Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:34:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette  (Read 23610 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »

What portions of the Northeast have the highest unemployment rate?

Also how easy is it to keep financing our debt? Have bond prices risen for the Northeast? Or are we in better shape than Atlasia at large?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »

What portions of the Northeast have the highest unemployment rate?

Also how easy is it to keep financing our debt? Have bond prices risen for the Northeast? Or are we in better shape than Atlasia at large?

Regarding what portions (states, I assume) of the region have the highest unemployment, please refer to the following RL figures I based the regional report on:

http://www.bls.gov/lau/home.htm

These RL numbers are based on a 9.6% national unemployment rate vs. Atlasia's 9.0% rate, but simply subtract 0.6% from these RL figures and that approximates the current Atlasian state unemployment rates. Ditto for any info found in the links on that page re: metropolitan unemployment rates.

Regarding financing of the region's debt, well, that's rather hard to answer without even a rudimentary budget and statement of debt, isn't it? Wink More on that to come later today in the federal stimulus bill thread.

Re: Bond prices, I'm going to say that as RL 30 year T-Bonds are actually trading at about the same value as 5 years ago after dropping dramatically during the 08-09 economic crisis, though there is a marked drop in value during that same period for 5 yr T-Notes, the short answer to your question is: No, there is no significantly different challenge to financing your debt now than in the past few years. However this is contingent upon the obvious risks and interest burdens incurred by any financing of government debt and--more importantly--is directly related to the size of that currently undetermined amount of incurred debt and annual deficit (if any).

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »

Well, it seems like China is going to cut us off. I was wondering how that was affecting the regions.

Thanks for the answer. I think you are doing a really great job, Badger. I approve. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »

Well, it seems like China is going to cut us off. I was wondering how that was affecting the regions.

Thanks for the answer. I think you are doing a really great job, Badger. I approve. Smiley

OMG, China! I've let Hashemite have the holidays off for negotiations:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127840.msg2766043#msg2766043

(it IS just a game after all Tongue) and accordingly put the hell the stock market is going through into "suspended animation" until after New Years. I accordingly put it so far out of my mind until then I didn't even consider the crisis the ongoing crisis in my answer to your query. Embarrassed

Let me alter my answer to one that is equally applicable and important to EVERY region and the federal government as well (hint, hint):

The PRC's intention to reduce or cut off funding the Atlasian national debt has NOT been confirmed. It HAS been confirmed however that there are powerful forces in the PRC leadership actively pushing right now for such a move despite the detrimental effect on their own economic growth. (So....why? Huh).

IF this measure is adopted by the PRC, though, depending on the severity of any cuts in Chinese financing our national debt, between substantial to outright elimination, in that case our ability to keep financing our regional and national debt--according to the verbatim analysis of the best economists and financial minds in the country--ranges between "fu$%ed" and "fist-fu#$ed".

But no pressure, Hash. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »

Hey all:

I've actually accomplished a bit behind the scenes for the Mideast Budget, but things here have been quiet. I apologize, but the last week has been tmostly aken up with the care and grieving of our older cat who passed peacefully yesterday. Cry Eulogy and photo to hopefully be posted in Forum Community Board tomorrow.

Sorry about the delay. Give me a day or two to dig out and I should be back to full duty.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

Chinese Capital Emerges From Three Weeks of Suspended Animation:

"Well, that was weird", say Beijing residents after hiatus.

(AMPG) The Chinese government and foreign diplomats have just emerged from a strange unexplainable anomaly where time apparently froze for approximately three weeks. Beijing residents and government officials recovered from the inexplicable phenomenon only within the last 24 hours. Government officials and citizens alike appear little phased by the mystery and seem ready to get back to work.

Wall Street analysts were likewise apparently unfazed by the matter. Stated one: "Hey, the longer time froze the longer we weren't looking at the market falling into a chasm. I'd be fine if it lasted three months. But now things are hitting the fan on the trading floor again as everyone is unsure what the outcome will be".

SoEA Hashemite and GTO Ambassador Ben have both been in Beijing for negotiations over reports the Chinese government is considering a deep cuts in financing the Atlasian national debt, and were both likewise apparently affected by the strange three week period of stasis. When reached for comment, both merely stated: "Huh? Wha? What day is this? Is it time to get ready for Christmas yet?"

Translation: After giving Hash the holidays off and my distraction for personal matters, negotiations in this ongoing crisis have resumed and any further developments will proceed accordingly without delay. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2011, 11:53:35 PM »

Consumer Price Index Drops

The Bureau of Labor Statistics today announced the annual rate of inflation dropped one tenth of a percent from last month, falling from 1.1% to an even 1 percent annual rate.

When asked for comment, economists universally said: "Meh."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »

I must congratulate you, Badger, on your work on foreign policy entries, which are essential part of the FPRA Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »

TALKS WITH CHINESE BREAKING DOWN?

REPORTS SAY LEVEL OF NEGOTIATIONS 'MINIMAL'.

"Hell on Earth" predicted when markets open Monday.

(AMPG--Beijing) Insiders privy to the Sino-Atlasian talks from inside the Chinese capital say there has been little accomplished in the 'minimal' neogtiations undertaken, and the PRC government appears ready to move forward on deciding whether to cut off financing of the national debt.

Members of both the Atlasian and Chinese diplomatic community report there has been little of substantive discussion between the Chinese Politburo leaders and the American diplomatic delegation lead by SoEA Hashemite and GTO Ambassador Ben. "There doesn't seem to have been much effort to actually sit down with the PRC leadership and discuss matters in a back and forth dialogue." one Chinese diplomat stated under conditions of anonymity out of fear he would be tortured with dripping water on his forehead by a stereotype with a ridiculously long moustache. "All factions of the PRC seem ready to write off Atlasian involvement and move on to a policy decision".

An Atlasian source calls the situation "A potentially missed huge opportunity to avoid catastrophe".

The ANSE was closed today, but traders in Hong Kong and Tokyo engaged in a sharp sell-off when the news from Beijing hit the trading floor shortly before the closing bell. "Thank God markets are closed tomorrow", one Atlasian trader in Asia commented, "because Monday is going to be hell on earth for Wall Street". There were unconfirmed rumors among traders President Fritz was considering closing the ANSE and other stock exchanges Monday to avoid a panic.

The AMPG considered contacting SoEA Hashemite, GTO Ambassador Ben, and the White House for comment, as would only be appropriate for even the most basic exercise of journalistic ethics, but reporters were distracted by a bar offering half off on single malt scotch instead.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »

/facepalm
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 05:41:33 PM by Badger »

TALKS IN CHINA RESUME!

(AMPG--Beijing) Reports have confirmed that the previously stalled Sino-Atlasian talks have resumed. No further details are known at this time, but reports will continue as information is obtained.....
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2011, 05:31:06 PM »

Huh
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »

We've known about this for a month at least and done nothing...

I'd say that's pretty /facepalm worthy.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »

We've known about this for a month at least and done nothing...

That is blatantly false.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »

I wouldn't say "nothing" has been done. But I think more could have been done to resolve the crisis by now.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

FTR, complaints from diplomatic hacks were more concerned with the method of negotiations rather than the lack of work. And don't forget, grossly unjustified slander by jealous careerists could be the source (or maybe not Wink, history will judge). Likewise, occasional reports of unsubstantiated rumors aren't impossible either as being quite "realistic". (How's that presidential shut down of the stock market working? Wink I was surprised President Fritz didn't blast that to smithereens in a press release).

BTW: I was home sick with the flu yesterday and have a busy afternoon in court today. I hope to continue the negotiations on behalf of the Chinese by tomorrow if I can't get to it tonight.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »

I'm a little confused why we're letting China blackmail us.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: LARGE EXPLOSION AT GTO HQ---TERRORISM SUSPECTED!

(AMPG-Nyman) A large explosion occurred moments ago at the Global Treaty Organization headquarters in downtown Nyman. Reporters were notified minutes beforehand that the building was being evacuated after receiving a bomb threat. Employees were seen rapidly fleeing the area moments before the blast. The scale of damage observed to the GTO building and grounds appears considerable. No information regarding casualties are available, though AMPG staff report some bystanders are injured and ambulances are arriving on scene.

More to follow as this story develops.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

"REALITY OR NOTHING" ORGANIZATION CLAIMS RESPONSIBILITY FOR BOMBING OF GTO.

MULTIPLE INJURIES CONFIRMED AT BLAST SITE; HEAVY DAMAGE INFLICTED TO GTO BUILDING.

(AMPG--Nyman) The Atlasian Mustiled Post Gazette has received a telephone message from a person claiming to represent the previously little known organization "Reality Or Nothing" and claiming its group's responsibility for this morning's apparent bombing attack at the Global Treaty Organization headquarters. AMPG staff have not yet confirmed the veracity of this claim, but has learned from multiple GTO staff members that the bomb threat received minutes before the blast was likewise from a caller identifying themselves as a member of Reality Or Nothing. Copies of the message are being provided to law enforcement before public publishment later.

Current reports of injuries claim at least a dozen people injured, with several transported by ambulance to nearby hospitals. There are no confirmed deaths at this time, though not all GTO staff have been accounted for.

Police have cordoned off multiple blocks around the blast site, but observers confirm the GTO headquarters appears to have suffered significant structural damage, particularly on the side including the main public entrance.

More reports to come as information develops.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »

Arrest Al!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2011, 05:26:33 PM »

Then what?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:05 PM »

Yes!

He tried to fly country, now we know WHY!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »

Charge?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »

I'll be introducing legislation to invade Scotland and bring Al to justice ASAP.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »

I've been shot by Reality or Nothing. Only in the shoulder, but still...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies