Break out the Champagne!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:07:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Break out the Champagne!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Break out the Champagne!  (Read 3779 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:54:41 PM »

One of the worst leaders in human history has died. I can only quote our former president:

"If the Israelis can make compromises and you can't, I should go home. You have been here fourteen days and said no to everything. These things have consequences; failure will mean the end of the peace process.... Let's let hell break loose and live with the consequences." – Bill Clinton, July 2000
Hermit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:24:10 AM »

Why do the good always die so young?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 12:47:46 AM »

Probably because they

1) took too many drugs

2) got assasinated
Hermit
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 12:59:33 AM »

Probably because they

1) took too many drugs

2) got assasinated
Well, it was actually a joke, there.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 01:10:19 AM »

Probably because they

1) took too many drugs

2) got assasinated
Well, it was actually a joke, there.

I know, I was joking too, (but only half joking). I guess my jokes are only funny to myself.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 01:12:17 AM »

Celebrate good times
Come on!
Doo Doo Do Do Do Doo Do Doo
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 07:13:13 AM »

Hooray!

I just hope that the next guy is actually willing to accept peace.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 08:19:41 AM »

Huzah

Here's praying we don't get another radical!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 08:54:34 AM »

American champagne please!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 10:07:21 AM »

I believe that's to be called only "sparkling wine"   Wink
Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 01:41:04 PM »

Bill Clinton is a fucking liar. They didn't even offer a contiguous West Bank.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 02:52:30 PM »

it's true.  but, on the other hand, it was also the best deal he was going to get.  that was the point, I think.  I believe he will be viewed as a hero by large segments of the world, and as a terrorist by others.  Remember, one man's terrorist is another's hero.  After all, the Boston Tea Party gang would certainly be prosecuted by the US under existing anti-terrorist "destruction of private property" laws.  Yet, as we all know, they're big heroes.

Winners get to write history books.  Deal with it.  Arafat was a loser, in my book, not because of such pedestrian notions as terrorist vs. hero (as I believe there is no right answer) but because he didn't have the guts to take Clinton's deal, since he was smart enough to know it was the best they'd get.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 03:35:50 PM »

After class, I decided to go to my teacher's office hour, and so I walked with her on the way there with another student. The other student started talking to my teacher about Arafat, practically saying that they were saddened by his death. I really wasn't surprised being a San Franciscan, but after pondering about it for a while longer, I realized that it's completely sickening that somebody would think such a way.

Arafat was a terrorist, undoubtedly one of the most problematic figure in the last 30 years. Arafat is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, mostly innocent civilians. I can't think how anyone would be saddened by the death of this malicious man. May God have mercy on his soul.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 10:00:31 PM »

Fortunately we in America do NOT follow the stupid european notion on labeling.
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 05:56:43 AM »

Arafat was a terrorist, undoubtedly one of the most problematic figure in the last 30 years. Arafat is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, mostly innocent civilians.
It would have been symbolic if the plane with Arafats body was hijacked on the way to Cairo. Smiley.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 09:41:58 AM »

anybody catch Buchanan on Scarborough last night?  it's a rare treat to see Lawrence Kudlow, plutocrat extraordinaire, and Patrick Buchanan, isolationist, argue economics, but get 'em started on foreign policy and it's quite entertaining.  I only wish Senator Miller had been there as well, then we'd really have seen a free-for-all.  With pistols too, probably!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 02:00:37 PM »

Winners get to write history books.  Deal with it.  Arafat was a loser, in my book, not because of such pedestrian notions as terrorist vs. hero (as I believe there is no right answer) but because he didn't have the guts to take Clinton's deal, since he was smart enough to know it was the best they'd get.

I'm pretty sure they believe they can wait Isreal out.  And they may be right.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 04:23:45 PM »

Ummmm, it is called "champagne" solely because it is from the CHAMPAGNE region of France, the name comes from the area. THAT is why it is called champagne and the grapes, champagne grapes. That is why other produce of the same nature are merely "sparkling wines".
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 05:56:44 PM »

Ummmm, it is called "champagne" solely because it is from the CHAMPAGNE region of France, the name comes from the area. THAT is why it is called champagne and the grapes, champagne grapes. That is why other produce of the same nature are merely "sparkling wines".

we got it, hoss.  but by your logic I'd have to go to Columbia, instead of just a few blocks, for some killer columbian gold.  good thing us yanks don't buy into that line of reasoning  Wink
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 06:17:25 PM »

Arafat was a terrorist, undoubtedly one of the most problematic figure in the last 30 years. Arafat is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, mostly innocent civilians.
It would have been symbolic if the plane with Arafats body was hijacked on the way to Cairo. Smiley.

Paris*

Lol, yeah... that would be REALLY funny, actually.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 08:43:25 PM »

Well, do frankfurters ONLY come from Frankfort?

Are hamburgers only made in Hamburg?

Yes the particular beverage orginated in the Champagne region of France, but, the cutting for the vines came from California as much of the vines in France were destroyed by a blight about a generation ago.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

actually, good braunschweiger comes from New York City.

and good limberger cheese comes from...

well, bad example, even folks from limberg don't like that sh**t.
Maastricht
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 11:28:57 AM »

We use labels in France and in Europe firstly to protect the consumer. Champagne is a good exemple. Just imagine that somebody of Chile, Italy, or another place in France than Champagne, is making sparkling wine, and is selling it in supermarkets with the name of "Champagne", with a really high price compared to the quality of his wine, for exemple 7.5€, about 10$. (If you want a good one, i'ts rather about 15-20$). The consumer would chose, except if he is wealthy, the 7.5€ one. He would have for a "low" price a wine which quality isn't at all what he expects by buying a Champagne.
Conclusion : the fake producer gains a lot, the consumer has a bad product, and the true producer of Champagne can't sale any bottle.
With the label system, the consumer can be sure of the source of the product (it works with a lot of goods), ant to have the right quality with the right price.

Paris*

Hum, I'm not that sure ^_-  lol
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 05:24:54 PM »

fools.  just read the label.  I can walk into my refridgerator, take out the Braunschweiger and clearly read that it is produced in New York.  I can reach upon the shelf, take down the romano cheese, and read from the label, clearly, that it is made in Chico, California.  I can look upon the back of the Texas Chili can and plainly see that it is made in Rahway, New Jersey.  No one is trying to fool anyone.  It is incumbent on the consumer to know where the food is made.  If you don't trust Thai shrimp, and prefer those shrimps from Louisiana, all you need to do is read the label.  All food products are clearly labeled as to the country of origin.  No one thinks Friexenet Cava is actually "Champagne" as it clearly made in Catalonia (though we might lazily refer to it as "champagne" from time to time.)  I really don't think the serious connoisseur will mistake a bottle of california sparkling for a product actually produced in champagne.  I really don't think a serious wino will mistake a bottle of chilean 'bordeaux' for a product actually produced in Bordeaux.  Seriously.  give it a rest.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 08:47:56 PM »

We use labels in France and in Europe firstly to protect the consumer. Champagne is a good exemple. Just imagine that somebody of Chile, Italy, or another place in France than Champagne, is making sparkling wine, and is selling it in supermarkets with the name of "Champagne", with a really high price compared to the quality of his wine, for exemple 7.5€, about 10$. (If you want a good one, i'ts rather about 15-20$). The consumer would chose, except if he is wealthy, the 7.5€ one. He would have for a "low" price a wine which quality isn't at all what he expects by buying a Champagne.
Conclusion : the fake producer gains a lot, the consumer has a bad product, and the true producer of Champagne can't sale any bottle.
With the label system, the consumer can be sure of the source of the product (it works with a lot of goods), ant to have the right quality with the right price.

B.S.  The French are trying to corner the market on a product.

I posted examples of products which were named after the region in which they originated.

That is NOT to say that only products produced in those regions may bear that name.

This effort is NOT, repeat NOT an effort to protect consumers, but rather to prevent competition from superior products.

Typical of the French.

Paris*

Hum, I'm not that sure ^_-  lol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies