forgets all the other reasons.

And does President Bush spend all his time thinking about Bin Laden?  In the debate, he says he doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about Bin Laden.  Unless you can read his mind, you don't know how much time he spends thinking about him.  So to say that he lied about that, is an unsupportable statement.

Since I don't have the facts about his Pittsburgh trip and haven't researched it, I'll not comment on it beyond the following.  At the time he was in Pittsburgh, the WTO was trying to place huge penalties against the US for the tariff.  The administration was probably trying to use all legal avenues possible to get around them.  If they would have found some way, Bush may not have removed the tariff.  So to say that he 'knew' he was going to remove the tariffs in two days, is intellectually dishonest, unless you are a mind reader.

As time permits, I'll finish my responses to your comments.

And something for you to chew on.  Kerry, when asked if he had released all his naval records responded that 'all the document that I have are posted on my website.'  This may be true and probably is, however it didn't answer the question.  There are still document, which he may not have in his possession, which the Navy states that they have.  In an interview with Tom Brokaw, Kerry stated that all his records hadn't been release when talking about his and Bush's IQ.  Kerry never signed form DOD180 (?) releasing all his Naval records.   Does this show integrity and honesty?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 12:52:04 PM »

Yes, I personally am responsible for the Democratic Party image.

Does this mean StatesRights is personally responsible for the Republican Party image?  What was it he said today on the Congressional Board?  Ahh yes, "your party (Democrats) hates America and its freedom.  You're a bunch of latte sipping, limps who love Europe."

What was it that Jim Quinn (a prominent conservative talk show host in Pittsburgh) said the day of the election?  "If you don't vote for George W Bush you are a traitor to America.  And a morally bankrupt idiot."

What was it that President George W Bush said about where "the real work of America is done"?  Ah yes, in the middle of the country.  Implying that no work is done in cities along our coast lines.

But me ... one little random guy on a random political website ... I am a great affront.

I said its a good example.  Because you aren't the only one saying this.  Several of the Democrats on this board are.  Which means that a good portion of the party is thinking this way.
Shira

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 01:32:41 PM »

I concede that it was stupid to listen to my advisors, who suggested obscuring my position on Iraq (wrongly assuming that the war is popular). My real position is not much different than the Kennedy one.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »

Even though I voted for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies