If the 1976 race were two weeks longer, does Ford overtake Carter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:54:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If the 1976 race were two weeks longer, does Ford overtake Carter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the 1976 race were two weeks longer, does Ford overtake Carter?  (Read 1278 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »

After trailing 62-29% in the national polls following the DNC, Ford slowly chipped away over the summer and then made a frantic surge in October to draw near even at the end.  Several states probably flipped because of this, including: IL, CA, WA, OR, ME, NJ, CT, VA and SD. 

In the end, Carter's razor thin wins in OH, WI, MS and HI got him over the top.  NY was tight, but Carter's unusually strong performance (at the time) on Long Island was the difference.  McCarthy was also a thorn in Carter's side.

Given the momentum Ford had in the end, if the race were two weeks longer, is he able to overtake Carter in some of the states listed and win a full term?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »

After trailing 62-29% in the national polls following the DNC, Ford slowly chipped away over the summer and then made a frantic surge in October to draw near even at the end.  Several states probably flipped because of this, including: IL, CA, WA, OR, ME, NJ, CT, VA and SD. 

In the end, Carter's razor thin wins in OH, WI, MS and HI got him over the top.  NY was tight, but Carter's unusually strong performance (at the time) on Long Island was the difference.  McCarthy was also a thorn in Carter's side.

Given the momentum Ford had in the end, if the race were two weeks longer, is he able to overtake Carter in some of the states listed and win a full term?

Most likely. The public was beginning to realize how bad of a candidate Carter was, but the surge came too late.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 06:44:33 AM »

Maybe, but I guess that even if Ford were to win the Electoral College, he would have lost popular vote. You can't overcome a 2 points lead in two weeks.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:18:17 PM »

Yes but as the previous poster said he would likely have lost the popular vote. The Southern States voted strongly for Carter thus he would have still won the popular vote.

President Ford was always teased for having not been elected to the VP or Presidential terms he served. Had he won the presidential race this way there would have been some polarization and some would be sour that he was elected president without carrying the popular vote. Similiar to what Bush went through after "defeating" Gore.

I would have voted for President Ford and believe he was a good president for his short 2 years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies