Christie beats Palin by a half point, steals the headlines
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:11:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Christie beats Palin by a half point, steals the headlines
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Christie beats Palin by a half point, steals the headlines  (Read 3937 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20101010/pl_dailycaller/chrischristiewinsrichmondteapartypresidentialstrawpoll

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ironically, while Palin seemed to be fishing for a Draft Palin movement and Christie said no emphatically, I wonder if we'll see a Draft Christie movement pop up instead mucking up her plans.

PS This whole Christie business could have been avoided if NJ Democrats had heeded my message board advice to swap out Corzine like NY Democrats have wisely done.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »

We all know how I feel about Santorum and I'll fully support him but I am so pumped for Christie.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »

The top five finishers were:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2010/10/09/virginia-tea-party-patriots-convention-chris-christie-wins-the-straw-poll.aspx

Christie 14%
Palin 13.5%
Paul 12.5%
Gingrich 8.4%
DeMint 7.3%

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »

Cool that Paul finished a strong third.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »

David Weigel also posted this on Friday:

http://www.slate.com/BLOGS/blogs/weigel/archive/2010/10/08/virginia-tea-party-patriots-convention-barack-obama-on-the-straw-poll.aspx

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »

I don't like Christie at all but at least he has a brain. A Christie-Palin debate would be amusing.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Christie would get crushed.  Even radical Steve Lonegan who was broke got 42% against Christie in New Jersey.  Think about that.  Christie bled 42% to a right-winger with a Republican electorate that is majority pro-abortion.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »

I don't like Christie at all but at least he has a brain. A Christie-Palin debate would be amusing.

I'm holding out hope for a GOP primary debate that includes Joe Arpaio, John Bolton, Fred Karger, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.  Think about how wild that would be.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:28:02 PM »

I'm holding out hope for a GOP primary debate that includes Joe Arpaio, John Bolton, Fred Karger, Sarah Palin, and Donald Trump.  Think about how wild that would be.

Hopefully they'd split the idiot vote.
DS0816
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »

The education opportunity and job killer (N.J. Gov. Chris Christie) won't contend.

Keep going back to ex-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »

Christie would get crushed.  Even radical Steve Lonegan who was broke got 42% against Christie in New Jersey.  Think about that.  Christie bled 42% to a right-winger with a Republican electorate that is majority pro-abortion.

Which was back when he was simply another "Moderate Republican".  He's now a Conservative sensation.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

Well, his numbers were 73/20 among New Jersey conservatives according to Rutgers/Eagleton but Palin was 66/18 among New Jersey conservatives in a previous Rutgers/Eagleton poll back in March.  So it's not as if he's really too far ahead of her among conservatives in his home state in terms of favorability and New Jersey conservatives are more moderate than conservatives in other states.

His numbers are slightly positive because he maintains 31% favorability from New Jersey liberals.  If his standing among New Jersey liberals dips, he'll be in trouble.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 01:41:59 AM »

I guess that the tea party isn't a big fan of getting to work in the morning, so they go with a massive opponent of public transportation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 01:55:19 AM »

New Jersey conservatives are more moderate than conservatives in other states.

Actually, I've found the opposite to be true in NJ and several other states that tend to be more liberal/Democratic leaning.

Christie is a rock star in the conservative movement. He has better than solid numbers at home. The fact that he's such a straight shooter and taking such conservative stances in New Jersey while maintaining an approval rating in the mid 40s to low 50s is incredible. This is a state that usually gives its elected officials ratings in the 30s and isn't exactly known for embracing conservative policies.

The guy is pretty much everything we want. We like his policies, we like his style and we obviously like that he's able to convince those of all ideological stripes to get on board or at least respect his stances.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 01:56:37 AM »

PRAISE THE LORD! Grin
Poundingtherock
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 02:39:58 AM »

Disagree completely.  The Republican electorate in NJ is 53% pro-abortion from the 2008 exit poll.  Not piece of data supports your unsubstantiated argument that New Jersey conservatives are not more moderate than conservatives elsewhere.  In fact, the only piece of data to support your unsubstantiated argument is Lonegan's 42% against Christie, a stunningingly poor and embarrasing result for Christie.

SurveyUSA does show him in the 30s.  Conservatives seem to accept everything from SurveyUSA as gospel except its poll on Christie.

Sorry Keystone, I don't do talking points or buy spin.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 03:59:02 AM »

Even radical Steve Lonegan who was broke got 42% against Christie in New Jersey.  Think about that.  Christie bled 42% to a right-winger with a Republican electorate that is majority pro-abortion.

First of all, it's irrelevant.

Second, there is no way the majority of the NJ GOP is pro-choice.

Third, Palin could never get libertarians, moderate so-cons, and centrists on board. Even some of the more conservative types are not willing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »

Disagree completely.  The Republican electorate in NJ is 53% pro-abortion from the 2008 exit poll.  Not piece of data supports your unsubstantiated argument that New Jersey conservatives are not more moderate than conservatives elsewhere.  In fact, the only piece of data to support your unsubstantiated argument is Lonegan's 42% against Christie, a stunningingly poor and embarrasing result for Christie.

You can stop bringing up 2009 when we're arguing that Christie is a conservative sensation now. Thanks.

Also, I'd love to see that exit poll. Feel free to link us.

I haven't accepted SurveyUSA in a long time but even if I did, I haven't seen a poll with his approval rating in the 30s.

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

poundingtherock is a Palin hack who tries to tear down any other Republican that he feels poses a threat to Palin.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »

He's talking about a SurveyUSA poll from AUGUST while there have been multiple polls since that have shown him with a comfortable positive approval rating.

And he has the audacity to say that he doesn't want "spin." What a joke.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »

53% of New Jersey's Republican electorate is pro-abortion:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#NJREP

As for being a hack, whoever this Hamilton guy is is the same hack who claimed PPP was right about Alaska even though they showed Murkowski at 77% favorables in a poll.

Multiple polls showed Murkowski winning by 30.  Only one poll showed otherwise and guess what, that one poll turned out to be right.  The "outlier" was correct while everyone else was wrong.

Republicans accept SurveyUSA as gospel except for its polling on Christie.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »

This whole thread is spinning off its hinges.  It's embarrassing to see people crap themselves over Christie when he has taken the possibility of running completely off the table.  He hasn't been anything but clear, something all other proposed candidates have trouble with, about his 2012 plans.  The left and the right have some kind of complex.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2010, 01:54:08 PM by TrueRepublicIran »

53% of New Jersey's Republican electorate is pro-abortion:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#NJREP

As for being a hack, whoever this Hamilton guy is is the same hack who claimed PPP was right about Alaska even though they showed Murkowski at 77% favorables in a poll.

Multiple polls showed Murkowski winning by 30.  Only one poll showed otherwise and guess what, that one poll turned out to be right.  The "outlier" was correct while everyone else was wrong.

Republicans accept SurveyUSA as gospel except for its polling on Christie.

That's a CNN poll...

not that I know any Republican that takes Survey USA seriously.

Edit:
FDU 2009: http://www.politickernj.com/wallye/30193/poll-nj-gop-pro-life-pro-gun-pro-war-and-very-white

Anyone can throw a poll out there.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »

Thanks for playing True "Republican" but that's an "exit poll."

An "exit poll" is a poll of actualy voters.  So it is more accurate than pre-election polls.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »

Even the FDU poll that you cite shows an extremely liberal GOP electorate.

Only 60% NJ Republicans themselves as pro-life?  It's much higher nationwide.  And keep in mind the exit poll asked about whether they believe abortion should be always, mostly legal or illegal, so it's a different question.

51% support stem cell research and only 60% supported the war in Iraq?  Those are the numbers of a very liberal Republican electorate.  But thanks for playing.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies