Anyone planning on voting tactically, not for favorite candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Anyone planning on voting tactically, not for favorite candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone planning on voting tactically, not for favorite candidate?  (Read 735 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »

There are a few Governor and US Senate elections in which there are three main candidates (polling in double figures) in states as diverse as Maine, Florida, Minnesota, Colorado, Alaska, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.  I'm wondering if people on this board are grappling with the issue of whether to vote for their favorite candidate, or the one most likely to defeat their least favored candidate.  In UK elections this happens all the time, as three way election battles between Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems is the rule.
    Personally, I'm probably closer to the Libertarian candidate for US senate in California than to either Boxer or Fiorina, but will most likely vote for Fiorina as she is within striking distance of victory (though I'm not expecting her to win).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

I kind of have to do that a lot.  Luckily the crop of GOP candidates in MA this year are pretty good, although unfortunately Kamal Jain didn't win the primary.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »

If you count a staunch Libertarian (me) voting straight GOP because they're the only shot at beating the Democrats, then yes i vote strategically.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:31:50 PM »

Cuomo's not my favorite, but I'll be voting for him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »

I would easily vote for Christ out of strategic reasons.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »

There's no way I can vote tactically in Wyoming this year. Both of our races are spectacularly boring shoo-ins.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »

There's no way I can vote tactically in Wyoming this year. Both of our races are spectacularly boring shoo-ins.

Same here in Kansas.

Steve Six, the AG, may hold on due to name recognition (his father was on the State Supreme Court for a long time), but it's doubtful.

Jerry Moran will win in a landslide. I'll be voting for him.

Brownback (R) will crush Holland for Governor.

Kobach and his "Voter fraud" BS will prevail in the race for SoS over Chris Biggs (D-inc.)

Estes (R) will beat McKinney (D-inc.) in a D v. R race.

The GOP will hold all of their own offices by maybe 35-40 points.

No reason for me to vote tactically, all of my candidates will lose except Moran.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2010, 08:06:34 PM by cinyc »

The only strategic voting for a Republican in New York is to vote for the Republican-endorsed Gubernatorial candidate on the Conservative Party line to help the Conservative Party retain their place on the ballot.  All Democrats win all the time, anyway - a.k.a. hell to conservative Republicans.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »

If you count a staunch Libertarian (me) voting straight GOP because they're the only shot at beating the Democrats, then yes i vote strategically.

I've thought about doing that too, though I think I'll vote Libertarian for the most part. The only race that I am 100% sold on voting Republican in is U.S. Representative, against Nancy Pelosi. Of course Pelosi will win, but it's worth keeping the dream alive.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »

I've thought about doing that too, though I think I'll vote Libertarian for the most part. The only race that I am 100% sold on voting Republican in is U.S. Representative, against Nancy Pelosi. Of course Pelosi will win, but it's worth keeping the dream alive.
It helps that John Dennis is actually a libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies