Why do people act like abortion is the most important issue in Senate elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:22:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why do people act like abortion is the most important issue in Senate elections?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why do people act like abortion is the most important issue in Senate elections?  (Read 4305 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »

Some people think it's wrong to murder babies.

Some people think it's wrong to coerce birth.

If the moral question is framed with these constraints, it's pretty easy to decide between the two.

I have done some reasearch on the pre-Roe era and spoken with women who had friends that tried to get an illegal abortion during that time.  Needless to say, it is not an era I am interested in returning to.
My great aunt got an illegal abortion during the pre-Roe era. It was a very risky, dangerous procedure then. I'd much rather have abortion (such as it is with the huge amounts of restrictions put on it these days) laws today than back then.

If anything, abortion laws should be relaxed in a majority of states. Plus, the crazy protestors outside of the abortion clinics screaming at the young women as they come in don't help any. RIP George Tiller.

Thank you for that story.  I agree, the situation is better today.

Not that anyone really cares, but I am only alive because abortion was illegal in 1959. My grandmother actively sought out to abort my mom, but couldn’t find one. If Governor Reagan had been around a few years earlier, my mom would have been killed before she was born and I would have never existed. I’m rather thankful abortion was (mostly) outlawed in the pre-Roe era.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2010, 08:36:51 AM »

This sort of rhetoric is, unfortunately, typical of many so-called pro-lifers.

It's just the plain truth. What do you mean "so-called pro-lifers"?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I agree a woman has reproductive rights and the right to family planning. I support women's health and women's rights. But abortion falls under none of these categories.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know enough about you to say whether you are a decent human being or not, but I would hope you would reconsider your lack of respect for human life.

Tell me how abortion doesn't find under ANY of those categories?

I have no interest in abortion as a public policy issue, and doesn't influence my vote. Unless they feel the need to express that view, since I don't consider it an issue that politicians have any right to pontificate on and dictate toward, then they won't get my vote.

I'm pro-choice, rather than pro-abortion... it's like Sarah Palin isn't pro-life, she's anti-choice. It's a choice, the people I know who have had an abortion have always felt a great degree of seriousness attached to it.

I don't believe in imposing my beliefs on anyone - which is what the 'anti-choicers' want to do.

No, it's not about "choice". Someone who wants to legalize the "right" for people to choose to commit murder is pro-murder, not pro-choice. "Pro-choice" is a vague and deliberately misleading euphemism used by people to avoid admitting what they really mean.

The fact that you are so obsessed with this issue to ignore all others (you did admit that this is the first thing you look for) is pretty sad.  I mean by your logic an all out statist who is "prolife" is a more decent person than say this guy.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »

Some people think it's wrong to murder babies.

Some people think it's wrong to coerce birth.

If the moral question is framed with these constraints, it's pretty easy to decide between the two.

I have done some reasearch on the pre-Roe era and spoken with women who had friends that tried to get an illegal abortion during that time.  Needless to say, it is not an era I am interested in returning to.
My great aunt got an illegal abortion during the pre-Roe era. It was a very risky, dangerous procedure then. I'd much rather have abortion (such as it is with the huge amounts of restrictions put on it these days) laws today than back then.

If anything, abortion laws should be relaxed in a majority of states. Plus, the crazy protestors outside of the abortion clinics screaming at the young women as they come in don't help any. RIP George Tiller.

Thank you for that story.  I agree, the situation is better today.

Not that anyone really cares, but I am only alive because abortion was illegal in 1959. My grandmother actively sought out to abort my mom, but couldn’t find one. If Governor Reagan had been around a few years earlier, my mom would have been killed before she was born and I would have never existed. I’m rather thankful abortion was (mostly) outlawed in the pre-Roe era.

I will admit that stories like that, as illogical as it may seem to some choicers on here, is why I've turned pro-life over the past few months (that and I also saw what an aborted fetus at 6 weeks looks like, it isn't pretty).

However, if my previous post wasn't an indication I believe that there are much more serious matters at hand.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies