Senate Special Election Tracker (as of Sunday, 10:25 PM EDT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:48:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Special Election Tracker (as of Sunday, 10:25 PM EDT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Senate Special Election Tracker (as of Sunday, 10:25 PM EDT)  (Read 4600 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »

Well look at that Social Democratic status-quo landslide. Atlasia sure is overran with 'em.

You know as well as I that the closeness of this race is a big surprise. I honestly thought I'd be a sacrificial lamb. I guess I'm just that awesome Tongue

My message is resonating! People are finally realizing that the social democracy status quo is not working! Change is coming! [/self promotion]

Its not a surprise to me.  It was pretty obvious to anyone tht this would be just what would happen.

Not really. Everybody on the RPP forums was predicting a landslide.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »

Well look at that Social Democratic status-quo landslide. Atlasia sure is overran with 'em.

You know as well as I that the closeness of this race is a big surprise. I honestly thought I'd be a sacrificial lamb. I guess I'm just that awesome Tongue

My message is resonating! People are finally realizing that the social democracy status quo is not working! Change is coming! [/self promotion]

Its not a surprise to me.  It was pretty obvious to anyone tht this would be just what would happen.

Well apparently the RPP just doesn't believe in you.  No one else was predicting that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »

Its not a surprise to me.  It was pretty obvious to anyone tht this would be just what would happen.

Well apparently the RPP just doesn't believe in you.  No one else was predicting that.

We thought anybody would lose, not just me individually.

Of course, the Atlasian right is very demoralized and pessimistic about things...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »

Its not a surprise to me.  It was pretty obvious to anyone tht this would be just what would happen.

Well apparently the RPP just doesn't believe in you.  No one else was predicting that.

Of course, the Atlasian right is very demoralized and pessimistic about things...
Correct. Barnes got started extremely early, and seemed to have a lot of momentum. Both Wormguy and Vepres got in the race, and didn't have the time to campaign and release a quality platform like Barnes did. I think I can speak for the entire RPP that while we didn't think this would be a landslide, we didn't expect to be this close to victory either.

Regardless of what happens, at least both sides ran good candidates, so we won't have to worry about someone crappy getting in there. Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »

Correct. Barnes got started extremely early, and seemed to have a lot of momentum. Both Wormguy and Vepres got in the race, and didn't have the time to campaign and release a quality platform like Barnes did. I think I can speak for the entire RPP that while we didn't think this would be a landslide, we didn't expect to be this close to victory either.

Regardless of what happens, at least both sides ran good candidates, so we won't have to worry about someone crappy getting in there. Wink

Yeah, "landslide" was probably excessive hyperbole Tongue

We did expect Barnes to win comfortably though.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »

Yeah, "landslide" was probably excessive hyperbole Tongue

We did expect Barnes to win comfortably though.

Well, perhaps a year ago I would have. But the Atlasian right has grown very much since then and seems perfectly comfortable referencing both you and wormyguy.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »

I have updated the tracker.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »

Can you make a quick edit and put Lief in? He voted right after you updated. Grin
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »

Can you make a quick edit and put Lief in? He voted right after you updated. Grin

Sigh, fine
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »

Sigh, fine

Well, you certainly deserve your accolades for putting together this vote tracker in the first place! Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »

Sigh, fine

Well, you certainly deserve your accolades for putting together this vote tracker in the first place! Smiley

Thanks!

It is up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »

I'll be pretty p*ssed if my vote is thrown out because of a rule that was never properly displayed where it should have been.

My opinion is that if you're not going to properly display a rule, you shouldn't punish people because they didn't follow it.
You have to be registered a week in advance to vote in the election, if I remember correctly. If anything, I know for a fact you have to be registered before the vote begins. It's an excellent rule we have in place.

Yes, though many people have told me of the one week rule (since I voted), my case is that it was not properly displayed where it should have been and thus I should not be punished for not following it.

And yes, I was registered before I voted.

But furthermore, you shouldn't have to "remember" it Tmthforu94, it should be printed there along with all the other rules.

You have a responsibility to know what the law is, though.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2010, 05:12:20 PM by albaleman »

I'll be pretty p*ssed if my vote is thrown out because of a rule that was never properly displayed where it should have been.

My opinion is that if you're not going to properly display a rule, you shouldn't punish people because they didn't follow it.
You have to be registered a week in advance to vote in the election, if I remember correctly. If anything, I know for a fact you have to be registered before the vote begins. It's an excellent rule we have in place.

Yes, though many people have told me of the one week rule (since I voted), my case is that it was not properly displayed where it should have been and thus I should not be punished for not following it.

But furthermore, you shouldn't have to "remember" it Tmthforu94, it should be printed there along with all the other rules.

If Teddy expects me to follow that law, the least he can do is list it where it should be.

It's like not putting up a speed limit sign and then ticketing somebody for going over the speed limit.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »

If Teddy expects me to follow that law, the least he can do is list it where it should be.

You're reasoning doesn't make sense. If it had been posted, would you have registered earlier? I doubt it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »

It's like not putting up a speed limit sign and then ticketing somebody for going over the speed limit.

If the speed limit were written down in the law & made publically available, as is analogous to the situation there, they would be 100% correct in ticketing you for violating it. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »

You're reasoning doesn't make sense. If it had been posted, would you have registered earlier? I doubt it.

My opinion is that if you're not going to make a reasonable effort to inform people of the law, then you have forfeited the right to rigorously enforce the law.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »

Guys, please. It's a tracker thread, not a debate thread.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »

I was going to let Teddy respond, but since he hasn't yet...

Teddy's instructions do in fact say that you need to be registered by "the proper date".  Perhaps he could have been more specific that that means 7 days before the election, but in any case mention was made that youu need to be registered by a certain time.

Teddy's instructions also state that you can assume you are eligible if your name appears on the Census Bureau list.  Note that your name does not.  I am pretty diligent about making sure the list is complete for elections in progress.  The list will be updated by me on Friday morning, that will be the final list for the Presidential/regional Senator elections.  At that time, your name will be added to the list.

I am sorry if there was some confusion about your eligibility to vote, but really, you didn't register until after the voting had started, and the instructions you keep refering to did mention that you should be registered by a particular time, and that your name should be on the Census Bureau list.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »

I did not respond earlier because I was sleeping but regardless: laws about special elections are actually very poorly written.

There is really not much more I can say beyond that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »

My opinion is that if you're not going to make a reasonable effort to inform people of the law, then you have forfeited the right to rigorously enforce the law.

There is no case here whatsoever. Reaganfan was also thrown out from Vepres' votes. Mine was thrown out back in December 2008. There is no reason to get all upset over it. It happens, my suggestion would be to move on otherwise you might make a lot of bad first impressions over this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=95897.msg1993242#msg1993242

Under the headline "Registration"

Underneath Marokai Blue's example in bold the seventh day rule can be found.

The Introduction to Atlasia thread is intended for newbies to read through to get a better understanding of Altasia.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »

I am looking deeper into the law and will continue to do so. However, upon my last search I found nothing prohibiting anyone from registering moments before polls open and voting, there does not, it seems, to be a 7 day waiting period for special elections from what I could find. This applies, if I remember, only to regular elections. If true then the law does not address the situation where a voter registers and attempts to vote midway though the election. Thus I've used my better judgement based on precedent from outside of Atlasia. In particular that in any vote in any legislature (Canadian Parliament, US Congress, UK Parliament) you must be in the chamber when voting starts or you cannot vote.

I will, of course, continue to look into the laws on this matter.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

This:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution
Is actually pretty clear.

You must be registered ten days before the election. Since Special Elections are to be held "Within" ten days, that means anyone not registered at the time of Badger's resignation is ineligible to vote.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

This:
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution

You must be registered ten days before the election. Since Special Elections are to be held "Within" ten days, that means anyone not registered at the time of Badger's resignation is ineligible to vote.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Twenty_sixth_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution It has been updated by this, which does confirm the 7 days thing.

And yes, I will be adding this information to the Guidebook.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2010, 06:57:19 PM »

This:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Twenty_sixth_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution It has been updated by this, which does confirm the 7 days thing.

And yes, I will be adding this information to the Guidebook.

OK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies