America and Onward
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:36:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America and Onward
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Poll
Question: Is this TL Worthy?
Yes

No

Maybe So

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: America and Onward  (Read 49613 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
« edited: January 13, 2011, 07:42:34 PM by Cathcon »

America and Onward Part XXXI

With the ushering in of 1991, big changes were coming to the capital of New York city, as the first ever elected Centrist President, Robert Casey, took office. He was also the third Catholic President elected to the office.
Minister of Domestic Policy: Joe Biden
Minister of Diplomacy: Birch Bayh
Minister of Warfare: Colin Powell
Minister of Justice: Joseph Lieberman
Ambassador to the Allied Forces: George Bush

Domestically, Robert Casey believed that government should work for the people. He empolyed this method with the Human Welfare Act of 1991, which established a system to help the unemployed by giving them benfits such as money and health coverage while they were out of work. Many American Patriots as well as fiscally conservative Centrists such as Pete duPont protested this act saying that it would end up with a violation of the Balanced Budget Amendment. However, with the support of Progressive in Congress, Casey was able to pass the bill.

In foreign policy, Casey attempted to forge his own path. Moving away from what Casey called "The Diplomacy of War", he instead chose to work using diplomacy. Ambassador to the Allied Forces George Bush, who was a Centrist hero, lead this new foreign policy with complete re-entry into the Allied Forces and contribution to the reconstruction of Europe and Asia by sending Renewed States troops over there. Many American Patriots, led by former Congressman Ron Paul of Pennsylvania, Casey's home state, rejected this saying that it would tie up America with un-needed commitments.

Since our defeat of the Soviet Union in 1987, We have been content to sit idly by and watch as our allied pick up the tab in reconstructing the damaged Europe and Asia left behind by decades of war. I shall attempt to end the 'Politics of War' that has dominated our foreign policy since this great country's creation, and substitute it with a 'Politics of Aid', for Eastern Europe, a 'Politics of Peace' for the Middle East, and a 'Policy of Diplomacy' for the world.
-President Robert P Casey, March 19th, 1991, "The Politics of Diplomacy" Speech

What President Casey has done in this foolish and statist attempt is tie up our country with un-needed obligations in foreign lands. He talks about us 'doing our part'. In case he hasn't forgotten, we did our part and those nations now asking us for help only have that ability because of what we did. Our so called 'debt' to the world has been paid and re-paid time and again. This great country is not the policeman of the world, is not the charity of the world, and is not the ruler of the world, and the Renewed States of America should not act in each of these roles which are all inappropriate. Our international manipulating will only lead us into foreign conflicts with native groups and further obligations.
Former Congressman Ron Paul, April 2nd, 1991

Former Congressman Ron Paul speaking out against Casey's interventionist policies

As the debate raged on about reconstruction, it naturally brought up a new topic. At the beginning of World War II, much controversy had originally erupted in Germany because of Hitler's ability to blame the small ethnic group the Jews on Germany's problems. It was realized that the Jewish people who had been spread out all over the world wanted a home in Israel, which at the time was a part of Palestine, but had been ejected from that area.
Originally brought up by interim leader of Poland Karol Wojtyla, who had been a leader of Polish Catholics during the days of Nazi Germany and the Axis Forces, the idea of the creation of a nation "Israel" was soon brought forth. Mapping out a small slice of land along the Eastern Meditterenean Sea that included the Holy City of Jerusalem, the foundation was laid in 1992. In the Renewed States of America, the act was supported by such politicians as Minister of Justice Joe Lieberman (C-CN), and Congressmen Chuck Schumer (P-NY) and Russ Fieingold (P-WI); all of which were Jewish, work began in late 1992 to evacuate pieces of Palestine, much to the ire of the Palestinians. Allied Forces Troops soon met with resistance in the form of terrorism. While the clearing still continued, it only angered more and more people in Palestine. By mid-1993, Casey was sending troops into Palestine and the rapidly filling up Israel. As the violence heated up in Israel, in the Renewed States of America, opposition piled up.

Polish Interim Leader Karol Wojtyla

Casey has done as any well meaning internationalist might do. He has ruined a formerly pleasant situation in the Middle East, known for its hostility and violence towards the West, and transformed it into Jihad, or Islamic Holy War.
-Former President Barry Goldwater Jr., September 24th, 1993

It seems that our itnerest in the Middle East is dominated more by oil and ideology than anything else! Look at how North American companies have begun setting up in Israel, ready to make large profits from the oil they plan to begin pumping once they get their hands into Iraq and Arabia! Meanwhile, zionists here at home led by our own Minister of Justice have insisted on their own private holy war for the reclamation of the Holy Land! This is preposteroud foreign policy altogether!
-Former Congressman Ron Paul, October 7th, 1993, at a debate with Congressman Russ Feingold

As hopes for any true progress seemed to go down the drain for President Casey, he did make progress with the Confederate States of America, led by the internationalist President Samuel Nunn. He and Casey became good friends, and Nunn soon brought up the issue of an atomic freeze.

More to Come...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »

Well, I finally updated. I hope you like it. The rest of Bob Casey's term should be up soon.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2011, 09:30:06 PM by Cathcon »

Any opinions before I move one to the second part of his term (1994-1995)? Hopefully it'll be up by this weekend.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »

94-95 you mean?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »

Oops. Yeah, I'm more used to working with the eighties for some reason.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 09:12:06 AM by Cathcon »

The First Term of President Bob Casey Continued

As conflict raged in the Middle East and both American Patriots and Progressives alike geared up to defeat Casey, his approval ratings continued to drop. this was accompanied by the resignations of Birch Bayh, Colin Powell, and Joe Biden who claimed that they were finished with Casey. With the exit of three of his more popular cabinet members, Casey was forced to fill the void left by them. For Diplomacy, he chose his own Minister of Justice Joseph Lieberman. For Warfare, he chose Ambassador George Bush, a senior statesman and hero to many Centrists. For Domestic Policy, the largest of the Ministries, Casey had a tough time finding someone to fill it, but ultimately he chose Congressman Charles Schumer, a Progressive who had stood by him on foreign policy.

The Robert P Casey Administration (1994-1995)
Minister of Domestic Policy: Charles Schumer
Minister of Diplomacy: Joesph Lieberman
Minister of Warfare: George Bush
Minister of Justice: Rudolph Guiliani
Ambassador to the Allied Forces: John S McCain III

In order to fill the void left in the Ministry of Justice and in the position of Ambassador to the Allied Forces, Casey chose relatively well known people for each. For Minister of Justice, he chose Congressman Rudy Guiliani who had worked for the Rockefeller Administration and was well known among Centrist circles. For Ambassador to the Allied Forces, he chose American Patriot, Congressman John McCain who had been a Navy Admiral and had headed Naval Forces near the end of World War II.

A formerly beautiful picture of Ambassador John McCain ruined by the stamp of 'Getty Images'

In terms of policy, Casey worked to extend government and to 'make it a force of good'. One of his first steps following the Human Welfare Act of 1991, as to pass the 1994 Renewed Infrastructure Act. This, for the most part, worked on rebuilding and repairing roads, fixing government buildings, providing better welfare housing, etc. However, an unforseen consequence was the closing down of several major highways for construction purposes, as well as the construction costs for repairing several government buildings across the nation. Despite this, Casey pressed on. As a Catholic, he believed life began at conception. He attempted to pass the Human Life Act, which offically defined life as beginning at conception and protected it from there one. Despite it being endorsed by unlikely allies such as House Majority Leader Jack Kemp, Indiana Governor Dan Quayle, and former Congressman Ron Paul, the act was repudiated by Congress because of a large amount of Progressive and Centrist opposition, as well as a small amount of moderate and Libertarian-leaning American Patriots.

In foreign policy, the greatest lasting legacy for Casey was the attempting to pass the Atomic Freeze Amendment. Supported by Congressmen such as Mark Hatfield (P-OR) and Walter Mondale (P-MN), it failed to pass Congress and was rejected by a large margin.

In Israel and Palestine in the meanwhile, progress had been significantly made in the way of clearing and securing land. The interim Israeli leader had begun work on a functioning government with emphasis on military. However, violence was at an all time high in the Israeli-Palestinian Territory and the Palestinian government had declared war on the Renewed States of America.

With all these events coming into play, the table was set for the 1995 Presidential Election. The Centrists were in a bad spot while both the Progressives and the American Patriots were looking for a jab. The Progressive, who hadn't had a President since Richard Nixon in 1978, were hoping that 1995 would be their big break.

Congressional Balance of Power 1991-1995
American Patriots-56; Leader-Jack Kemp
Progressives-51; Leader-Walter Mondale
Centrists-13; Leader-Jay Rockefeller
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »

Any opinions?

And for the record, though the difference isn't easy, the picture of the Mack is from 1992, so it should be accurate. Also, there are only about three pictures of Bob Casey Sr. on google images, and I've used one three times and the other two each once.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »

A note on the structure and hierarchy of the military:

First there is the Minister of Warfare, main military adviser to the President, as well as commander of military forces in the President's absence. He works on strategy, policy, and informing the President of military situations.

Following that, there are the heads of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Intelligence. These Heads actually command troops in the field in the event of major battles. The exceptions are for Air Force and Intelligence. However, with the army and the navy, the Head accompanies the fleet or commands the troops. Another responsibility is to head the Congressional Committee on the Head's subject. For example, Admiral John McCain, while not elected to Congress until 1990, was Head of the Navy from 1981 to 1990, and thus Head of the Congressional Naval Committee.

Active Congressmen may serve as Heads as long as they are deemed capable of handling the situation. It is unlikely that an active Congressman will be appointed Head of the Army or Head of the Navy because that requires going into open combat. An example of the military wing of a cabinet is:

Minister of Warfare: Donald Rumsfeld
Head of the Navy: Admiral John McCain
Head of the Army: General Colin Powell
Head of the Air Force: Congressman Ron Paul
Head of Intelligence: Congressman James L Buckley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2011, 05:19:49 PM by Cathcon »

America and Onward Part XXXII
The 1995 Centrist Party Nomination

With an ever unpopular war, President Casey had been expecting a primary challenge. However, he had expected it from someone like Brown or duPont. Instead, it came from House Centrist Leader Jay Rockefeller, newphew of former President, the late Nelson Rockefeller. He had taken the reigns of power in 1986 after Ford's retirement.

President Robert P Casey Sr. of Pennsylvania
Despite havign started an unpopular war, many people were grateful for what he had done with entitlement programs, and more Conservative Centrists liked that Casey had not touched their guns and had worked to end abortion. Despite this, the war took center stage, as well as a slowing down economy.

House Centrist Leader John D "Jay" Rockefeller Jr. of New York
A popular figure among Centrists, Rockefeller, like the Bushes, was a member of Centrist royalty. However, by a number, he was viewed as too Liberal. Despite that, he gained traction with his ardent opposition to the creation of Israel and the ensuing conflict that took place in the Middle East. Mostly, his slamming President Casey on the war is what allowed him to gain traction in early polls, rather than any other specific issue.

In the primaries, even though Casey was an unpopular incumbent, he was expected to win. However, Rockefeller got momentum from the first primary state of Vermont, and continuing West from there, won the majority of primaries held that year, for the first time successfully primarying a sitting President.

Yellow-Rockefeller
Dark, strange Yellow-Casey

House Centrist Leader Jay Rockefeller-The 1995 Centrist Nominee for President
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »

This is to tide you all over. Hopefully, I'll be able to put up the AP and Progressive nominations up soon.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »

I like Jay Rockefeller.. but I'll surely support the progressive.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »

Shameless Bump.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

I like this TL more than I like A second chance, but I actually like both of them. update wherever you want xD
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2011, 03:54:31 PM »

I like this TL more than I like A second chance, but I actually like both of them. update wherever you want xD

I'm glad you like both of them. I'm hoping to get this done before I finish "A Second Chance", so I can get on to the next timeline I have planned (will be revealed upon completion of this). Writing for someone's term is easy, but with the primaries and all, it's just about finding the right candidates and finding the work ethic to make the map.

In the future, I'd like to redo this so that there are more than just two countries, and there can be like four or five.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »

Interesting work, Catchon. Keep it coming Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »

Interesting work, Catchon. Keep it coming Smiley

Thanks. Smiley I'd really like if you continued your Commonwealth timeline, so I could see the fate of the Conservative and Moderate parties.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »

I want to see if Rocky pulls it off in 1995 and to at least see what happens with Israel and any possibility of American re-unification. Also, I wonder whatever happened to Canada and if the RSA will fill in the void.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »

Expect some updates tonight, and maybe a change in all the maps.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »

The 1995 American Patriot Nomination

For the American Patriots, it was believed that after seventeen years of being out of power, the election was for the Progressives to lose. While they felt that they wouldn't be the likley victors, that didn't stop major candidates from running.

Former Congressman Ron Paul of Texas
Still politically active despite his losing of an election that should have been his five years ago, Ron Paul was once again ready to stand up to what he viewed as "Imperialism, Statism, and the Progressive Way". Of the three major candidates, he was viewed as the most nutty, and also as the candidate most opposed to Casey, having not supported American Intervention in the Middle East, not being for funding of European and Russian Reconstruction, and going against Casey's economic plans. The only areas he agreed with Casey on involved abortion and gun rights. Having already lost once, the American Patriot was not eager to go down the "Paul Path" once again.

House Majority Leader Jack Kemp of New York
A favorite of more "mainstream Conservatives" and a proud supporter Goldwater-economics, Kemp had been amember of the HoE since 1971. A former football player who had, during the early to mid sixties, been one of the greatest in the nation, Kemp was viewed as an "All-American" sort of candidate. Since 1981 he had been among the American Patriot House Leadership. Among the major candidates, Kemp was viewed as the strongest.

Governor Dan Quayle of Arizona
A fellow "dye in the wool Conservative" and a native of Indiana, Dan Quayle by 1995 was a rising star and a one term Governor to one of the most loyal American Patriot states. To some, he represented a new breed of politician when he announced his entrance into the race late in 1994, while to others he represented a 'dumb American' for his occasional gaffes. Nevertheless, by the first few primaries, he had emerged as one of the three largest candidates in the field.

In the primaries, Kemp turned out to be the dominant force with his endorsement from the establishment, his twenty five years of political experience, his celebrity, and his appeal to Conservatives. By the end it was clear that he was the winner.

Blue-Kemp
Dark Blue-Quayle
Light Blue-Paul

At the convention, both Paul and Quayle endorsed Kemp. With both other major candidates endorsing him, Kemp accepted the nomination with nearly unanimous support from the delegates. Even though the tides of the election were not likely to turn towards them, the American Patriots were willing to give it all they had.

House Majority Leader Jack Kemp of New York-The 1995 American Patriot nominee for President
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

The 1995 Progressive Party Nomination

Having been out of the Presidency since 1978, there was a growing rift in the mood of members of the Progressive Party. On one hand, there was a group that was losing all hope in the idea that the Progressive could win a Presidential Election. However, there was another group that felt momentum was on their side in 1995. After seventeen years of Centrist and American Patriot dominated politics, this group felt that the people of the Renewed States of America were once again ready to embrace the Progressive agenda. Among the candidates to announce their candidacy, five emerged as leading in various poles.

Governor Mario Cuomo of New York
A popular member of the Progressive Party, Cuomo was the favorite to win the Progressive nomination for President, leading in the first two primaries on the list, Vermont and New York. However, he was hurt by the fact that Robert F Kennedy had been a Catholic, and there was a certain part of the Progressive Party thinking "Do we really need another Catholic?". Since his death, Robert F Kennedy had fallen from grace in RS history, having been revealed to  be part of the scandals that took down his successor Richard Nixon. Despite that, Cuomo received a number of endorsements from member of the establishment, including that of Congressman Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts. His political experience included two terms as New York City Mayor and one term as New York Governor.

Former Governor Joseph R "Bob" Kerrey of Nebraska
A contender from the previous election who had failed to gain his party's nomination, the fact that Kerrey was from the West was a helping factor for him as he attracted moderates and more Libertarian minded Progressives. Given that a number of Western Primaries were also open primaries, this helped him.

Former Minister of Domestic Policy Joe Biden of New Jersey
A "Working Man Progressive" who attracted many disillusioned members of the party, Joe Biden's candidacy would primarily draw on hopes that he could take enough votes from Cuomo and combine them into a coalition that included working class voters and social moderates to win. However, he was not the favorite, polling a low second in New York and a fourth in Vermont.

Lawyer and Environmentalist Ralph Nader of Connecticut
A lawyer who had begun his career working for the Robert F Kennedy's Justice Ministry, he first came to the public eye working with James Roosevelt on the Congressional Committee on Natural Preservation in the early 1970's. After work there, he became one of the many lawyers that President Rockefeller had prosecuting the higher up members of the Nixon Administration. Since 1980, he had worked as an environmentalist, lawyer, and a consumer activist, testifying before Congress a number of times. In 1985 it was suggested he run for President as an Independent, but he declined. However, ten years later after an obvious dearth of Progressive policy in the nation, he felt that the country was in need of someone like him.

In Vermont, the first primary of the season, Nader won a surprising victory. Many pundits were stunned and it shook the political world. Many people tried to find an explanation for it and they came up with one. They got the idea that a last minute Biden surge couple with a drop in Kerry's polls had caused enough support to swing to Nader to push him to second. However, that wasn't enough. The thing that completed it was a surprise snow storm that left a small part of the electorate unable to get to the polls. That gave Nader his victory, which he won with three tenths of a percentage of the popular vote. In the next primary, New York, Cuomo won big, as well as in Massachusetts. However, the rest of the season proved troubling for him as Biden surged in both Michigan and Pennsylvania. Meanwhile, Kerrey had been setting up in the West since the beginning, knowing that it was his only key to win the nomination. When the Western Primaries opened up, he won all six of them, handing him victory.

Light Green-Kerrey
Dark Green-Cuomo
Blue-Biden
Blue-Green-Nader

With delegates in hand, at the convention, which took place in, ironically enough, New York City, Kerrey accepted the nomination with open arms. With the political winds swinging their way, the Progressives felt confident of victory that year.

Former Governor Bob Kerrey-The next President?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2011, 06:34:09 PM »

Comments, Questions, Critiques, Complaints, Compliments, Candidates to root for?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »

I'd like to redo all the maps, but when I use atlas forum maps with numbers from the EV calculator, the background is black, not white.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 04:29:20 PM by Working Man »

Kerrey Wins! First Progressive Since Nixon in 1975!

Former Governor Joseph R "Bob" Kerrey (P-NE)-58 electoral votes
House Majority Leader Jack F Kemp (AP-NY)-43
House Centrist Leader John D "Jay" Rockefeller IV (C-NY)-18 electoral votes

Kerrey's victory over the overly able opponents of Jack Kemp and Jay Rockefeller marked a new era for the out of power Progressive Party. When the Renewed States had first formed, they had been the dominant party. However, charismatic and enthusiastic campaigns by Barry Goldwater and later by his son had equalized the political spectrum, and by the Kerrey won election, the Renewed States had become center-right on the political spectrum. With this said, it was Bob Kerrey who would equalize the Renewed States political spectrum.
-An Emerging Era, Sean Wilentz

Historically Significant Gubernatorial Races

In New York, Mario Cuomo was re-elected

In Arizona, Dan Quayle won re-election

In Massachusetts, the Centrist Massachusetts Justice Minister, William Weld, was elected Governor

Historically Significant Congressional Races

In Oregon, longtime Congressman Mark Hatfield retired

In New York, both Jack Kemp and Jay Rockefeller were re-elected

In Pennsylvania, Colin Powell was elected to Congress with the endorsements of both the Progressives and the Centrists

In Arizona, George W Bush, son of Centrist hero George Bush, was elected to Congress

In Iowa, Tom Harkin was re-elected
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

Any comments?
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

Go Kerrey, he's a democrat from Nebraska Cheesy yay oldies!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies