The Borders Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:02:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Borders Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Borders Act  (Read 1757 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2004, 01:33:19 PM »

Here's an idea to help redistricting and the NY bottleneck.  It'll also fix the fact that AK and HI dont border anything.

The Borders Act.
Section 1.  The following sets of states shall be considered "bordering" for the purpose of redistricting:  New York and Michigan; New Jersey and Connecticut; Alaska and Washington; Hawaii and California; Michigan and Minnesota.

If anyone has suggestions on other sets, or would like to see states taken out, please suggest.  I really think this would help solve some redistricting problems.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 02:21:50 PM »

That would give some states double representation. that's a no-no.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 02:30:42 PM »

That would give some states double representation. that's a no-no.
how?  It just eases the redistricting process by "creating" borders between states.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »

While it might help regularize the situation with Alaska and Hawaii,   I don't really see that it does anything to make redistricting easier.  If the Constitution hadn't already been amended, the CT-NJ link you propose would be helpful, but as things stand, I doubt the utility of this bill.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 03:18:52 PM »

We should ask some UK voters to change their registration from New York/New England to some other part of the country. They are one of the main reasons for this population problem.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 03:22:16 PM »

Haven't you proposed an idea like this before Harry?

If it makes are redistricting easier than i'll approve it, but you will have to prove it will make redistricting easier.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 03:36:29 PM »

I don't see how this would solve any problems within the redistricting process. We are already able to jump across one state when constructing the districts by the non-contiguity clause in the Districts Amendment. And as for Hawaii and Alaska, we have already been assuming that they are "naturally" placed with the Western states, so all that would do is fix a procedural flaw in the present system as opposed to making the process easier or fixing any substantive flaw.

New York to Michigan is the only two state jump in your list, so that would be gained, but I still don't see how it would fix the problems of redistricting. Really we either need to break PA and NY up - obviously impractical, or we need to move people out of these States, and I'm not in favour of forcing anybody to move States.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 03:54:19 PM »

Hmmm, we could split PA into two states, and do the same with NY.  East/west on PA and NYC/upstate for NY, and have everyone register in one or the other.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 03:58:29 PM »

Hmmm, we could split PA into two states, and do the same with NY.  East/west on PA and NYC/upstate for NY, and have everyone register in one or the other.

As I say, that is impractical because:
1. We would have to decide where the new borders would be.
2. Its a buggar for people already registered there to have work out which half they want.
3. What do we do with the people who inevitably don't bother to pick one half of the State to move into?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 08:00:26 PM »

As I say, that is impractical because:
1. We would have to decide where the new borders would be.
2. Its a buggar for people already registered there to have work out which half they want.
3. What do we do with the people who inevitably don't bother to pick one half of the State to move into?
1. Not a problem.
2. Whichever side they live on.
3. We could call one "Pennsylvania" and the other "Allegheny" or something.  So people would at first be all registered in PA, and if they wanted could switch to Allegheny.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »

On behalf of my constituents in PA and NY, I strongly oppose any attempt to split the states in two, for the reasons Attorney General Peter Bell has specified.  Not only will it be rather unruly, it would also make the registration process more complicated for those in these states than for those living in other states.  It is unfair to force these measures upon registered voters simply because of their geographic location.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 08:06:13 PM »

On behalf of my constituents in PA and NY, I strongly oppose any attempt to split the states in two, for the reasons Attorney General Peter Bell has specified.  Not only will it be rather unruly, it would also make the registration process more complicated for those in these states than for those living in other states.  It is unfair to force these measures upon registered voters simply because of their geographic location.

well something needs to be done to make redistricting not only easier but also giving more options, and these are the only two ways I can think of doing it:  "creating" borders or splitting states
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 04:50:17 AM »

Translation, something needs to be done to make gerrymandering more easy, since spliting republican voters isnt easy enough as it is now.

well something needs to be done to make redistricting not only easier but also giving more options, and these are the only two ways I can think of doing it:  "creating" borders or splitting states
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 04:59:26 PM »

I agree with most everything, except New York and Michigan, given it makes about as much sense as an alcoholic mule. We need to find a way to encourage emmigration away from the populous states.

Siege
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 05:05:57 PM »

I don't see the big problem.

Yes, 20% of the population is in NY/PA, but there are plans out there that make it work.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies