AK: Rasmussen: It's all tied now !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:06:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  AK: Rasmussen: It's all tied now !
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: AK: Rasmussen: It's all tied now !  (Read 5440 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2010, 07:24:36 PM by cinyc »

If someone wrote in Murkowski's name with a couple grammatical errors on their ballot, does their vote still count?

According to the Lt. Governor's office (which is responsible for running Alaskan elections), if it's minor, yes.  A couple minor mistakes?  Maybe not.  It depends.  I also think the Lt. Governor's office asked for further guidance from the Alaska AG, which as far as I know, hasn't been received.

This will be a real mess if it's close - perhaps making Florida and Minnesota look good by comparison.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 07:54:11 PM »

In all honesty, I expect loads of people to show up on Election Day and think to themselves "Where is Lisa Murkowski?" and then end up voting for their second choice.

I don't think so. The Murkowski name is well-known in Alaska. Lisa has been going on a media blitz telling voters she is a write-in candidate, so if there are a few people who vote for Miller because they can't find her name, it will probably have minor effect.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »

If someone wrote in Murkowski's name with a couple grammatical errors on their ballot, does their vote still count?

Maybe, but I don't think ballots have much potential for Grammatical errors.  Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »

Is there anything in Alaska law that prevents a Murkowski operative from handing out a Murkowski write-in sticker at every single polling place? I presume, stickers would count, wouldn't they?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »

Is there anything in Alaska law that prevents a Murkowski operative from handing out a Murkowski write-in sticker at every single polling place? I presume, stickers would count, wouldn't they?

They are not allowed because they jam the machines.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

No matter what else happens on election day, I will be very disappointed if that vile woman even comes close to winning.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »

No matter what else happens on election day, I will be very disappointed if that vile woman even comes close to winning.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »

What about little stamps?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 11:51:53 PM »

Interesting idea.  The logistics for doing this would be difficult.

There are 438 precincts in Alaska, some in very remote areas accessible only by airplane.  Granted, those areas aren't heavily populated, but the Alaska Native corporations seem to be most behind Murkowski - so she might do well there.  You'd need much more than one stamp per polling place, and probably would have to hand them out outside of the electioneering perimeter in the cold of an Alaskan November - which may or may not be someplace where you can easily get the stamps to the voters.  And whether carrying the stamps themselves into the polling place would be considered electioneering is another question that would need to be answered.  And where would they get the ink for the stamp from?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 12:19:46 AM »

I believe they are allowed. I know they are here but stickers aren't.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »

I believe they are allowed. I know they are here but stickers aren't.

When asked by the Anchorage newspaper in September, the Director of the Alaska Division of Elections said stamps weren't allowed in the polling place.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 02:15:49 AM »

They could put signs outside polling places.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 02:32:03 AM »

They could put signs outside polling places.

They're better off mailing postcards to voters with nothing but the correct spelling of her name and handing out similar cards outside polling stations - outside of the "no electioneering" boundary, of course.  I think the Lt. Governor has said voters could take cards like that into the voting booth. 

Murkowski wouldn't be able to put signs within eyesight of the voting booths - and signs voters can't see would be of little use to voters once inside the booth.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 06:33:43 AM »

Is that Alaska law or are you talking from Pa. experience?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 07:02:53 AM »

According to Ballot Access News, Massachusetts is the only state where candidates can still distribute stickers. Stamps would presumably fall under the same guidelines. Of course, in states with electronic voting machines, they couldn't be used for obvious reasons.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

According to Ballot Access News, Massachusetts is the only state where candidates can still distribute stickers. Stamps would presumably fall under the same guidelines. Of course, in states with electronic voting machines, they couldn't be used for obvious reasons.

Aha, this was a "They let you PUMP your own GASOLINE?" moment.

We have optical scan ballots where stickers aren't a problem.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »

Is that Alaska law or are you talking from Pa. experience?

Both. I was reading something about this particular election and it stated that stickers weren't allowed because they screw up the machines.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »

The polls are WAY overestimating Murkowski. Really, how many people are going to take the time to write Murkowski on their ballot?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »

The polls are WAY overestimating Murkowski. Really, how many people are going to take the time to write Murkowski on their ballot?

I figure if you can take the time to drive to the polling place and wait in line, you probably won't mind spending another 5 seconds writing someone's name.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

I figure if you can take the time to drive to the polling place and wait in line, you probably won't mind spending another 5 seconds writing someone's name.

particularly in ALASKA
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2010, 02:33:52 PM by albaleman »

particularly in ALASKA

I think the most accurate poll so far was the Ivan Moore Research poll where Murkowski was not given as a choice. Those who wanted to vote for her had to come up with her name, just like on the real ballot. In that poll Murkowski got just 18%.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »

particularly in ALASKA

I think the most accurate poll so far was the Ivan Moore Research poll where Murkowski was not given as a choice. Those who wanted to vote for her had to come up with her name, just like on the real ballot. In that poll Murkowski got just 18%.

There was another poll where she wasn't an option, and about 30% of respondents still said they would write in her name when given the option of someone else.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »

particularly in ALASKA

There was another poll where she wasn't an option, and about 30% of respondents still said they would write in her name when given the option of someone else.

Hence why I'm not going to trust most polling at all this year. Least of all in Alaska.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »

particularly in ALASKA

That was the PPP, and that was different. Her name was given as an option for people who selected "other" on the main voter screen. So it was given as an option. But on the Ivan Moore poll it was not given as an option, just like on the real ballot.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »

I'm gonna agree with whoever above said that most people wont take the same initiative to write in Lisa Murkowski on a ballot as they would to say her name during a telephone poll. If she were on the ballot, then sure, I think it'd be a close 3 way race. Fact is, she isn't on the ballot, and I think that makes a huge difference. I'm guessing, BEST CASE scenario for Murkowski, that Joe Miller gets about 39%, Murkowski 31%, and McAdams 28%.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies