Crazy pro-life ad for Amendment 62 in Colorado compares Obama to Angel of Death
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:22:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Crazy pro-life ad for Amendment 62 in Colorado compares Obama to Angel of Death
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crazy pro-life ad for Amendment 62 in Colorado compares Obama to Angel of Death  (Read 1607 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »

Umm Wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Os0cwpCQE&feature=player_embedded#!
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »

They don't actually mean that he is the angel of death. Maybe you think they also think he is the Joker.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »

Maybe you think they also think he is the Joker.

Of course not. Bush was.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »

They don't actually mean that he is the angel of death. Maybe you think they also think he is the Joker.

He said they compared him to it, and they clearly did.

Hilarious commercial! I kind of expected them to start ranting about the NWO towards the end.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »

Sending out money internationally to fund abortions is pretty out of line. I mean, it's much better those women living in poverty just do it the old fashion way. Clothes hangers! Perhaps they'll kill themselves in the process too. But at least the fetus won't be abor... ah.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »

Rated PG-13.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »

Great ad. Accurate and on-target.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »

Hmm, this is the same state where that crazy billboard recently appeared, and which is coming dangerously close to electing Tom Tancredo as its governor.  What the heck is going on in Colorado?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:49:53 AM »

Hmm, this is the same state where that crazy billboard recently appeared, and which is coming dangerously close to electing Tom Tancredo as its governor.  What the heck is going on in Colorado?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

It's affecting the entire nation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »

Of course we know a pro-choicer Nixon plotted actively with Barack Obama, Supreme Court and, of course, the NWO (AKA United Nations) to force you to kil your baby.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »

Impressive.  Obama has definitely become the whipping boy for all the nation's ills.  I think it's probably a built-in campaign advantage that the GOP has over the Democrats right now.  Republicans can put a face on the enemy--Nevermind that it's quite a stretch to claim that the ObamaCare bill actually directly underwrites abortion procedures; moreover, Colorado 62nd amendment proposition is state law and has nothing to do with Obama; and the "angel of death" criticism is hyperbole, at best; and anyway the Roe decision came when Obama was just 13 years old!  None of it matters.  Whatever your issue, you can blame Obama for your problems.  The Democrats, however, don't actually have a face to put on their problems this year.  George Bush is so 2006.  McCain?  Not even a has-been, but a never-was.  They tried to rally the troops around an antipathy for Boehner, but he just wasn't dislikeable enough.  The tea party movement leader?  Try to find one.  There's just not a Republican face you can paint like The Joker or the Grim Reaper, not this year.

Never mind facts, or authenticity, or accuracy.  It's image that matters.  Marketing is all about image.  Obama is somehow conflated not only with Death, but with moral decline, and in a palpable way.  The images were striking, and kept in focus just long enough for the imagery to sink in, but not long enough so that the viewer starts to question the incongruity of it all.  And, oh, the soundtrack!  Music is, indeed, the universal language.  Was that a piece by Hans Zimmer?  Sounded a bit like that.  Whatever it was, the music was ominous and exhilarating, keeping us tuned in.  And getting folks out to vote for Prop 62 means, probably, getting some votes for Republicans up and down the ballot.  And that's the goal of this ad, I'd imagine.  Overall, I'll have to give this commercial advertisement a big thumbs up.  
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »

These kinds of ads are designed to keep voter turnout as low as possible....
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2010, 07:23:23 PM by angus »

These kinds of ads are designed to keep voter turnout as low as possible....

Nonsense.  Some people feel very strongly about the issue of human fetal abortion.  It's not a dealbreaker for me, but many people (especially many Republicans) feel that abortion is tantamount to murder, and this is exactly the sort of issue that'll bring them out to vote.  Once in the booth, they may also remember to help elect Ken Buck, who seems to be losing a little ground just now.  Of course, some folks will also be motivated to vote against prop 62 by this commercial.  I know I would be.  I don't think we should be restricting abortion access.  But the hope, I"m convinced, is that more will probably be motivated to vote for, rather than against, this proposition.  And I think that's probably a safe bet.  Among those who consider abortion a great crime against humanity--and I bear them no ill will, even though I do not share their convictions--it is very important to stop it.  On the other hand, among those who feel that the government should not be in the business of hindering access to abortion, it simply isn't such an important issue.  Unless you just happened to get some bimbo pregnant, or unless you happen to be that bimbo who just got pregnant, it's not going to rank among your priorities.  So, overall, it has a slight affect on the Pro-Choice crowd, and a major affect on the Pro-LIfe crowd, and the net effect is to turn out a big anti-abortion vote, and that usually helps Republicans.

But all of that is only tangentially related to the thread.  The thread seems to be more about the artistic value of the commercial itself.  (I'll assume that "ummm, wow" means that "wtf were these twisted fucks thinking?!")  I think they were quite clever.  Whether or not you agree with the message, you have to admit that it's a rather spellbinding ad.  The soundtrack is moving and the images are moving as well.  Artistically, it is a bit like a particularly surreal Kandinski poster, sans backpainting.  Joltingly expressionistic  A shocking call to action.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 07:28:16 PM »

This amendment will fail, easily. Tancredo will lose, too.

We have a very, ahem, enthusiastic religious right from Colorado Springs. This very same amendment was on the ballot in 2008, failed easily.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:14 AM »

Holy crap..... although I'll admit that it's probably quite an effective ad.

It's gonna be a turnoff to a large amount of people, but it revs up the pro-life and anti-Obama bases.  And let's be honest, I have a feeling not too many people are exactly undecided on an issue like this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies