What's Going On In PA?!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:32:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's Going On In PA?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What's Going On In PA?!  (Read 4449 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »

As a Keystone stater, I haven't really noticed anything to account for Sestak's surge in the polls, save for Sestak's attack ads. What's going on? Shocked Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »

Calm down.  Tongue

Is the race tightening? Yes. Do I really believe Sestak erased Toomey's double digit lead without something major happening? No.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »

The double-digit lead is as believable as Sestak's lead...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »

There isn't a double digit lead now but he clearly had one (or close to a double digit lead) a few weeks ago confirmed by basically every poll.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »

I wish somebody would pay SUSA to do a poll.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »

There isn't a double digit lead now but he clearly had one (or close to a double digit lead) a few weeks ago confirmed by basically every poll.
My point is:if you could trust the 8% lead before based on polls alone,why wouldn't you believe that now it's basically a tossup?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »

Well, no. Rasmussen's 10 point lead is the one of only two "double digit" leads Toomey's shown since Labor Day, the other being from almost a month ago. Rassy's poll is over week old and, as Spade correctly noted, weighted inaccurately GOP in its sample.

Excluding Rassy's week old and questionable poll, the race had been averaging a 5-9 point Toomey lead---and that was also more than 2-3 weeks ago.

Just sayin'....
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

My point is:if you could trust the 8% lead before based on polls alone,why wouldn't you believe that now it's basically a tossup?

Because there wasn't any reason for the shift. Such a major shift doesn't happen without a reason.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »

Because there wasn't any reason for the shift. Such a major shift doesn't happen without a reason.

Obama rally in Philadelphia, Democrats coming home in the final weeks of the campaign, some campaign ad resonating. It could be a lot of movement among fickle undecideds rather than voters actively shifting from Toomey to Sestak.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

I love how RealClearPolitics includes Fiorina's internal poll in their average of her race and yet excludes Sestak's in his. Damned right-wing spin doctors!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »

I love how RealClearPolitics includes Fiorina's internal poll in their average of her race and yet excludes Sestak's in his. Damned right-wing spin doctors!
Anybody is still taking that site seriously?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »

Looks like the dog poop ad worked.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »

Well, no. Rasmussen's 10 point lead is the one of only two "double digit" leads Toomey's shown since Labor Day, the other being from almost a month ago. Rassy's poll is over week old and, as Spade correctly noted, weighted inaccurately GOP in its sample.

Excluding Rassy's week old and questionable poll, the race had been averaging a 5-9 point Toomey lead---and that was also more than 2-3 weeks ago.

Just sayin'....

I said almost double digit lead and note the other polls that showed Toomey with a seven to nine point advantage and I did say that it was two weeks ago.

Obama rally in Philadelphia, Democrats coming home in the final weeks of the campaign, some campaign ad resonating. It could be a lot of movement among fickle undecideds rather than voters actively shifting from Toomey to Sestak.

Those aren't big enough events to send Toomey down to the low 40% range.

Because there have been a flood of polls since...well...the very beginning of this race showing Toomey in the lead every time and now only two questionable polls show Sestak barely ahead.  Tongue  

I said the race is narrowing but I'll wait until a third poll shows Sestak up to say it's a total toss up.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/10/20/gopers-acknowledge-problem-pennsylvania
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »

Nate Silver seems to agree with Phil. PPP is not to be trusted (close ties to the Dems, and some odd little statistical noise is attending PPP's act at the moment), but rumor has it that the internals of both parties show the race "tightening."  So there you have it. I don't see Sestak winning (Obama not popular enough), and if he does, than something is really odd with all the PA CD's supposedly going to flip - maybe as many 5 and perhaps even 6 - although there is something going on for the Dems in PA-8 out of Bucks County for reasons which escape me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »

Imagine the laughter that would follow that comment that if it was made just two years ago.  Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »

although there is something going on for the Dems in PA-8 out of Bucks County for reasons which escape me.

Pat Murphy is a hell of a campaigner with a strong organization and he remains personally popular. That one will be another close race.

We're expecting to flip four seats. Picking up five or six is a definite possibility (PA 8 is one of them).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »

Pennsylvania voters have requested nearly 127,000 absentee ballots so far. Of that total, Republican voters made up 50 percent and Democrats made up 42 percent, according to figures collected Tuesday afternoon.

The state records show Republicans are returning their absentee ballots in greater numbers as well. The state has received about 40 percent of requested ballots, and Republican registrations outpace Democrats by 19 points, 56 percent to 37 percent, according to the state data. Absentee ballots made up 5 percent of total turnout in 2008.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/50845-1.html?ET=rollcall%3Ae8986%3A80063109a%3A&st=email
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »

I wonder what the exact numbers were for '08 and '06. I don't trust Democratic operatives to present an objective view. From that article: "Democrats note that absentee ballot totals have favored Republicans in each of the past two cycles, although the edge was smaller than it appears to be this year. "
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »

...we better be awake at 6:30 AM Eastern. That's when they'll release their numbers on the Senate race.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »

...we better be awake at 6:30 AM Eastern. That's when they'll release their numbers on the Senate race.

As close as this one is getting, the networks might not call it before then.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

Let's talk PA Senate for a second.

What do you predict will be the outcome. I would love to see Joe Sestak elected senator but I am still skeptical.

What do you think the final numbers will be?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »

It'll be close, but not as close as Illinois or Nevada will be. If Sestak can't get to high 40's by election day, Toomey will win.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »

I think Toomey still has the edge. I'm not sure if he's been campaigning at full steam thus far, but now he will be, and will go more negative on Sestak. He also stands to benefit a little from Corbett's coattails.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »

As close as this one is getting, the networks might not call it before then.
What? Either I'm crazy, or your crazy, because that doesn't make any sense. Are you talking about election night results? Because I think Phil was talking about a poll coming out tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies