Opinion of Liberalism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:48:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Liberalism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Liberalism?
Freedom Ideology

Horrible Ideology

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Opinion of Liberalism?  (Read 1187 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »

Well, what are your opinons? By liberalism I mean the Progressivism of the 1900s, the New Deal Great Society era of the 1930s-1970s and the revival of Progressvism today.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:30:53 AM »

Liberalism is the opposite of logic. Therefore, I must fight it.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »

Then why not just call it "progressivism?" That's a more specific term. I'm a fan of the liberalism of John Locke, but not the liberalism of John Rawls.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »

Well, what are your opinons? By liberalism I mean the Progressivism of the 1900s, the New Deal Great Society era of the 1930s-1970s and the revival of Progressvism today.

Kind of a broad question since those three things are actually quite different in a lot of ways.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »

All three are distinct from one another. I'd even go as far as saying there is no progressive revival now.

Modern liberalism is a sick joke.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »

All three are distinct from one another. I'd even go as far as saying there is no progressive revival now.

Huh

You're a modern liberal....
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »

Huh

You're a modern liberal....

Doesn't mean he has to like the path modern liberalism (which is more of a third way ideology) has taken recently.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »

Please don't call me a liberal. I'm a far-left nancy.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »

How are they that different?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »

Freedom Ideology in both the American sense and the original European sense.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2010, 04:27:57 PM by Earth »

How are they that different?

The impetus for each one, culturally, I'd say is different. The early progressive; women's sufferage, early feminism, isolationism, anti-war, union organizing and igitation. This is the only liberalism that had both the ability, and the desire to drastically change the political makeup of America. Sort of embodied by the Anti-Fordist atmosphere of then labor.

The New Deal era was, to me, the introduction of a pacified, complacent liberalism, which set up token opposition towards the status quo. A continuation of appeasement that occurred stemming from the breakdown of the second international. Not to say liberals where in line with Marxist thinking at all, but the general capitulation towards their respective states' agenda. Support for war, and a bit later, the rise of support for neoliberalism. I think this wave of liberalism reaches from about '30, to the 50s, ultimately being rendered irrelevant by the wave of right wing cold war aggression.

The modern liberalism, embodied by the center today, and the democratic party take a few of these traits, but finds a big mixture of baby boomer '68 bourgeois hippie nonsense. The rise of multiculturalism as a political focus, lip service to tolerance; the special interest groups of center politics. This is where things get really disgusting, from the point of view of the (dead) left. All of us on the forum have grown up with this form of liberalism.

If the New Deal liberals were the ones to essentially give in to the status quo, this modern liberalism is the bootlicker of the right, and has been since at least the late 70s. The emphasis on bipartisanship, and the marginalization of every political party and ideal not represented by the democratic party. Strong moralising, but entirely hypocritical, and neglectful of the needs of it's constituents, generally the poor, and working class. Neoliberal Capitalism's answer to the cola revolution.

As you can see, I take it as an insult to be called a liberal. Definitely not a freedom ideology. Ideology masquerading as "non-ideology".
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »

Ah, "progressivism."  The idea that we ought to cease all progress in society and culture in favor of petty tribalism and caveman notions of "fairness."

Worst ideology that has ever existed (also the oldest) besides those that actually involved murdering people as one of their chief tenets.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »

Ah, "progressivism."  The idea that we ought to cease all progress in society and culture in favor of petty tribalism and caveman notions of "fairness."

I have never met some one thinks like that, where do they live?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »

Ah, "progressivism."  The idea that we ought to cease all progress in society and culture in favor of petty tribalism and caveman notions of "fairness."

1600 Pennsylvania avenue.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »

1600 Pennsylvania avenue.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't see the ceasing of all progress in society and culture, tribalism or caveman...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »

Worst ideology that has ever existed (also the oldest) besides those that actually involved murdering people as one of their chief tenets.

Ah, "capitalism". The idea that we ought to cease all progress in society and culture in favour of petty competition and feudal notions of "hierachy"

See? We can play at your game too.

Also, 10,000th post!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies