MA-04: Barney Frank in a tight race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  MA-04: Barney Frank in a tight race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA-04: Barney Frank in a tight race  (Read 2388 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »

link

Frank: 49%
Bielat: 37%

Undecided: 12%
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »

Fleming & Associates of Cumberland, R.I?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »

tight??
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »

Rhode Island is right near the district.

Well, as tight as it's ever gotten for Frank.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

Well obv, I've just never heard of them. Seems like a trash poll to me, not that this race won't be fairly close.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »

Closer than he's used to, but the district is D+14 and that's more than enough of a cushion for Frank. The lowest he will get is 59-60%.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »

Well obv, I've just never heard of them. Seems like a trash poll to me, not that this race won't be fairly close.

Well, all of the other polls (to my knowledge) have been internals, so I'd rather go on this.

Bielat is a young, enthusiastic opponent and Frank's never really had a race like this on his hands before, so it's not very surprising that he isn't doing as well as a Democrat should be doing in MA.

Bielat's been running some really good ads, too.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »

Well, all of the other polls (to my knowledge) have been internals, so I'd rather go on this.

Bielat is a young, enthusiastic opponent and Frank's never really had a race like this on his hands before, so it's not very surprising that he isn't doing as well as a Democrat should be doing in MA.

Bielat's been running some really good ads, too.
Frank is lucky that he has Newton and Brookline in his district or he'd be in trouble. It seems that he would have problems connecting with his Democratic constituents in New Bedford and Fall River because he's gay and is the face of unpopular economic policies. He and Tierney seem like candidates that could lose unexpectedly this cycle.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »

It seems that he would have problems connecting with his Democratic constituents in New Bedford and Fall River because he's gay and is the face of unpopular economic policies. He and Tierney seem like candidates that could lose unexpectedly this cycle.

He's been their representative for eighteen years now. And before they had Gerry Studds.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »

Tight is not exactly a word I want to hear when thinking about Barney Frank...
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »

I suppose a pollster based in Ogdensburg, NY would be a good pollster for the Ottawa elections?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »

It seems that he would have problems connecting with his Democratic constituents in New Bedford and Fall River because he's gay and is the face of unpopular economic policies. He and Tierney seem like candidates that could lose unexpectedly this cycle.

He's been their representative for eighteen years now. And before they had Gerry Studds.
I looked the results up for 2008 and Frank didn't underperform in either so you're right. I still wonder if the fact that he's gay would make people less reluctant to vote for Bielat in those areas if they dislike Frank's economic positions as well.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2010, 07:04:13 PM by cinyc »

I suppose a pollster based in Ogdensburg, NY would be a good pollster for the Ottawa elections?

Not even close to the same thing.  A big portion of Barney Frank's district is in the Providence-New Bedford TV market.  This is a poll for one of the TV stations in that market, using the pollster that they usually use.  There is nothing weird about it, or reason to believe that their MA-04 polling would be any worse than their RI-01 or RI-02 polling.

Now, how good this firm's RI polling usually is may be a different question....
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »

Not sure how a double-digit lead is a tight race but whatever.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »

Not sure how a double-digit lead is a tight race but whatever.

It's a tight race for Barney Frank, but not that tight a race in the grand scheme of things.  Frank should win.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »

Now, I know some people are comic reliefs in the House, but who can beat out old Barney?

The VPOTUS has more sense. I mean really...

He has some value to all of us. I say let MA-04 continue to be a joke district.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »

Aside from the fact that Frank is consistently voted one of the smartest members of Congress in those polls of Congressional staffers...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »

People in New Bedford and Fall River aren't critical of his economic policies because he is very good on delivering services to those communities.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

Aside from the fact that Frank is consistently voted one of the smartest members of Congress in those polls of Congressional staffers...

Then either the congressional staffers are wrong or members of congress are really stupid.  I've seen Barney in person several times, and would describe him as an individual who is perhaps aloof and marches to his own drummer, but he's no genius.  He certainly thinks he's a genius, though - every thought that pops into his brain is wisdom worthy of Aristotle, and the most fascinating and original idea on that particular topic that there has ever been.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »

Then either the congressional staffers are wrong or members of congress are really stupid.  I've seen Barney in person several times, and would describe him as an individual who is perhaps aloof and marches to his own drummer, but he's no genius.  He certainly thinks he's a genius, though - every thought that pops into his brain is wisdom worthy of Aristotle, and the most fascinating and original idea on that particular topic that there has ever been.

Hmm... who to trust. People who work with Frank every day or some dude on the Internet who's "seen him in person several times". Difficult choice...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »

You haven't seen him ramble for 20 minutes about how he opposes the War in Iraq, which was a bad idea - but he still supports the War in Afghanistan, which was the right thing to do - he opposes the War in Iraq, which was based on lies by the Bush administration - we need to focus on Afghanistan, where the real terrorists are - but that doesn't include Iraq, which we should absolutely withdraw from - but we need to keep our focus on Afghanistan - and where is Osama?  Why haven't we found Osama? - but we need to withdraw from Iraq - so we can focus on Afghanistan . . . . . .
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies