Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:11:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Fight Night (The Debates): C-SPAN: CO GOV LIVE, HI GOV, IL GOV, NH SEN + AK SEN  (Read 22774 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:54:18 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2010, 03:36:06 AM by Eraserhead »

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20101013/NEWS/101013029/Stage-set-for-Coons-O-Donnell-debate

I feel, that as a forum, we should watch this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »

Oh, it's on CNN? Wow.

As I mentioned in another thread, they're making it out to be sort of a big deal around here. I honestly don't expect any fireworks but I sure hope I'm wrong.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:58:02 PM »

But will it get higher ratings than Parker/Spitzer?  The odds are good.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »

Agreed, its a homework assignment.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »

Nothing too interesting so far. O'Donnell is so right-wing though. Horrible candidate for Delaware.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »

I think Coons is a better candidate for the people of Delaware (Castle was the best) and he had an excellent chance of showing that tonight. However, I've been extremely unimpressed by him. He's been quite rude and condescending to O'Donnell, and is treating her like a child. And as much as the liberals on here might say she acts like a child, she isn't. She's an adult, and should be treated like one.

I think O'Donnell made a very good point on the Marxist comment, even after Coons said it was "just a joke". If anything, this debate should get the conservatives who were wary of O'Donnell to come home for her. However, it won't be nearly enough to close this gap.

It also doesn't hurt Coons that the moderators aren't big O'Donnell fans...
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »

Who knew illegal immigration was such a hot topic in Delaware?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2010, 07:40:03 PM by You »

I could only glance at it for a few minutes, O' Donnell's voice just grates on me.

EDIT: On a vaguely related note, does it annoy anyone else when politicians say "my opponent"? It's a little childish.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »

The debate was cut off by the miner rescue in Chile. No big loss honestly.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

The only good part was when O'Donnell started floundering with the evolution question.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »

The only good part was when O'Donnell started floundering with the evolution question.

The rape and incest abortion thing I don't think will go over well in Delaware either.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2010, 08:30:28 PM by cinyc »

The rape and incest abortion thing I don't think will go over well in Delaware either.

She answered the evolution question just fine by stating that her personal views are irrelevant - What I said now and said then is that is should be up to the local school boards to decide what to teach, not dictated from up above.

Anyway, it's the economy, stupid.  Most voters don't care about evolution or abortion or other social issues this cycle.  Conservatives who care would have voted for her regardless.  Liberals who disagree wouldn't be voting for her regardless.

O'Donnell wasn't the best, but blew far past the low expectations Democrats inexplicably set for her.  To me, Coons came across as an arrogant, condescending prick.  And the moderators were largely on Coons' side.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 08:30:51 PM »

EDIT: On a vaguely related note, does it annoy anyone else when politicians say "my opponent"? It's a little childish.

Not really.  It grates on me more when they act overly familiar to each other, since it's clear they generally hate each others' guts.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

She answered the evolution question just fine by stating that her personal views are irrelevant - What I said now and said then is that is should be up to the local school boards to decide what to teach, not dictated from up above.

Anyway, it's the economy, stupid.  Most voters don't care about evolution or abortion or other social issues this cycle.  Conservatives who care would have voted for her regardless.  Liberals who disagree wouldn't be voting for her regardless.

O'Donnell wasn't the best, but blew far past the low expectations Democrats inexplicably set for her.  To me, Coons came across as an arrogant, condescending prick.  And the moderators were largely on Coons' side.

She gave a horrible answer to the Evolution question.  The fact she thinks its ok for schools to teach Creationism along with Evolution is just absurd.  This is Delaware, now Texas, that crap won't fly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »

She gave a horrible answer to the Evolution question.  The fact she thinks its ok for schools to teach Creationism along with Evolution is just absurd.  This is Delaware, now Texas, that crap won't fly.

Very few voters care about evolution in most election cycles.  Nobody really cares this cycle, when the economy is front-and-center.  It's a non-issue.

And Sussex County, Delaware is a lot like Texas, in some ways.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »

Very few voters care about evolution in most election cycles.  Nobody really cares this cycle, when the economy is front-and-center.  It's a non-issue.

The economy is most important, but voters don't want kooks either..  Believing Evolution is a myth and schools should be able to teach Creationism along with Evolution as equally valid is a kooky position to have.  Sussex County might be like Texas, but its 21% of the state.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »

Delaware voters just aren't going to vote a creationist into office. It's never going to happen, even in this cycle.

And Sussex County voters aren't the ones she needs to convince. Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2010, 09:26:21 PM by Eraserhead »

Do any Democrats not come off that way to you?
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »

O'Donnell is crazy; I love being marxist.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it is. You have migrant workers on farms and a large center of immigration in a wide band around the DC metro area. How much of that is illegal immigration, I don't know - but people get suspicious.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »

There's a small but significant Hispanic presence in Sussex County, mostly due to chicken processing.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »

Do you any Democrats not come off that way to you?

Off the top of my head, just from our local area politicians, Gillibrand doesn't.  Lieberman doesn't.  Paterson doesn't.   Senator Moynihan never did.  I don't see the NJ Senators enough to really form an opinion, but Corey Booker usually doesn't come across as an arrogant prick, either.  None of them are Chuck Schumer.  

Coons just came across as arrogant in the debate, continually claiming that there was no way he could respond to all of O'Donnell's points and talking down to her.  Saying that once would be one thing, but repeating the same canned crap after practically every one of her responses just became grating.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »

I don't know why Coons is putting out the culture war stuff about abortion and evolution. Most people are sick of it. People know O'Donnell's a bit out there, and people who are liberal on culture war issues are not going to vote for her anyway. All he does is risk losing votes from people who disagree with him on these things but doubt whether O'Donnell is qualified.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2010, 09:24:06 PM by cinyc »

The economy is most important, but voters don't want kooks either..  Believing Evolution is a myth and schools should be able to teach Creationism along with Evolution as equally valid is a kooky position to have.  Sussex County might be like Texas, but its 21% of the state.

Believing that local school boards should decide curriculum is hardly a controversial position.  Moreover, you are greatly overestimating the percentage of Americans who care about a politician's views on evolution - and what Americans actually think about evolution, for that matter.  Americans who believe the conventional scientific view of evolution due to natural processes are actually in the MINORITY - 32%, per Pew in 2009.  22% believe in evolution guided by a supreme being - more or less intelligent design.  And 31% believe humans existed in their present form since the beginning of time - more or less creationism.  
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 09:27:37 PM »

Do any Democrats not come off that way to you?

Off the top of my head, just from our local area politicians, Gillibrand doesn't.  Lieberman doesn't.  Paterson doesn't.   Senator Moynihan never did.  I don't see the NJ Senators enough to really form an opinion, but Corey Booker usually doesn't come across as an arrogant prick, either.  None of them are Chuck Schumer.  

Coons just came across as arrogant in the debate, continually claiming that there was no way he could respond to all of O'Donnell's points and talking down to her.  Saying that once would be one thing, but repeating the same canned crap after practically every one of her responses just became grating.

How did I know Lieberman would be mentioned... ugh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies