1984 Presidential Election (by congressional district)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1984 Presidential Election (by congressional district)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: 1984 Presidential Election (by congressional district)  (Read 26545 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:05 AM »
« edited: January 08, 2012, 02:44:37 AM by Fuzzy »

Thanks to Shilly and realisticidealist, I now have a nationwide CD map for 1984!  Here you go:

1984 Presidential Election by Congressional District (nationwide)

Voting data provided through me from the Almanac of American Politics 1988 by Michael Barone and Grany Ujifusa.  I know I have already sited the book before, but just in case.  Wink
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »

Thoughts?  Questions/comments?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »

Any CD's went for Reagan in 1980 and Mondale in 1984?

It's ironic seeing the coal belt (eastern KY, southern WV) as one of the few Democratic CD's. Certainly economics were a bigger influence back then.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2011, 12:30:26 PM »

It's ironic seeing the coal belt (eastern KY, southern WV) as one of the few Democratic CD's. Certainly economics were a bigger influence back then.

There was one in Iowa (Des Moines), one in California (L.A.) and another in Indiana (the Indianapolis district).

Based off of realisticidealist's 1980 map, it looked like a CD in NYC may have also flipped to Mondale.  But the congressional boundaries were different then, so I can't be totally sure.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »

PCMF, what was Reagan's margin in Ron Packard's district? Back then that was the 43rd district. Considering Reagan got 65% in San Diego County and 74% in Orange County, and that this district took in the most republican areas of both counties, this easily could have been his best district in the country.

There were two districts in Texas which gave Reagan over 80% of the vote; Tom Delay's district in east Harris County, and the CD in Northern Dallas County.  

But I don't think there were any 80% CD's in California.  I'll double check though.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »

There was one in Iowa (Des Moines), one in California (L.A.) and another in Indiana (the Indianapolis district).

Based off of realisticidealist's 1980 map, it looked like a CD in NYC may have also flipped to Mondale.  But the congressional boundaries were different then, so I can't be totally sure.

Actually, realistic's maps were based on what the results would have been under 1980's boundaries.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2011, 04:57:10 PM by Pacific Councilor Mr. Fuzzleton »

Based off of realisticidealist's 1980 map, it looked like a CD in NYC may have also flipped to Mondale.  But the congressional boundaries were different then, so I can't be totally sure.

Actually, realistic's maps were based on what the results would have been under 1980's boundaries.

Oh, well in that case he would have picked up 1 CD in NYC.  I was thinking of the districts by designation rather than location when I wrote that above. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies