Could the GOP win California?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Could the GOP win California?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could the GOP win California?  (Read 1632 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »

Say Whitman and Fiorina win. Would it be possible for the GOP to be competitive in California? With a moderate, conservative, and or balanced tickets?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »

Possible?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Probable?

No, no, and no.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »

Say Whitman and Fiorina win. Would it be possible for the GOP to be competitive in California? With a moderate, conservative, and or balanced tickets?

Probably not.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »

Must be a Romney supporter.  Meg Whitman is absolutely toast.  She is an awful candidate.

She is such a terrible candidate that she may not be able to take advantage of Brown's "whore" comment.  A tree stump should be able to beat Brown.

People like Whitman pretty much help make my case that moderates are not the way to go, even in deep blue states.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »

Must be a Romney supporter.  Meg Whitman is absolutely toast.  She is an awful candidate.

She is such a terrible candidate that she may not be able to take advantage of Brown's "whore" comment.  A tree stump should be able to beat Brown.

People like Whitman pretty much help make my case that moderates are not the way to go, even in deep blue states.

Good luck winning CA with a Conservative. Only McClintock could make it close and he would need mega millions which I don't know if he has.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:45:30 PM »

Actually I'm not a Romney supporter. And I do realize how much of a failure she is at a candidate. But there's still the possibility she does in fact win (Ever so slightly) and then governs well (even if she sucks being a politico)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2010, 03:00:58 AM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

Good luck winning CA with a Conservative. Only McClintock could make it close and he would need mega millions which I don't know if he has.

Pretty much. California has moved far to the left from the days of George Deukmejian, & running a conservative here now is an unequivocally terrible idea. Honestly, Whitman is probably too conservative to be seriously electable. Without a strong Republican headwind & her tens of millions, Brown would lead anyone by double-digits.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »

Yes, with a popular Californian as the head of the ticket. Will not happen in 2012.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »

Yes, but it's not going to depend on the Republican ticket, it's going to depend on the economy. California went for Obama with over 60%, but that was because California was one of the hardest-hit states economically. I don't think the state is actually as Democratic as, say, Illinois or Massachusetts.

So, if the economy is even worse off in 2012 then it is now, then Obama will lose the state, but he will hold on otherwise.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »

Yes, but it's not going to depend on the Republican ticket, it's going to depend on the economy. California went for Obama with over 60%, but that was because California was one of the hardest-hit states economically. I don't think the state is actually as Democratic as, say, Illinois or Massachusetts.

So, if the economy is even worse off in 2012 then it is now, then Obama will lose the state, but he will hold on otherwise.

California is most certainly as Democratic as Illinois. Obama overperformed in both states, but for different reasons. That being said, I think Bush's performance in California in 2004 was more of an outlier than 2008.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

Not outside of a landslide. And there is nobody capable of winning a landslide in optimum conditions who could be nominated by the current GOP. The GOP does not need to win California to win a presidential election of course, so it's moot.
Whether Whitman or Fiorina somehow pull an upset (still can't quite rule either event out, though I don't see it) doesn't matter in the slightest, of course. Both Senate and Governor contests are more personalized, less partisan than Presidential elections.

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

Tom Waits?  Hold On?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »

Yes. Also, it's fall (though it's actually quite lovely and not cold yet at all) and the cd player is broken.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »

Yes. Also, it's fall (though it's actually quite lovely and not cold yet at all) and the cd player is broken.
Great song and album.
---
As for the OP, no.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »

Not in this decade.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »

Nope.  With 3 million illegals there, that's a major political issue and a Democratic stronghold.  The GOP swept PA in 1994 and got beaten by 10 pts there in 96.

In 1996, when CA was less democratic, Clinton won by 13 pts, after Wilson won a landslide re-election for governor in 94 and Huffington nearly took out Feinstein in the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies