More bad news for Libertarians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:10:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  More bad news for Libertarians
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More bad news for Libertarians  (Read 1230 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2004, 05:07:03 PM »

Libertarian presidential candidate Badnarik got 0.76% of the vote in Indiana on election day, his best showing in the country, and more than double his national total.  Or so he thought...it now appears Badnarik's total was due to a vote counting error in at least one, and possibly several Indiana counties. 

From todays Hotline:
   Election equipment counted straight party votes for Dem candidates as Libertarian votes, in an error "that could affect election outcomes in as many" as 9 Cos. Dems discovered the error in Franklin Co. on 11/9 after noticing a final tally they couldn't "decipher." Fidlar, the Co's election equipment vendor, then notified election officials of the error on 11/10. The Franklin Co. Elections Board held an emergency meeting 11/11 and the ballots will be counted again 11/12. GOP Chair Bob Jewell: "Hopefully (the recanvassing) won't change the outcome of the election." Fidlar has machines in 9 IN Co's, including 2 in the 9th CD where Baron Hill (D) lost by fewer than 1.4K votes to Rep. Mike Sodrel (R). Fidlar officials have said Franklin Co. "is the only county where a database error occurred" (Howey Political Report, 11/12).  
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 05:55:19 PM »

The Dems should get a recount in CD9 in Indiana, I would certainly agree with that and it looks like it'll happen (according to the AP).

However, Franklin County is no longer in CD9, as it was 2000 and before, now it is in CD6, as the article points out, so I don't think this machine screwup would affect it there.

Ripley and Switzerland counties are the only counties in CD9 that use Fidlar technology.  The Libertarian candidate in those two counties received 202 votes.  If there was any problem there, it looks like to me that it won't be this problem affecting it.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 06:52:16 PM »

The Dems should get a recount in CD9 in Indiana, I would certainly agree with that and it looks like it'll happen (according to the AP).

However, Franklin County is no longer in CD9, as it was 2000 and before, now it is in CD6, as the article points out, so I don't think this machine screwup would affect it there.

Ripley and Switzerland counties are the only counties in CD9 that use Fidlar technology.  The Libertarian candidate in those two counties received 202 votes.  If there was any problem there, it looks like to me that it won't be this problem affecting it.

Yeah, just on the face of it, there doesn't seem to be a problem outside of Franklin County.   Badnarik got 7% of the vote in Franklin, and no more than 1% in any other county in Indiana.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 09:56:02 PM »

Ouch.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length