Looking ahead to 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Looking ahead to 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looking ahead to 2014  (Read 2022 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »

To 2014.  I know we're still 4 weeks from 2010 mid-terms, let alone starting 2012, but what about 2014?  With the big Democratic year in 2008, do you see a Republican year in 2014 or is it way too early to tell?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »

Please stop trolling my board - thank you.  Smiley
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:49:07 PM »

Umm, way too far away to even attempt a prediction on what kind of year it will be.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:09 PM »

Umm, way too far away to even attempt a prediction on what kind of year it will be.

Well, we would have a reasonable starting point of Republican gains in Congress in 2014 if Obama gets re-elected and Democratic gains in Congress if he does not.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »

Well, we would have a reasonable starting point of Republican gains in Congress in 2014 if Obama gets re-elected and Democratic gains in Congress if he does not.

Also depends on what the economy looks like in 2014.  If its roaring, we could see another 1998, especially if Republicans hold the majority. 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »

Obama as President-Another horrible midterm for Democrats
Republican President-Either slight Republican gains or slight Democratic gains
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »

In 2014, I think it's going to be hard to find seats Democrats can win back. Almost all Republican-held seats are in the South and Mormon triangle. The only seats I can see Democrats winning is Kentucky if McConnell runs for reelection and Maine if Collins loses the primary. If Republicans have the White House and have low approvals, Georgia and Texas could also become competitive.

As for seats Republicans win, it all depends on the mood. Alaska has a great chance of switching, and Louisiana, Minnesota, and North Carolina all will probably be competitive, as will New Hampshire. Who knows after that?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »

In 2014, I think it's going to be hard to find seats Democrats can win back. Almost all Republican-held seats are in the South and Mormon triangle. The only seats I can see Democrats winning is Kentucky if McConnell runs for reelection and Maine if Collins loses the primary. If Republicans have the White House and have low approvals, Georgia and Texas could also become competitive.

As for seats Republicans win, it all depends on the mood. Alaska has a great chance of switching, and Louisiana, Minnesota, and North Carolina all will probably be competitive, as will New Hampshire. Who knows after that?

2014 could also see at least 3-5 Democratic Senate retirements in blue(Atlas color)/swing states, in which I would find the Democrats being hard pressed to hold should Obama be President in 2014. Especially if he were to have the approvals he has now.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »

Off the top of my head, Dems could easily lose Arkansas, Louisiana, Colorado, Virginia, Alaska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, and New Jersey.

Republicans could lose Maine and maybe South Carolina given how unpopular Grahmn is with the SC Republican party right now.

That's the problem with wave elections.  You sweep up all the easy seats, which means you have slim pickings for the next cycle.  Republicans don't hold a single seat in that senate group aside from Maine that went anything less than 53% McCain.  Not exactly solid turf for them.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »

2014 could also see at least 3-5 Democratic Senate retirements in blue(Atlas color)/swing states, in which I would find the Democrats being hard pressed to hold should Obama be President in 2014. Especially if he were to have the approvals he has now.

If Obama gets reelected, he'll likely have much higher approval ratings in 2014 as unemployment will likely be below 7% for the first time in six years and the economy will be back on track. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

If Obama gets reelected, he'll likely have much higher approval ratings in 2014 as unemployment will likely be below 7% for the first time in six years and the economy will be back on track.  

Don't assume such as anything can happen economically between now and then, and if that is the case it will be a very hollow recovery with many effects of the recession still remaining in my opinion.

Then again, who knows?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »

Don't assume such as anything can happen economically between now and then, and if that is the case it will be a very hollow recovery with many effects of the recession still remaining in my opinion.

Then again, who knows?

If its enough for Obama to get reelected in 2012, the economy should be in pretty good shape by 2014. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »

Then again, who knows?

If its enough for Obama to get reelected in 2012, the economy should be in pretty good shape by 2014. 

I figure Obama is going to get reelected more due to a horrible GOP opponent then anything else, as this year has shown. Never underestimate the Republican Party's ability to piss away winnable elections.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2010, 11:21:47 PM by Mr.Phips »

Then again, who knows?

I figure Obama is going to get reelected more due to a horrible GOP opponent then anything else, as this year has shown. Never underestimate the Republican Party's ability to piss away winnable elections.

If the economy isnt good or isnt perceived to be good, Obama will lose.  Never has an incumbent won reelection in modern history when the economy wasnt perceived to be good.

In 1992, Bill Clinton was able to beat George H.W. Bush even with his scandals because the economy was perceived to be poor even though GDP grew at a brisk 4% pace that year.  Had Clinton run against Bush in a 1996 type economy or even 1988, he would have lost because of his scandals.

Even Obama would have been a joke candidate if we had not been in a recession in 2008.

Its all the economy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »

Then again, who knows?

If the economy isnt good or isnt perceived to be good, Obama will lose.  Never has an incumbent won reelection in modern history when the economy wasnt perceived to be good.

In 1992, Bill Clinton was able to beat George H.W. Bush even with his scandals because the economy was perceived to be poor even though GDP grew at a brisk 4% pace that year.  Had Clinton run against Bush in a 1996 type economy or even 1988, he would have lost because of his scandals. 

Its all the economy.

Who was it that coined the phrase, "it's the economy, stupid"?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »

Then again, who knows?

If the economy isnt good or isnt perceived to be good, Obama will lose.  Never has an incumbent won reelection in modern history when the economy wasnt perceived to be good.

In 1992, Bill Clinton was able to beat George H.W. Bush even with his scandals because the economy was perceived to be poor even though GDP grew at a brisk 4% pace that year.  Had Clinton run against Bush in a 1996 type economy or even 1988, he would have lost because of his scandals. 

Its all the economy.

Who was it that coined the phrase, "it's the economy, stupid"?

Mr. James Carville.

He's right too.  An incumbent party has never been able to win the White House at a time that the economy was bad or perceived to be bad. 

Better way of putting it, the incumbent party has never held the White House when the consumer confidence index was below 95.   

Here are the yearly averages for Presidential years going back to 1968.

2008:  60-Incumbent Party Lost
2004:  95-Incumbent Party Won
2000:  140-Incumbent Party Lost
1996:  104-Incumbent Party Lost
1992:  60-Incumbent Party Lost
1988:  115-Incumbent Party Won
1984:  103-Incumbent party Won
1980:  73-Incumbent party Lost
1976:  93-Incumbent party Lost
1972:  101-Incumbent party Won
1960:  136-Incumbent party lost
BillyW
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »

Well, I'm actually more interested in talking about the 2036 election but if we are going to talk about '14 I'll just say give me Al Franken's defeat and I'll call it a day
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »

Schwarzenegger said today that a "GOP majority will actually help Obama be reelected." Obviously not true of course.

As for 2014 the same southern dems that are up this time around won't  be reelected the next time around.

SD Johnsoin, ARK Pryor, AK Begich, VA Mark Warner, CO Udall,  NC Hagen, and LA Mary Landrieu. I say their position is dire regardless of who is in the white house.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »

Schwarzenegger said today that a "GOP majority will actually help Obama be reelected." Obviously not true of course.

As for 2014 the same southern dems that are up this time around won't  be reelected the next time around.

SD Johnsoin, ARK Pryor, AK Begich, VA Mark Warner, CO Udall,  NC Hagen, and LA Mary Landrieu. I say their position is dire regardless of who is in the white house.

SD-Johson will likely retire and be replaced with Hersth-Sandlin.

AR-Pryor has a popular name, I think he'd win even if he were up this year.

AK-Begich will probably have a tough race.

VA-Warner was a popular governor, he has a good chance.

CO-Depends on the ecenomy

NC-See CO

LA-If she were up this year, she'd look like Blanche Lincoln. It depends if the LA electorate is still as rabidly anti-Obama as it is today.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2010, 08:20:01 PM by MilesC56 »

Looking at all 33 seats:

AL: [Sessions] Safe R

AK: [Begich]-Tossup

AR: [Pryor] Lean D

CO: [Udall]
-Better economy- Lean D
-Same economy-Tossup

DE: [Coons] Likely D

GA:
W/ Chambliss- Likely R
Open- Lean R

ID: [Risch]-Safe R

IL:
W/Durbin- Safe D
Open- Likely D

IA:
W/Harkin-Likely D
Open- Tossup

KS: [Roberts] or Open- Safe R

KY: [McConnell]- Likely R

LA: [Landrieu]
Better economy- Slight D
Same economy-Lean R

ME:
W/Collins- Lean R
Collins loses primary- Likely D
Open-Lean D
Collins runs as independent- Tossup

MA: [Kerry]- Safe D

MI:
W/Levin-Likely D
Open- Slight D

MN: [Franken]-Slight D

MS: [Cochran] or Open- Safe R

MT:
W/Baucus- Likely D
Open-Tossup

NB: [Johanns]-Safe R

NH:
W/Shaheen-Lean D
Open-Tossup

NJ: [Probably Open]- Lean D

NM: [Udall]- Likely D

NC: [Hagan]
Better Economy-Slight D
Same Economy-Slight R

OK: [Inhofe]- Safe R

OR: [Merkley]
Merkley ve Generic R- Lean D
Merkely-Smith rematch- Tossup

RI: [Reed]-Safe D

SC:
w/Graham-Likely R
Graham loses primary-Lean R
Graham runs as independent- Tossup

SD:
W/Johnson- Lean D
Open-Tossup

TN: [Alexander]- Safe R

TX: [Cornyn]-Likely R

VA: [Warner]- Lean D

WV:
W/Rockefeller- Likely D
Open- Slight R

WY: [Enzi]- Safe R
BillyW
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »

Why would KY be likely Dem? Doesnt make any sense at all. I am assuming a typo.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 08:10:07 PM »

Very qualitative ideas for the next few years:

2010: House: GOP (barely), Senate: GOP (barely)

Obama wins big in 2012

2012- House: Dems (by around the 2008 margin), Senate: Dems (barely)
2014- House: Dems (barely), Senate: GOP (barely)

Obama wins narrowly in 2012

2012- House: Dems (by around the 2006 margin), Senate: GOP
2014- House: Dems (barely) , Senate: GOP (at least 55)

Obama loses in 2012

2012- House: GOP (by the 2004 margin), Senate: GOP (at least 55)
2014- House: GOP (barely), Senate: GOP (barely)

An Obama win would bring in more than enough youth and minority turnout to flip the House back in 2012, but they will be fighting for their political lives in 2014.  If he barely wins, they won't be as ambitious and will hold on better in 2014.

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »

Very qualitative ideas for the next few years:

2010: House: GOP (barely), Senate: GOP (barely)

Obama wins big in 2012

2012- House: Dems (by around the 2008 margin), Senate: Dems (barely)
2014- House: Dems (barely), Senate: GOP (barely)

Obama wins narrowly in 2012

2012- House: Dems (by around the 2006 margin), Senate: GOP
2014- House: Dems (barely) , Senate: GOP (at least 55)

Obama loses in 2012

2012- House: GOP (by the 2004 margin), Senate: GOP (at least 55)
2014- House: GOP (barely), Senate: GOP (barely)

An Obama win would bring in more than enough youth and minority turnout to flip the House back in 2012, but they will be fighting for their political lives in 2014.  If he barely wins, they won't be as ambitious and will hold on better in 2014.

This actually sounds about right.  I think if Obama wins reelection, the House is very likely to go back to Democrats as the Democratic percentage in the House popular vote has matched up identically with the Democratic Presidential performance since 1996. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »

Yes, KY was a typo.

Its Likely R.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »

Why would KY be likely Dem? Doesnt make any sense at all. I am assuming a typo.

...anything positive to say?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies