America and Onward
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America and Onward
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Poll
Question: Is this TL Worthy?
Yes

No

Maybe So

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: America and Onward  (Read 49624 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »

If you're considering Kerrey some kind of a conservative, then go back to your school, kid.
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »

If you're considering Kerrey some kind of a conservative, then go back to your school, kid.

I vote Democrat, even if they liberal, (except Obama, for obivous reason0
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »

They never mentioned Bob Kerrey in my school. Wink

From what I read, he was economically moderate. I'm not talking Jerry Brown, just moderate. Nevada is a swing state, and it goes for Kerry. In South Dakota, Kerrey was able to build off of the electorate that first elected George McGovern. It was very narrow. I'll change it if need be, but it won't be easy.
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »

sorry for call you sinner
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »

From what I read, he was economically moderate. I'm not talking Jerry Brown, just moderate. Nevada is a swing state, and it goes for Kerry. In South Dakota, Kerrey was able to build off of the electorate that first elected George McGovern. It was very narrow. I'll change it if need be, but it won't be easy.

I was adressing the troll, Cathcon Smiley
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »

I was adressing the troll, Cathcon Smiley

Why cant you be my friend? Is it because I used to be evil?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

Okay, so coming up are the CSA 1990 and 1996 elections. Hopefully, they'll be up today, however I have homework, and I may have to finish the rough draft of a paper I didn't start, so I don't know.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »

America and Onward Part XXXIII
Song of the South

The 1990 Presidential Election

In the 1990 election, with a good economy and an accomplished Reform President, Vice-President Samuel Nunn was favored to win both the Reform Nomination and the Presidency. For the Constitution Party, they were experiencing a great fissure over the issue of free trade. While one wing led by former Ambassador to the Renewed States Pat Buchanan called for an end to the Continental America Free Trade Pact, around 60% of the party called for the expansion of free trade.
    At the 1990 Constitution Convention held in Dallas, Texas, a state with a growing Constitution population, former Vice-President Trent Lott fought tooth and nail for the nomination. He was a proponent of Free Trade and had a strong Conservative record.

In the general election, Nunn was free to run on the economy while Lott tried to nail him on specific issues to no avail. The Constitution Party was forced to face the fact that the country was moving to the political center with a growing Latino population and the right of people of all colors and races to vote. That vote had been guaranteed by President Baker and had been narrowly accomplished during his term. Lott's chances for winning Texas were ruined when Texas businessman H Ross Perot announced an Independent candidacy for President, crying out against free trade and the deficit. Because of Perot taking precious votes away from Lott, the election was thrown to Nunn.

Vice-President Sam Nunn (R-GA)/Congressman William J Clinton (R-AR) 42 electoral votes
Former Vice-President Trent Lott (C-MO)/Congressman Newt Gingrich (C-GA) 36 electoral votes
Businessman Henry Ross Perot (I-TX)/Former Ambassador Patrick J Buchanan (I-MD) 13 electoral votes

Sam Nunn presided over continued economic boom during his term. However, he was mainly interested in foreign affairs and he worked on expanding and strengthening international relations. One of his first steps was to become friends with then-Renewed States President Robert Casey. He also continued to work towards an atomic freeze or at least arms control.

One of the most controversial issues was whether or not to support the nation of Israel. Israel had been created by the Allied Forces and RS President Robert Casey was himself a big supporter. However, Nunn wasn't so sure. He decided to focus more on the construction of the country rather than on sending troops over. Instead, he sent money, supplies, building materials, and military traineres to help build an army to defend Israel against the nest of enemies that surrounded it.

One of President Nunn's greatest domestic accomplishments was the Full Liberties Proposal which was what he believed was the final act of Civil Rights in the South. It not only desegregated all government buildings down to a local level, it also commanded all government agencies to be desegregated. One of what Conservatives saw as its biggest flaws was the fact that it forced stores and businesses to sell to people of all races and "colors". However, it passed, though it destroyed political capital for Nunn for the rest of his term despite the good economy.

The 1996 Presidential Election

Despite low approvals, the economy was good and there was an overall sense of good feeling in the Confederates States of America.

For the Reform Party, Vice-President Bill Clinton was the frontrunner, though he was being challenged by perrenial candidate Senate Minority Leader Jim Folsom Jr. of Alabama. After Clinton won, he went against the advice of others and instead of choosing Folsom, who he had come to despise after the small amount of primary battles, he chose Florida Governor Bob Graham, a moderate known for sometimes bucking the party line.

The Constitution Party had a much tougher time deciding who to nominate with Jesse Helms, Newt Gingrich, and Pat Buchanan fighting it out for the nomination. Finally, Buchanan garnered a plurality of delegates and convinced the others to go along with him. For Vice-President, Buchanan chose Texas Congressman Lou Dobbs. It was seen as historically the weakest Constitution Party ticket to be put out in the history of the nation, and in the end, neither candidate carried his home state.

Vice-President William J Clinton (R-AR)/Governor Daniel Robert Graham (R-FL) 65 electoral votes
Former Ambassador Patrick J Buchanan (C-MD)/Congressman Louis C Dobbs (C-TX) 26 electoral votes

For the second time in the history of the Confederate States of America, a political party won three straight terms in a row. However, despite the weak Constitution candidate, the country was not as Liberal as some Reform Party members might like.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2011, 09:17:29 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2011, 09:32:53 AM by Herbert Hoover Revivalist »

America and Onward Part XXXIV
The First Term of President Bob Kerrey
Minister of Domestic Policy-Joseph Biden (P-NJ)
Minister of Diplomacy-Jay Rockefeller (C-NY)
Minister of Warfare-Colin Powell (C-PA)
Minister of Justice-Lowell Weicker (P-CT)
Ambassador to the Allied Forces-Mark O Hatfield (P-OR)

The most pressing issue of Kerrey's first year in office was the "police action" in Israel and the surrounding countries. Since the chaos first erupted, counties such as Palestine had been swallowed by larger countries. The state of the Middle East was a mess and it would not be easily fixed.

The Condition of the Middle East ca. 1996
Unlabeled Purple-Israel
Unlabeled Yellow-Kurdistan
Unlabeled Green-Syria
Unlabeled Red-Jordan

Collaborating with CSA Presidents Sam Nunn and Bill Clinton, as well as working with the Allied Forces, Kerrey was able to negotiate a pull out from Israel, leaving only troops in amounts similar to those of other countries. He also concentrated much more on "nation-building" rather than openly fighting terrorists from the neighboring Syria and Jordan. This involved Renewed States troops working to set up schools and infrastructure rather than concentrating on killing and rooting out terrorists. However, troop deaths did not go down. They went up. With the troops concentrating less on fighting and not being on the offense, terrorists had strengthened and were coming in more waves. Finally, working with Minister of Defense Colin Powell he authorized the "troop surge" in May of 1997. It was a two year plan formed with the correlation of several other nations. It was designed to slowly go over Israel peace by peace to root out terrorists and make sure everything was secure. Meanwhile, in safer areas the military would be trained. There was protest on both the Right and the Left, as well as international criticism.

There seems to exist today in our Northern neighbor the mindset that it is the responsibility of the West to intervene in Arab affairs, and to go about creating whatever nations that are wanted or wished for by individual groups of people. Now, with the actions of people like President Nunn and Vice-President Clinton, that mindset has infiltrated us to the South as well. We will continually lose money and troops before we learn our lesson because this nation seems to have in it a lust for war. This mindset needs to stop and we need to return the government to the people.
-Former CSA Ambassador to the Renewed States Patrick J Buchanan campaigning for President, 1996

The "mindset" the former Ambassador Buchanan was referring to seemed to manifest itself in the creation of the International Committee of Israeli Support headed by former Minister of Diplomacy Joseph Lieberman who was a strong supporter of Israel and an admirer of the Paleo-Liberal Henry M Jackson who was known for his staunch support of the RSA's allies and support for high military spending. Members included former Minister of Domestic Policy Chuck Schumer and former Ambassador to the Alllied Forces John McCain, who was planning on running for Governor of California in 2000.

ICIS Chairman Joe Lieberman (left); Friend and ICIS member former Ambassador to the Allied Forces John McCain

However, the troop surge went forward as planned. While President Kerrey's approval ratings dropped, he decided to let the surge work out as it would and turned towards domestic affairs. The nation as a whole had moved much mroe to the Right since its original founding in 1953. During the "Wallace/Kennedy1" era as it was called, nearly every service had been performed by the government on a national scale with the only private enterprises being locally owned businesses who sold to the people and to the government. While President Kerrey did not want to move the nation that far back to the left, he was a proponent of universal health insurance and in late 1997, the Progressive controlled Congress passed the Complete Health Protection Act which re-instated elements of both the American Corporations and the Great Society in that it gave government funded health coverage to every citizen of the Renewed States.

With that triumph, President Kerrey's approval ratings stood around 53% in 1998. However, with two more years of hist term until election night 2000, he didn't know if he'd be around. However, the economy was still going strong and if everything worked out, he would be able to claim victory in Israel, and he hoped that would boost his approvals.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »

The First Term of President Joseph Robert "Bob" Kerrey Part Two

With a good economy, Kerrey was still on good ground as President. In 1998, he pushed the Environmental Preservation Plan It created the Office of Environmental Preservation. That passed despite a large amount of uproar from the American Patriots. Secondly, President Kerrey passed the Environmental Protection Plan, which amended the Environmental Preservation Plan in that the Office of Environmental Preservation, became the Office of Environmental Preservation and Protection. President Kerrey appointed environmentalist Ralph Nader to be the head of the OEPP.

However, that was only a minor accomplishment compared to the withdrawal of troops from Israel in late 1998. President Kerrey declared the combat operations were over and that with the Allied Forces in charge of Israel and a newly trained military, Israel would be safe. He withdrew all forces except for a small amount of advisers and trainers.

In 1998, President Kerrey withdrew nearly all troops, claiming that Israel was in good hands...

With that acheivment, the President's approvals soared and he was able to pass other pieces of his agenda, concerning the creation of a minimum wage, as well as official National Parks. The idea of national parks had first come up during the "Kennedy2/Nixon" era, with Hames Roosevelt headed the Comission on Natural Preservation. However, it took over twenty years for the issue to be brought up again. Working with the Governors of the states of California, Nevada, Montana, Colorado, and others, various regions were set aside for preservation, and the eventual conversion into National Parks.

States containing one or more Renewed States National Parks, ca. 2003

In foreign affairs, the Allied Forces Reconstruction of Eastern Europe and Asia wasn't going as planned. The Allied Forces had taken the liberty of drawing the borders as they saw fit, lumping certain areas together that should never have been lumped together. In volatile areas such as George, terrorists attacks happened daily and many a meeting of the Allied Forces was spen attempting to repeal certain barriers and re-adjust how they were doing things. Meanwhile, in Moscow, it seemed that the city was torn apart by three factions: The mob, the ultra-nationalists, and the ex-Soviets. All three factions were vying for control of Moscow in order to have a handle on trade and supplies so as to stake themselves out as the new powere of Russia. Allied Forces police actions didn't help either. They only added a fourth side to the already crowded conflict. With the city being torn apart, trade had decreased as companies had re-routed their transports so as to avoid the warring city and the chances that their goods would be stolen or the people taken hostage. This caused the fragile economy to stagnate and the loosely pieced together country of Russia was in no good shape by the year 2000.

A de-railed train that was on its way from Moscow to Saint Petersburg - Suspects include the Ultra-Nationalists because the alleged head of the Moscow ex-Soviet movement was aboard and was killed

Despite the unrest overseas, President Kerrey maintained high approval ratings and was expected to win handily over any opponent, and was expected to crush primary opponent Vermont Governor Howard Dean.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »

OK, I was expecting for this moment since last february haha... GO KERREY =). I've always liked that man ^^. and, obviously, progressives took power (after some years, OK...) !!!

clinton and kerrey could reunificate the USA, IMO.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »

Shameless Bump. I'm not sure when I'll be able to update.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:59 AM »

Looking forward to seeing what happens on the foreign and domestic front, as well as who succeds both Presidents Kerrey and Clinton. Keep it up!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »

Looking forward to seeing what happens on the foreign and domestic front, as well as who succeds both Presidents Kerrey and Clinton. Keep it up!

Thanks, and welcome to the forum.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »

Bump something not shameless jajaa
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »

I'll try but I don't think that Han, Dallasfan, and Mechaman will appreciate it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »

Update coming soon!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

The 2000 American Patriot Nomination

Because of Kerrey's complete and successful de-escalation of the conflict in Israel and Palestine, the American Patriot Party took a much more pro-war stance than in previous years. Also, with the success of the Kerrey Administration, a number of high profile candidates decided not to enter the race.

Governor James Danforth "Dan" Quayle of Arizona
The most politically experienced candidate of the race, Quayle was seen as also the most Conservative. He had been the runner-up in 1995 and his supporters claimed that by right, 2000 should be his year.

Businessman Steve Forbes of New York
Not only a new entry into politics, but a new entry into the American Patriot Party, Forbes had considered running in 1995 but declined. In 2000, he had decided he would run. Running on a platform made up entirely of economic principles, he was seen as one of the most Conservative on taxes. However, on social issues, he would only tell his positions when directly asked, and they would not be Conservative. Despite that, both former Presidents named Goldwater endorsed him and that gave him a significant boost.

Former Ambassador John McCain of California
Despite not having much experience in electoral politics, having spent three years as a Congressman from Southern Califonia, McCain was respected among members of the American Patriot Party for his service during World War II not only as a soldier but also as Renewed States Head of the Army. However, going against him in the primaries was the fact that he had accepted a post in the Casey Administration and was a die-hard supporter of Israel and a friend of former Diplomacy Minister Joe Lieberman. Despite that, McCain did fairly well. Also that year, he was running for Governor of California.

In the primaries, despite opposition by both Forbes and McCain, Quayle swept a majority of the primaries. Even in certain mountain and plains areas where McCain was expected to do well with the military vote, Quayle won with margins ranging from .1% to 15%. Despite winning the last primaries of the season, California and Washington, McCain knew that his campaign for President, at least in 2000 was over as Quayle was the obvious victor.
Former Ambassador McCain meeting reporters in the caucus state of New Hampshire

Dark Blue-Quayle
Blue-McCain
Light Blue-Forbes

A campaign poster for Governor Dan Quayle of Arizona
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »

Wow. Yesterday was the four month anniversary for this timeline.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »

Wow. Yesterday was the four month anniversary for this timeline.

Congratulations =)
A Forbes presidency would have been interesting, but GO KERREY =)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »

Interesting as always Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »

Thanks, though I'm starting to think I need more butterflies like people in different professions. Maybe Sonny Bono (don't know if that's spelled right) will get elected to Congress in 2000.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »

The 2000 Centrist Party Nomination

1995 had not been an encouraging year for members of the Centrist Party. They had been soundly rejected with both Liberal and Populist wings of their coalition failing to deliver. Members of the more Populist wing of the party, led by former Minister of Diplomacy Joe Lieberman tried to justify Rockefeller's loss as reason that Casey should have been the nominee. While the talk leading up to the election continued, President Robert Casey, suffering cancer, died on May 5th of 2000.

January 9th, 1932-May 5th, 2000
Governor of Pennsylvania 1981-1990
7th Presidetn of the Renewed States of America 1991-1995

Going into the primaries, that gave certain candidates bumps of sympathy and others losses in the polls. The full list of candidates was:

Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut
A politician who had fallen out of favor with a large part of the Centrist Party for "steering Casey down the wrong path", Lieberman had been trailing in the polls until Casey's death. When that happened, he received a significant bump, but not enough to win him the nomination. He had been in politics since 1985 when he was elected to Congress. In 1990 he had been selected by Robert Casey to become Minister of Justice in the upcoming Administration. Four years later in early 1994 he had been chosen to become the Minister of Diplomacy where he remained until January 1st, 1996. Since then he had chaired his International Committee of Israeli Support.

Former Justice Minister Rudy Guiliani
Guiliani had also risen to prominence through the Casey Adminsitration, though he was far more Liberal than Lieberman and was the protege of Jay Rockefeller. He had served three years in Congress and two as Justice Minister before going into a five year semi-retirement. It was after those five years that he stepped back into politics with his 2000 Presidential Campaign.

Governor Judd Gregg of New Hampshire
A "solidly Centrist" candidate who was successful in New Hampshire, the most fiercely Centrist state in the union, Gregg had the most going for him in the primary season. He had served as New Hampshire Governor for ten years by 2000 and was the establishment favorite.

Evan Bayh of Indiana
Another of Casey's "Populist" brand of Centrists, he was another "Solid Centrist" favoring business friendly policies, government run health care, and being pro-life yet moderate on most other social issues. He jumped in primarily to stop Lieberman who he claimed would "usher the party back into 1975", 1975 being the year the Centrists only carried New Hampshire. His candidacy was also attractive because he had been elected outside the North-East.

For the Centrists, the 2000 primaries marked the first year that primaries would be held in all thirty states. In 2005 the Progressives and American Patriots would adopt the same system.

With the primaries eventually coming down to Gregg vs. Bayh, Gregg won out because of establishment favor. However, Bayh had succeeded in his goal of derailing Lieberman's candidacy which failed outside of New England. Witht that, Judd Gregg became the 2000 Centrist Party nominee for President.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »

=) I always thought Gregg would be a terrific presidential candidate. But as popular as Kerrey is in your TL, I think he'll be reelected.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »

Bump. Tongue Hopefully I can update this thing and finish it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies