Russ Feingold in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:39:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Russ Feingold in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Russ Feingold in 2008  (Read 7649 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2004, 02:50:52 PM »

Has Feingold specifically said that he doesn't ever plan on running for President?  Has anyone asked?

If there is one left-liberal in the country who could take the White House, it's probably Russ.  He is a brilliant campaigner, charismatic, attractive, upbeat, intelligent, and debates very well.  He also has a reputation as a independent that sits very well with voters.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the second-term Bush judicial appointees.  If he continues to participate in Operation Judge-Block, combined with his vote on partial-birth abortion this will kill him.  But if he can build up his reputation as an independent, bipartisan unity-builder, he's got a shot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 03:27:23 PM »

Feingold as Dem nominee - almost as good as a Dean or Hillary nomination.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 03:42:17 PM »

Well, I doubt the last name Feingold would work very well in the states Bush won.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 03:49:42 PM »

Feingold is with out a doubt the most eloquent Liberal Democrat in the Senate, his positions are principled and his style understated but firm… he would probably lose as a presidential nominee but he would be a far better spokesperson for his views than the likes of Dean or Hillary both of whom are divisive in their own way, Feingold would not be divisive. Don’t get me wrong I disagree with Feingold on a number of issues but I respect him a great deal and if I lived in WI I’d gladly vote for this principled liberal senator.

If he runs he’ll probably fight Dean for the Liberal vote in the primaries and I’d expect him to win that contest, however while he might do well in Iowa and New Hampshire he will find it next to impossible to win or even do well in the Southern Primaries.    
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 03:53:47 PM »

Feingold as Dem nominee - almost as good as a Dean or Hillary nomination.  Smiley

He isn't any more liberal (well, ok, maybe a bit), and he doesn't carry anywhere near the personal baggage of either.  He's a liberal, without all of the negative stuff that most people associate with liberals.  Heck, I know a lot of Republicans who love the guy.  He's someone who is at once left-wing enough to win the Democratic nomination and broadly appealing enough to win the nation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 04:01:05 PM »

I like Finegold
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 04:07:37 PM »

If he runs he’ll probably fight Dean for the Liberal vote in the primaries and I’d expect him to win that contest, however while he might do well in Iowa and New Hampshire he will find it next to impossible to win or even do well in the Southern Primaries.   

He'd crush Dean, for one and only one reason: Democrats want to win the Presidency in the worst way, and Dean can't win.  LibDems aren't going to touch him with a 10ft pole.

While Feingold would lose big in SC and on Southern Tuesday, he'd do fantastic in Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Arizona (of course).  Which would carry momentum into the first Super Tuesday.

Feingold's biggest obstacle: money.  He's got to raise it fair and square, which means he'll need a nationwide, grassroots effort.  Once he gets enough delegates, though, the money will start to snowball.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »

He'd crush Dean, for one and only one reason: Democrats want to win the Presidency in the worst way, and Dean can't win.  LibDems aren't going to touch him with a 10ft pole.

While Feingold would lose big in SC and on Southern Tuesday, he'd do fantastic in Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Arizona (of course).  Which would carry momentum into the first Super Tuesday.

Feingold's biggest obstacle: money.  He's got to raise it fair and square, which means he'll need a nationwide, grassroots effort.  Once he gets enough delegates, though, the money will start to snowball.

Bayh would win Iowa if he ran; he could then survive a lower showing in NH and pull out some wins in the South, that said Iowa would probably be a Bayh vs. Feingold fight with Edwards (if he was stupid enough to run and not take my advice) would come in a distant third.     
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 04:40:43 PM »

The possibility of the Dem nomination going down to two of my favourite Senators is a pleasing one :-)
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »

The possibility of the Dem nomination going down to two of my favourite Senators is a pleasing one :-)

I for one would MUCH rather have Bayh than Feingold.  I am much closer to Bayh on the issues.

Although a President from Middleton would be kinda neat.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 05:34:36 PM »

Has Feingold specifically said that he doesn't ever plan on running for President?  Has anyone asked?

If there is one left-liberal in the country who could take the White House, it's probably Russ.  He is a brilliant campaigner, charismatic, attractive, upbeat, intelligent, and debates very well.  He also has a reputation as a independent that sits very well with voters.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the second-term Bush judicial appointees.  If he continues to participate in Operation Judge-Block, combined with his vote on partial-birth abortion this will kill him.  But if he can build up his reputation as an independent, bipartisan unity-builder, he's got a shot.

Feingold is a goddamned fascist.  Like McCain. 

Let him learn to read and read the constitution.  2008 can be another year I campaign against the dems.  (unless that bastard McCain wins his party's nomination.  then I'd be in a twist)
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 05:57:13 PM »

I understand and appreciate why you feel the way you do about Feingold (I don't like anti-speech laws either), but I must point out the ultimate irony in calling the only Senator to vote against PATRIOT a "fascist."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 06:08:15 PM »

anti-speech, ban on raves, gun control, hate crimes, etc. etc.

just a little to authoritarian for my tastes, I guess.  but I'll concede that fascist is a bit harsh, because, on the other hand, he is against increased penalties for drug offenses, against federal marriage definition, and has been supportive of abortion rights, guantanamo bay detainees rights, various civil liberties,  etc. 

I apologize to you and to him.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 06:10:43 PM »

anti-speech, ban on raves, gun control, hate crimes, etc. etc.

just a little to authoritarian for my tastes, I guess.  but I'll concede that fascist is a bit harsh, because, on the other hand, he is against increased penalties for drug offenses, against federal marriage definition, and has been supportive of abortion rights, guantanamo bay detainees rights, various civil liberties,  etc. 

I apologize to you and to him.

No need to apologize to me.  I just have a well-tuned irony detector :-).

And hate-crime laws are also fascist, I agree.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 07:19:33 PM »

Let him learn to read and read the constitution.  2008 can be another year I campaign against the dems.  (unless that bastard McCain wins his party's nomination.  then I'd be in a twist)

Fascists who vote against the Patriot Act? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

If Feingold ran, I don't think the Libertarian party would bother to field a candidate of their own.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 07:23:02 PM »

Feingold would be a great nominee for the Democrats.  Probably the most progressive candidate who has any chance to actually win.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 07:32:05 PM »

Feingold would be a great nominee for the Democrats.  Probably the most progressive candidate who has any chance to actually win.

But he won't get nominated, thankfully because much as i respect the guy he's too liberal on the issues of "God Guns and Gays"... I'm already backing Bayh for the nomination... let battle comence.     
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 07:33:47 PM »

He's probably the only left-liberal in Washington of any stature who doesn't inspire nationwide disdain, ala Ted Kennedy, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, etc.  His real advantage is that, despite his leftism, he's still seen as an independent and a maverick - in the same way that McCain, despite his rightism, is seen as an independent and a maverick.  No one is going to use the phrase "Russ Feingold and his liberal buddies in Congress."
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 07:36:28 PM »

But he won't get nominated, thankfully because much as i respect the guy he's too liberal on the issues of "God Guns and Gays"... I'm already backing Bayh for the nomination... let battle comence.     

I support Bayh as well, although for now I'm keeping my "dream ticket" displayed in my sig. :-)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 07:41:04 PM »

Do you really think Bayh could win the nomination? If so, why?  (I think he's too conservative to get it.)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 08:29:22 PM »

Do you really think Bayh could win the nomination? If so, why?  (I think he's too conservative to get it.)

Democrats are desperate to win, they want it real bad, added to this thanks to the media blaming the defeat on the inability of Democrats to speak the “langue of values and morality” that strengthens the right of the party case that it is the electable wing, look at Clinton in 92, he was far more conservative than many of the candidates who ran in 2004… the race could well come down to a liberal and a moderate and I think that the moderate will win simply because given a choice between what some of the lefties believe is “ideologically pure” and the prospect of winning the presidency they’ll pick the latter as they did in 1992, 2000 and 2004 (so they thought)… not that it wouldn’t be hard for Bayh, but he would resist the urge to pander to the party and despite this I think he’d still win his stances on taxes and trade will play well with Democrats and after four year of republican dominance (I don’t know what to expect from 2006) most Democrats won’t care about the rest.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 11:32:31 PM »

Pro-choice groups do have powerful grass-roots organizations that could mobilize against Bayh.  In the general election he would lose their organization as well, but not to an opponent.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 04:21:40 AM »

Pro-choice groups do have powerful grass-roots organizations that could mobilize against Bayh.  In the general election he would lose their organization as well, but not to an opponent.

It would be something that would be thrown at him, but he could probably overcome it, the thing is his views on abortion are very much in line with the majority of Americans view that abortion should remain legal but with strict restrictions and the banning of procedures like partial birth abortion... the good thing about Bayh is he'd drive Dean crazy Smiley 

In 1992 where a lot of anti-death penalty groups very opposed to Clinton?
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 08:42:51 AM »

It would be something that would be thrown at him, but he could probably overcome it, the thing is his views on abortion are very much in line with the majority of Americans view that abortion should remain legal but with strict restrictions and the banning of procedures like partial birth abortion... the good thing about Bayh is he'd drive Dean crazy Smiley 

In 1992 where a lot of anti-death penalty groups very opposed to Clinton?

People don't feel nearly as strongly about the death penalty as they do about abortion.  On either side of the issue.  It's rarely a litmus test for anybody.  Al Gore was also pro-death penalty and you heard nothing about it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2004, 01:36:32 PM »

I like Finegold, but I'm backing Bayh

Dave
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »