Will Prop 19 pass?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Prop 19 pass?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Will Prop 19 pass?  (Read 2289 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/is-proposition-19-going-up-in-smoke/

A new entry by Nate about Prop 19 and it doesn't look good. He figures there is a 50-50 chance of passage. I am a bit more pessimistic than him but I'm still holding out hope since not one SurveyUsa poll has it trailing (they were the only ones who got Prop 8 right). I am also waiting for the latest PPP and Field poll. To me it looks like Prop 19 has strong support from about 47-48% of the electorate. Getting above that is the tricky part. And there is also the issue of voters coming out to vote in this election who never would in a midterm. We don't know how big that number actually is and whether pollsters are trying to account for it. SurveyUsa is trying, but I don't know about the rest. Also here is a database of Prop 19 polling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_%282010%29#Polls
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »

I have a feeling it will, but I hope it doesn't.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »

It has had a similar polling trajectory as Prop 8, so it wouldn't surprise me very much if it is met the same fate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »

It has had a similar polling trajectory as Prop 8, so it wouldn't surprise me very much if it is met the same fate.

Exactly. I suspect it will also go down by about 52%-48%. Obviously, I hope that isn't the case though. It's sad how slightly more than half of California voters get to terrorize slightly less than half through this direct democracy facade.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »

No, because many old people will vote in this election.

I´d say 56-44 No.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:23:03 AM »

No, because many old people will vote in this election.

I´d say 56-44 No.

SurveyUsa says that the general pattern of this election will be disrupted in California, seemingly due to prop 19. For example the people who usually don't vote in midterms, but are this year, are voting in high numbers for Boxer and Brown. Compare that with anywhere else in the country and it's Republicans who are doing well amongst these new voters. If an older, more Republican electorate did show up in California like in the rest of the country, your estimate would be pretty accurate. These new voters should be able to cut it to a 5 point loss for Prop 19, and they might just save Boxer's ass.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »

I have a feeling it will, but I hope it doesn't.

Because, obviously, prohibition works so well, right?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »

I hope it does, but I also thought Prop 8 wouldn't pass so I'm leaning towards it won't.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »

I don't think it will. What I'm really interested in is the map.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »

It's going to narrowly pass (51-49 or so) due to minority support being understated in polls.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »

I don't think it will. What I'm really interested in is the map.

It's going to similar to the prop 215 map, except support will be much lower everywhere. And this will be especially true of the bay area. I believe this is due to the high Asian vote.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »

Something interesting from PPP's upcoming poll: 29% of voters under 30 in California say Prop 19 is their biggest reason for voting. 37% say Gov race, 23% Senate race.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »

I'm a little confused about Proposition 19.  Even if it passes, won't federal laws keep the sale of Marijuana illegal?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2010, 05:57:26 PM by sbane »

I'm a little confused about Proposition 19.  Even if it passes, won't federal laws keep the sale of Marijuana illegal?

Yes, the feds will be able to crack down whenever they want. What I am not clear about is whether local authorities could use federal law to justify cracking down themselves.

I suspect the legislature will have to step in and clarify things, just like they did with Medical Marijuana. One of the reasons why I decided to vote Democrat for state races in addition to federal races ( I refuse to vote Republican at the federal level). The main reason was Whitman selling out to the police unions. That made me realize Republicans are just as full of sh**t about pension reform as the Democrats are. Then I realized there were a ton of other issues where I wanted the Democrats in control, regulating Marijuana being one of them. Hell, the Republican nominee for attorney general has vowed to crack down on Medical Marijuana...not to mention recreational use.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »

The Dem establishment has come out against Prop 19. Will that matter? I don't know, but ads are running now that passing Prop 19 will mean a cut off of Fed money to the state, and force employers to hire stoners. Of course, Fed money will be in short supply anyway, but for some, that is their only hope I guess.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »

The Dem establishment has come out against Prop 19. Will that matter? I don't know, but ads are running now that passing Prop 19 will mean a cut off of Fed money to the state, and force employers to hire stoners. Of course, Fed money will be in short supply anyway, but for some, that is their only hope I guess.
The Dem establishment is against it because they don't want to hurt themselves amongst swing voters and minorities, especially Hispanics and Asians. I am sure they are absolutely thrilled in private that these stoners will likely ensure Boxer wins and that Brown wins by a decent margin, and perhaps save them some assembly seats as well. I don't know if their opposition has much to do with money. Obama is still going to send money here, and the Republicans will oppose it, regardless of what happens with prop 19.

So the no on 19 people are running ads in LA? There has been absolutely nothing here. What about the yes campaign? Seen any of their ads? Anyways I wouldn't have a problem with companies not hiring potheads, as long as they didn't hire alcoholics either. Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »

It would be nice if it passed, but I predicted that it would narrowly fail a while ago. It's got every major politician against it. It'll probably do similar to Proposition 66.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_66_%282004%29
Dgov
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 02:58:40 AM »

It might be that the Democrats are hoping it won't pass so they can put it on the ballot again.  California has probably the single best Democratic turnout of any state right now, and part of that is because young Democrats really support Prop 19 and are actually turning out to vote for it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 03:29:19 AM »

It would be nice if it passed, but I predicted that it would narrowly fail a while ago. It's got every major politician against it. It'll probably do similar to Proposition 66.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_66_%282004%29

I bet 66 would pass today though.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »

I'd feel comfortable betting against Prop 19 at this point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »

Sbane, I have heard no ads for Prop 19, just ads telling me its passage will cost California a lot of federal money, and that employers will have to hire the baked, and their productivity will go into the toilet. That particular ad was funded by the California Chamber of Commerce.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »

Sbane, I have heard no ads for Prop 19, just ads telling me its passage will cost California a lot of federal money, and that employers will have to hire the baked, and their productivity will go into the toilet. That particular ad was funded by the California Chamber of Commerce.

This one's going the way of prop 8. A 5 point loss.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies