The Concession Speech We'd Like to Hear (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:47:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The Concession Speech We'd Like to Hear (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Concession Speech We'd Like to Hear  (Read 32856 times)
Engineer
Rookie

« on: November 10, 2004, 04:30:48 PM »

I was going to make a detail response to this tirade, but there are so many inaccuracies and fallacies, it would take forever to get through.  And judging by the tone, it would be a waste of time.

Number 1, it isn't humourous.  And you know it wasn't meant to be either.  It was a way of venting you anger.

Number 2, rational and sane discussion is one thing.  Name calling, on both sides, will never persuade anybody to change their mind.

But in case you are open to 'rational discussion', here is one point:

You cite the same sex marriage ban.  In all 11 states that it was on the ballot, it passed.  In fact, it passed by a much greater margain than Bush beat Kerry in the same state.  Evidently, many democrats voted for it; they must be that 'certain kind of people' too.  'Morality' is not just 'same sex marriage'.  Morality is also honesty, integrity, sanctity of life and a host of other things.  It can also include why and if we go to war.  Is it 'morally just' to sit by idly while a dictator slaughter millions of his own people?  Questions like that, can be grouped under the 'morality' answer.

For now, I hope you'll see this as a 'civil' response.

Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you Wakie, the flu makes thinking and writing difficult.

Equating a ban on same sex marriage and bigotry is intellectually wrong.  Because my convictions are that people of the same sex do not fit the traditional definition of marriage does not make me a bigot.  Because you don't agree with my views, does that make you bigoted towards me?  No, it means we have different convictions.  The majority of the nation believes that a "marriage" should be defined as between a man and a woman.  If we redefine the traditional definition of marriage to include same sex partners, must we also accommodate those who believe in polygamy?

If same sex partners want 'equality' then introduce legislation allowing civil unions.  Let those who don't believe in marriage, but just want to live together join with them.  The reason same sex marriage bans were on the ballots was that people were tired of judges legislating from the bench.  A judge is supposed to interpret the law, not make it.  The legislature is empowered to make laws.

In response to the 'President lied to us' about WMD.  All the intelligence reports, the fact that Saddam used chemical weapons on his own people and never brought forth proof of their destruction, led the President to declare that Saddam had WMD.  The President of course was Bill Clinton.  The same was echoed by John Kerry.  So using your logic, we must call them liars also.

And let us not forget that WMD was only one of sixteen (I believe) reasons for going to war against Saddam.  Everybody conveniently forgets all the other reasons.

And does President Bush spend all his time thinking about Bin Laden?  In the debate, he says he doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about Bin Laden.  Unless you can read his mind, you don't know how much time he spends thinking about him.  So to say that he lied about that, is an unsupportable statement.

Since I don't have the facts about his Pittsburgh trip and haven't researched it, I'll not comment on it beyond the following.  At the time he was in Pittsburgh, the WTO was trying to place huge penalties against the US for the tariff.  The administration was probably trying to use all legal avenues possible to get around them.  If they would have found some way, Bush may not have removed the tariff.  So to say that he 'knew' he was going to remove the tariffs in two days, is intellectually dishonest, unless you are a mind reader.

As time permits, I'll finish my responses to your comments.

And something for you to chew on.  Kerry, when asked if he had released all his naval records responded that 'all the document that I have are posted on my website.'  This may be true and probably is, however it didn't answer the question.  There are still document, which he may not have in his possession, which the Navy states that they have.  In an interview with Tom Brokaw, Kerry stated that all his records hadn't been release when talking about his and Bush's IQ.  Kerry never signed form DOD180 (?) releasing all his Naval records.   Does this show integrity and honesty?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies