Divided We Stand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:14:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Divided We Stand
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Divided We Stand  (Read 7838 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »

Coming to a What-if board near you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

Awaiting it. Smiley
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »

The interest is appreciated, guys. Smiley

Will be a day or two before I get this started.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »

Divided We Stand

by Dallasfan65

Backstory

On August 24th, 1964, Democrats convened amidst a warm summer day in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The weather was calm and the air had a clear, refreshing taste - as if it were the scent of victory - and it was only appropriate, given Gallup’s last poll that forecasted a crushing 65-29 victory for Johnson, whom had yet to gain legitimacy, but was indisputably popular.

Lyndon Johnson had brought with him three prospective candidates for Vice President - Senator Hubert Humphrey, Senator Thomas Dodd, and Senator Eugene McCarthy. Johnson began extolling his running-mate’s virtues as he addressed the convention, and the three men waited with trepidation, their breath thoroughly bated..

“He is a rising star in the Democratic Party, a man whom greatly represents his state, and has served her for decades. He is a man that, on this ticket, will unite the West, South, and North, for we are not a southern party, or a northern party, but an American party. This man is...

Eugene McCarthy!

Eugene McCarthy, 1964 Democratic Nominee for Vice President

Eugene, whom, much like Humphrey and Dodd, had been kept in the dark about Johnson’s decision. His acceptance had been rushed, and lackluster - the real man who took the show was Robert F. Kennedy, whom delivered a well regaled speech that gave one final push to enthuse the Democrats.

“This man’s going to be a threat, Gene... If he had given that speech earlier you might’ve gotten swept up in the Kennedy fervor.”

“Well, let’s give it a few years and hopefully this enthusiasm will die out... We’ve got an election to win right now, though.”

The Democrats left the convention with great optimism.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »

Waiting to see where this goes. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

Not very suprised, since McCarthy has been actually mentioned for this role and would probably accept, considering that even with his Senate seat up for reeelction, 1964 would be favorable year for the Democrats nationallly.,

Good start, keep it coming Smiley
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »

EAGERLY awaiting another update Smiley
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »

The Election of 1964

(Coverage)

“At this time, we can say with some certainty that Senator Al Gore has been re-elected. A stunning defeat for incumbent James Beall, presumably on Johnson’s coattails.

John Stennis re-elected unopposed, Robert F. Kennedy defeats Senator Ken Keating... no surprise there. Stephen Young narrowly leads Bob Taft Jr...”

“If we look to the House races, Democrats are really running the table, winning anywhere from 30-40 house seats this cycle. Good god, even 70 Senate seats is not out of the question. With the defeat of Bob Taft, Barry Goldwater, and the collapse of the Republican bastion in Vermont, what will the Republican Party do? Will they re-structure into something more formidable, or forever be buried under the weight of the New Deal Coalition?”

President Johnson really came out swinging, but he has established himself as a successful parliamentarian, and seems to have an iron grip in holding together the Democratic Party...

Lyndon Johnson/Eugene McCarthy: 61.05% Popular Vote, 486 Electoral Votes
Barry Goldwater/William Miller: 38.47% Popular Vote, 52 Electoral Votes

These predictions, and assumptions of Johnson's impregnability, would all be laughable in hindsight...

(Don't worry guys - this is mostly just backstory, that I like to tell from a narrative. The butterflies are going to start hitting hard in the next installment.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »

Awaiting your next installment Smiley

Given how good the timelines of the Second Term of Gerald Ford, and TBDFMIEM, I'm hoping this turns out great.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »

And onward

(1965-)

February 1965

Nixon refutes speculation over Presidential bid!

In an interview with the New York Times, the former Vice President refuted speculation that he would run for President in 1968. To quote, “I just don’t think it’s in the cards. I already gave it a shot, and lost to Kennedy. I reiterate: Try all you want, you simply won’t have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore.” When asked whom he would support for President in 1968, he responded “James Rhodes is a good contender. I also like Lodge, though I don’t think he has it in him to run.”

Speaker, oh Speaker, where art though?

Despite commanding a huge majority in the House, Speaker McCormack (D-MA) has been absent on several crucial votes, showing up only for organizational procedures. Reportedly, the aging Speaker has come down with a tough bout of the flu. We at the New York Times hope that he recovers. In the mean time, it seems that Carl Albert (D-OK) has taken the reigns. The majority of Democrats have rallied behind him, though Representative Udall (D-AZ) has been critical on several occasions. “Since his ascendancy to the Speakership, the House has been most disorderly” said the Arizona Democrat last week.

Civil Rights Activist Jimmie Lee Jackson shot!

Just two days ago, a young civil rights protestor known as "Jimmie Lee Jackson" was shot by an Alabama State Trooper, name currently unknown. The young black man is currently in a hospital, in critical condition at this time.

Approval of Lyndon Johnson:

Approve: 58%

Disapprove: 31%

Undecided: 11%
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 12:38:57 AM »

Congress passes the Voting Rights Act!

On August 6th, 1965, Congress passed the Voting Rights Act, or VRA. This act authorizes the federal government to oversee statewide elections, and is a corollary to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Not all are happy, and Governor Wallace was one of the first to comment on the act’s passage: “I think it’s an awful violation of our sovereignty, though that’s par the course with this administration.” Wallace has done little to stem speculation that he may be planning a bid himself for the White House.

Bombs Away!

The situation in Vietnam has begun to escalate - non-stop air raids in an effort known as “Operation Rolling Thunder” have progressed for several months. More than a little controversial, it has drawn opposition from both sides. General Curtis LeMay says it does not go far enough, while rumors are circulating that the Vice President himself, along with several liberal Democrats, are opposed. The opposition has been kept to a whisper at best.

Governor Romney ambivalent on... pretty much everything.

In an interview with the New York Times, amidst speculation that the Michigan Governor was planning a 1968 presidential bid, the Governor declined to gave an answer. When asked about the President’s policy on Vietnam, he responded “I think it’s important to win the war, but I don’t support this relentless bombing campaign. I give my full support to the war effort though.” The Governor has, however, been unabashed about one thing: his support for the Civil Rights movement.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 08:10:51 AM »

Romney/Reagan '68!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 03:07:24 PM »

What does everybody think of the new format?

Also, an update should be in the works for tonight.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

Good timeline Smiley Hoping the Republicans take back Murica in '68!
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 08:35:28 PM »

Awesome!  Keep going  Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »

Shocking announcement from the office of Speaker McCormack!

After weeks of battling illness, the Speaker shocked the nation by announcing that he would not be up for re-election in 1966, due to his ailments and sometimes suspect Speakership. “I’ve seen many things since my election to congress, first in 1928. I have seen the Great Depression, I have seen the Second Great War, and I have seen the allies triumph. I’ve seen the revival of infrastructure and the renewal of hope. I have seen the death of a President and, hopefully, I have seen an the beginning to the end of segregation, violence, and hatred. But once more, I have seen enough. Thus, with a heavy heart, I will not be a candidate for re-election, and will be leaving you as Speaker following the midterms of sixty-six.”

Hale Boggs announces interest in the Speakership!

Several days after Speaker McCormack’s declaration, Majority Whip Hale Boggs (D-LA) expressed a strong interest in being the next Speaker of the House. Congressman Boggs was a freshman in 1940. The youngest congressman at age 26, newly minted from the New Orleans machine. Upon losing re-election, he went to serve in the navy, before making a return in 1946, despite a massive Republican sweep. He has served as Majority Whip in the past two congresses, and some suspect that a Speaker Boggs would be an ally to the President, having supported much of the Great Society.

Governor Rockefeller expresses strong interest in the Republican Nomination!

In an interview with the New York Times last week, Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) expressed a strong interest in giving the Presidency a third go in 1968, the next presidential election. “Do I think the convention was foolish to  not nominate me? Yes, I do. But let’s move on past that.” Governor Rockefeller probably enjoyed much schadenfreude as he watched his political nemesis, Senator Goldwater, lose to President Johnson, whom was much more similar to him ideologically. “I will wait until the 1966 midterms to make an official decision,” he stated, “but I think it’s fair to say I’m a likely contender.”
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »

Good timeline Smiley Hoping the Republicans take back Murica in '68!

Thanks guys.

Any speculation on what happens next, people? Smiley
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

I'm still not exactly sure where this is going, but it's a good timeline. Keep it coming!
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »

My prediction:

1968: McCarthy/Humphrey vs. Romney/Rockefeller vs. Wallace/LeMay Smiley

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »

My prediction:

Not possible.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »

My prediction:

Not possible.

Still, it's a TL Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »

Waiting to see how 1968 turns out. Good timeline so far, waiting for the butterflies to start popping up.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies