Is "Compulsory National Service" a form of Slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:42:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is "Compulsory National Service" a form of Slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Is "Compulsory National Service" a form of Slavery?  (Read 5599 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 05:00:52 AM »

It's no slavery and it's not "a form" of slavery either. And I'm saying that as an opponent of conscription.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »

In fairness, the question asks if it's a form of slavery, not if it's exactly the same.  Big difference.

If it's a form of slavery, that would mean that it is slavery.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »

No, and calling it such is insulting to the millions of Americans who actually were slaves. The fact that having to do community service for a year is even being compared to actual slavery is disgusting, though not surprising, considering the white, middle-class suburbanite tilt of this forum.

This. It's the kind of offensive hyperbole I've come to expect from, uh, some element on this forum though.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »

No, and calling it such is insulting to the millions of Americans who actually were slaves. The fact that having to do community service for a year is even being compared to actual slavery is disgusting, though not surprising, considering the white, middle-class suburbanite tilt of this forum.

This. It's the kind of offensive hyperbole I've come to expect from, uh, some element on this forum though.

You mean the freedom-loving, non-fascistic element on the forum.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »

Interesting question.  I've been posting here nearly seven years, and mostly this board only sees the same questions over and over again, but I've not seen this one.  Haven't even thought of it.

The U.N. defines slavery very clearly, and touches on it every once in a while, clearly in opposition, although it doesn't seem to have the balls to do much about it.  But many of those member states in ratification of its definition are those states with compulsory service obligations.  

My gut feeling is that it does not constitute slavery.  Mainly based on the fact that the modern definition usually involves some statement of "property" or something along those lines.  Even though, in the movies, the stereotypical company commander says stuff like, "your soul may belong to Jesus, but your ass belongs to me" I'd always taken such quips metaphorically, rather than literally.  I haven't voted in your poll, but then it is my habit not to vote in these polls till after I've posted a few times and read some other polls first, and even then I may not vote in it--I don't even give telephone pollsters answers.  I'm an asshole like that.  Still, it's a very provocative question. Tip o' the hat to you for thinking of it.  I'll have to think more about it and get back to you.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:42 AM »

PLEASE NO MORE USE OF FASCISM AS AN EPITHET FOR CHRISTS SAKE.

Thank you.

I don't see how it isn't slavery to be honest. Just like I don't see how capitalism isn't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »

I oppose it with a passion, but calling it slavery makes really no sense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »

Is there a reason slavery is spelled with a capital S in the thread title?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »

PLEASE NO MORE USE OF FASCISM AS AN EPITHET FOR CHRISTS SAKE.

Thank you.

I don't see how it isn't slavery to be honest. Just like I don't see how capitalism isn't.

Winston makes a good point: many of this forum's fiercest opponents of mandatory community service are also this forum's fiercest supporters of wage slavery. Strange how that works out.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »

Winston makes a good point: many of this forum's fiercest opponents of mandatory community service are also this forum's fiercest supporters of wage slavery. Strange how that works out.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

wormyguy blows me away with his eloquence as usual.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »

wormyguy blows me away with his eloquence as usual.

The truth need not be stated eloquently to be true.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »

Yes, but libertarianism is the enemy of truth.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »

Is there a reason slavery is spelled with a capital S in the thread title?

Forgive my lack of understanding of proper capitalization in titles.  I barely knew what nouns, verbs, and adjectives were until fairly recently.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2010, 02:16:43 PM by patrick1 »

Exactly.

I'd agree as well.  It started generations back, but I think the pendulum has swing too far to the individualism side of things in relation to a community orientated focus. I just think people really don't care about there neighbors anymore like people used to.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »

Exactly.

I'd agree as well.  It started generations back, but I think the pendulum has swing too far to the individualism side of things in relation to a community orientated focus. I just think people really don't care about there neighbors anymore like people used to.

So we should force people to?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as to say "slavery" since it has a definite end to it and often has exclusions for certain conditions.  But it definitely could be construed as such under a broad interpretation of the term.

I disagree with compulsory national service very strongly... in any case unless there is a ground attack on the nation and volunteer services can't keep up.  But in the U.S., for example, if that were to happen... I think a lot of people would enroll of their own free will.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »

Please elaborate as to what you find to be so funny.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »

"Wage slavery."  Hurrdurr
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »

There's not much funny about wage slavery really, unless you're one of the wage slaveowners.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »

There's not much funny about wage slavery really, unless you're one of the wage slaveowners.

Calling having to get a job in order to make money to pay your living expenses "slavery" is rather absurd.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »

Calling having to get a job in order to make money to pay your living expenses "slavery" is rather absurd.

I would say that it's rather disgusting, and insulting to the millions of Americans who actually were slaves.  Not surprising though, considering the white, middle-class suburbanite tilt of this forum.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »

Yes, as we all know, slavery only constitutes one specific thing. Ever.

And no, compulsory service is not slavery.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »

Yes, as we all know, slavery only constitutes one specific thing. Ever.

And no, compulsory service is not slavery.

I agree with this.

I would say it's more a form of civil service.  Going to school is compulsory as well.  Is that a form of slavery?

I believe either everybody should have to do it or nobody... that includes gays and womens.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

I would say that it's rather disgusting, and insulting to the millions of Americans who actually were slaves.  Not surprising though, considering the white, middle-class suburbanite tilt of this forum.

You copied my post, bro.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies