Tea Party-Backed Candidates Diverge on Foreign Policy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:46:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tea Party-Backed Candidates Diverge on Foreign Policy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tea Party-Backed Candidates Diverge on Foreign Policy  (Read 1195 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »

link

I just changed my WV endorsement to Raese.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

It's shame that you are fooled.

Well, I'm considering writing Obama's campaign and asking for my $50 back, but I certainly won't be fooled again.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »

My eyesight is functioning well enough to notice that Barack Obama has taken positions on Iraq and Afghanistan not only to the right (left?) of 2008 John McCain, but also George W. Bush, and that the supposedly "antiwar" Democrats are marching in lockstep with him.  I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to individuals who are not yet voting in congress, and to one (Tom Coburn) who has voted against every war funding bill since March of 2008.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »

Ronald Reagan was quite the dove, actually.  The only foreign interventions of note in his 8 years as president were the UN peacekeeping mission in Lebanon, which he pulled out of immediately as soon as things got too hot, and invading the tiny, practically-uninhabited island of Grenada.  In private, he liked to talk about how much he wanted world peace and nuclear disarmament - he almost agreed to get rid of the entire US nuclear stockpile in his 1986 summit with Gorbachev.

His foreign policy was hardly good, just, or moral, but it was certainly above-average for 20th/21st century presidents.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »

Ronald Reagan was quite the dove, actually.  The only foreign interventions of note in his 8 years as president were the UN peacekeeping mission in Lebanon, which he pulled out of immediately as soon as things got too hot, and invading the tiny, practically-uninhabited island of Grenada.  In private, he liked to talk about how much he wanted world peace and nuclear disarmament - he almost agreed to get rid of the entire US nuclear stockpile in his 1986 summit with Gorbachev.

His foreign policy was hardly good, just, or moral, but it was certainly above-average for 20th/21st century presidents.

Ahh yes quite the Dove indeed.  he only just decided to arm Saddam, arm the Iranian's, so he could fund the Contra's, whose funding was made illegal since they were raping and killing women and children.....

Well, as I said, his wasn't the most pleasant foreign policy ever, but in terms of actually involving US troops in combat (and in signing arms limitations treaties), he's among the most dovish of 20th-century US presidents.  He was also hardly the first president under which the State Department authorized unpleasant things - the recently-revealed surreptitious infection of Guatemalans with STDs under Truman being one example.  Whatever the case, he certainly was far more of a noninterventionist than Obama (or Clinton, or Johnson, or Kennedy, or Truman, or Roosevelt, or Wilson).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies