Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 02:42:33 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2010 Elections
| | |-+  2010 Senatorial Election Polls (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | | |-+  PA: Muhlenberg/MC: Sestak 40/Toomey 48 (10/24-10/27) DO NOT ENTER UNTIL 27 DROPS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: PA: Muhlenberg/MC: Sestak 40/Toomey 48 (10/24-10/27) DO NOT ENTER UNTIL 27 DROPS  (Read 22267 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:13 pm »
Ignore

Day 5 Muhlenberg Tracker

Toomey: 46%(+1)
Sestak: 43%(+1)

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/

This can be entered in the polling database.  Nothing else until 23rd drops off.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »
Ignore

Hmmmm, there seems to have been an avalanche of 'interesting' polls in the past day or so.

Everybody and there dog will be releasing a poll in the next ten days.

Colleges, Universities, Newspapers, Zoltan The Magnificent, Pete's All Beef Double Cheeseburger poll, Zogby, The Psychic Hotline....

The list of crap will get very thick and deep....

But are Zogby's polls more or less reliable than those by Zoltan The Magnificent or the Psychic Hotline?

Pete's all beef Double Cheeseburger poll actually has a pretty decent record..... Smiley

No man's liberty is safe while Congress is in session...Thomas Jefferson
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »
Ignore

Toomey stays the favourite because dems are overrepresented in polls like PPP and Mulhenberg. But I agree with Rasmussen: sestak has cut the toomey lead in solidifying his base.

The 2 polls are actually miles apart when it comes to party registration:

Muhlenberg has 49% Republicans and 46% Democrats.

PPP has 48% Democrats and 41% Republicans.

By average it's 47% Democrats and 45% Republicans. While the Exit Poll will certainly show less Democrats and Republicans and more Independents, the 2% average lead for the Democrats should be OK, also in the Exit Poll.

The first muhlenberg had 46-46. Change the party id and, oh surprise !, the final result is changed...

Problem for dems is that indep will vote in large margin for toomey. Hence, overpolling dems and underpolling ind give a fake advantage to Sestak, even if the gap between dems and rep is correct.

What makes you think is oversampling of Dems??  The Democrats have a rather large registration advantage in PA (51-37 at the end of 09).  Even if you take into consideration party id not always matching registration, and stronger GOP turnout than Democratic turnout (Muhlenberg btw asks registration not ID) I don't see how you can really say the party id in the polls is off.

DO you think that 46 % of the voters will be democrats ?

Better chance of that happening than 49% Republican, considering registration is 51-37 in the favor of Democrats.

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
Ignore

I thought Catholics were a majority in PA? The Muhlenberg poll has 49% of the electorate as Protestant and 33% as Catholics, as of the day three pdf.

Have they released the day 4 pdf yet?

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

tokar
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.87, S: -6.87

P P

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »
Ignore

I thought Catholics were a majority in PA? The Muhlenberg poll has 49% of the electorate as Protestant and 33% as Catholics, as of the day three pdf.

I can't find it, only day 3 is on Muhlenberg's website.  It is always so hard to find them.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2010, 11:25:13 pm »
Ignore

Probably safe to say that Toomey is up by about 2-4%. Hopefully Sestak closes well, he has before.

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2010, 11:26:40 pm »
Ignore

I can't find it, only day 3 is on Muhlenberg's website.  It is always so hard to find them.

I waisted an hour myself looking for it.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2010, 12:17:18 am »
Ignore

And then there were nine...

Yeah, I think the numbers are supposed to be reversed.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2010, 12:20:07 am »
Ignore

It's on the right hand side of their Politics page but it seems like their Twitter account is updated before the website.

Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2010, 01:55:12 am »
Ignore

It's on the right hand side of their Politics page but it seems like their Twitter account is updated before the website.

The update is on the website for the results, but they were talking about the PDF file with the cross tabs.

Dgov
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2010, 02:14:52 am »
Ignore

When did you hear this?  I'm pretty sure Protestants outnumber Catholics in every state in the US (Expect maybe Hawaii, but that doesn't count).  I think they even do in New Mexico given that the state has a large population of Protestant Hispanics.

Political Matrix:  +7.1, -3.83

A world without sin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NVs68X_S4
MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2010, 02:29:25 am »
Ignore

When did you hear this?  I'm pretty sure Protestants outnumber Catholics in every state in the US (Expect maybe Hawaii, but that doesn't count).  I think they even do in New Mexico given that the state has a large population of Protestant Hispanics.

Rhode Island is around two-thirds Catholic.
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2010, 02:34:52 am »
Ignore

NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA,VT, NH, CA & NM Catholic is the largest group.

http://www.usatoday.com/graphics/news/gra/gnoreligion/flash.htm

Dgov
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2010, 02:47:14 am »
Ignore

You're not adding up the individual Protestant groups.  They add up to more than the Catholics do in New York, New Jersey, etc. (unless all the "others" are non-Protestant Christians,  which they most likely are)

A world without sin:
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2010, 03:08:13 am »
Ignore

You're not adding up the individual Protestant groups.  They add up to more than the Catholics do in New York, New Jersey, etc. (unless all the "others" are non-Protestant Christians,  which they most likely are)

I'm guessing you flunked Math.....

IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2010, 03:11:02 am »
Ignore

Is it me or do the numbers for New York in that link only add up to 93%?

Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:29 am »
Ignore

Is it me or do the numbers for New York in that link only add up to 93%?

It is 93%, keep in mind you have some that are less than .5% that don't show up, that brings you into the 95 or 96% range, rest could be due to rounding.  It looks like its the same in most states.

Dgov
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2010, 04:37:14 am »
Ignore

Lets do the Math then:

100% -38% (Catholic) - 13% (Non-religious) - 5% (Jewish) - 1% (Buddist) - 2% (Islam) -2% (other--see below) = 39% (all other minor religions listed were Protestant or Christian in nature, and I'm willing to bet at least half the "other" is small protestant churches)

39%>38%.  Epic problem-solving fail on your part

A world without sin:
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2010, 01:25:55 pm »
Ignore

Lets do the Math then:

100% -38% (Catholic) - 13% (Non-religious) - 5% (Jewish) - 1% (Buddist) - 2% (Islam) -2% (other--see below) = 39% (all other minor religions listed were Protestant or Christian in nature, and I'm willing to bet at least half the "other" is small protestant churches)

Others does not exactly mean Protestant, nor does simply saying Christian, nor does Non-Denominational  ,

Baptist 7%
Methodist 6%
Lutheran 2%
Presbyterian 2%
Protestant (no Denomination given) 2%
Pentecostal 2%
Anglican 2%
Assemblies of God 1%
Evangelical 1%

Thats 25%, now if you add all of Christian (4%) thats 29% and all of others,4%, that is 33%.  Rounding might bring it up slightly higher, but not higher than 38%, and not all of Christians or Others are Protestant.

Dgov
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2010, 01:58:46 pm »
Ignore

Lets do the Math then:

Others does not exactly mean Protestant, nor does simply saying Christian, nor does Non-Denominational  ,

Baptist 7%
Methodist 6%
Lutheran 2%
Presbyterian 2%
Pentecostal 2%
Anglican 2%
Assemblies of God 1%
Evangelical 1%

Thats 25%, now if you add all of Christian (4%) thats 29% and all of others,4%, that is 33%.  Rounding might bring it up slightly higher, but not higher than 38%, and not all of Christians or Others are Protestant.

So the Problem is where the extra 4-5% Comes from in the poll (which we thought was probably rounding error).  Odds are it goes heavily to the Protestants (as they have more denominations to be rounded off)

A world without sin:
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »
Ignore

Lets do the Math then:

Baptist 7%
Methodist 6%
Lutheran 2%
Presbyterian 2%
Pentecostal 2%
Anglican 2%
Assemblies of God 1%
Evangelical 1%

So the Problem is where the extra 4-5% Comes from in the poll (which we thought was probably rounding error).  Odds are it goes heavily to the Protestants (as they have more denominations to be rounded off)

Even taking that into consideration, some the rounding could also be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim, or No religion, etc

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2010, 02:03:50 pm »
Ignore

Guys, who cares?

Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:52 pm »
Ignore

Guys, who cares?

I could really careless, I just find it rather interesting he can't do basic math.

Dgov
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »
Ignore

Guys, who cares?

I could really careless, I just find it rather interesting he can't do basic math.

*Sigh.  It's like banging my head against a wall here.  Do you have any idea how much more likely .5% rounding error would make difference across 16 separate values (some of which round to Zero) rather than 5?

As for whether or not this matters, I agree it doesn't--I just find it odd that his understanding of math doesn't stretch beyond "38 is bigger than 37" and fails to understand basic logical analysis, and that he sees this as a failure on my part.

A world without sin:
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2010, 03:40:21 pm »
Ignore

Guys, who cares?

*Sigh.  It's like banging my head against a wall here.  Do you have any idea how much more likely .5% rounding error would make difference across 16 separate values (some of which round to Zero) rather than 5?

As for whether or not this matters, I agree it doesn't--I just find it odd that his understanding of math doesn't stretch beyond "38 is bigger than 37" and fails to understand basic logical analysis, and that he sees this as a failure on my part.

Assuming that every single one that said Christian, every single one that said others are Protestant as well as assuming every single rounding error works in favor of Protestant is just plain silly and irrational. 

Anyway back to the topic at hand.  Tonight and the results Tuesday Night will be interesting.  They are the days in which the days that swung to Toomey will drop off. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout