1948 in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:05:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1948 in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you want to win?
Truman

Dewey

Thurmond

Wallace

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: 1948 in 2012  (Read 1453 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »

I decided to start my new tl, but I will finish the 1860 tl as well. Expect the first post in a little while
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »

Announcer: From ABC News Election Headquarters, it is the 2012 Vote. Here is Peter Jennings.

Jennings:  Good Evening and welcome to our election HQ. This election is looking interesting already, so let’s now get to the results:

First in Indiana, ABC News gives the state and it’s 11 EV’s to Mr. Dewey, this has been a solidly Republican state since the election with Mr. Wilkie.

Also in the state of Vermont, Mr. Dewey is the winner, not a surprise a Republican state since 1860.

Meanwhile in Kentucky home of VP nominee Barkley, ABC gives Kentucky to President Truman, not a surprise at all.

We have another call, in the state of South Carolina ABC News gives the state to its favorite Son/Governor Strom Thurmond, not a surprise at all. Also, Governor Thurmond is also leading by three points in Georgia.

Let’s Look at the map:

Dewey is blue, Truman is red, Thurmond is Green, and if he wins any Wallace is yellow.

Dewey is leading like many experts have predicted the last few weeks but, Truman is a lot closer than many thought. Let’s go the Senate Results with George Stephenopolis.

George: Thanks Peter, we have a few early calls:

First in the state of Georgia, ABC now declares Richard Russell the winner despite no opposition. But, Russell is expected to become a Dixiecrat and to lead the party in the Congress.

Also elected with no opposition is Senator Burnet Maybank, who has not decided to join either the Democrats or Dixiecrats, but he is elected for another six years in Congress

The next election is actually a close one in the state of Kentucky. ABC declares this race too close to call between Senator John S. Cooper and His open Virgil Chapman. Chapman has a one percent lead, this one might go late into the night before we have a winner.

Let’s look at the senate map:

Here is the current senate as it stands:

The Democrats have actually lost a seat making the total 51 Republicans, 47 Democrats and 1 Dixiecrat. South Carolina is orange due to Maybank not being able to decide his party. It might change by the end of the night, Peter?

Jennings: We will be back after this message.

Dewey/Warren- 14 EV's
Truman/Barkley-8 EV's
Thurmond/Wright- 9 Ev's
Wallace/Taylor- O Ev's
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »

Good start. Go Truman!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »

Jennings: Welcome Back, every seat in the house of Representatives is up for election tonight, and to fill everyone in from Washington is David Muir. David?

Muir: Thanks Peter, let’s look at the results as we currently have them. With very few districts called by ABC news, the Republicans have one two, while the Democrats have one. The democrats have actually lost a seat so far to the Dixiecrats in South Carolina’s First District. Representative L Mendel Rivers has made the switch to the Dixiecrat party facing no opposition. That is the first seat to go for the Dixiecrats tonight, and is not a shock.

This is a map of all the House seats. Republicans are Blue. Democrats Red, Dixiecrats Green, and Progressive is Yellow.

That’s it for now Peter.

Jennings:  Thank you David, and now let’s go to the last of our correspondents Meg Oliver who is in charge of tonight’s gubernatorial elections. Meg?

Oliver: Thanks Peter. Tonight 11 Governors offices are up tonight, and we already have a winner. In the state of Vermont ABC News gives the Governorship to the Incumbent Ernest W. Gibson Jr., who did not face much of a Challenge from his democratic opponent Charles Ryan.

In the state of Indiana, the race is too close to call. The former Governor, Henry F. Schriker is trying to become the first governor elected to non-consecutive terms in Indiana, is leading but not at the point of when we can call him the winner. We will watch this race as well as the rest of the races.

Back to you Peter.

Jennings: Thank you Meg, we will now give control to the local channels for the results in your area. We will be back in a few minutes.

Announcer:  This is ABC.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »

So far I am the one and only Thurmond voter here.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »

I am sure there is a few more
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »

Dewey of course, but Truman was probably the best Democrat President we've ever had.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »

Hopefully. He wasnt as bad as history portrays him. Better he be President 1948-1952-56 then sometime in the 60's or 70's.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

Hopefully. He wasnt as bad as history portrays him. Better he be President 1948-1952-56 then sometime in the 60's or 70's.

I agree, both Thurmond and Helms were underated. But, i am going to take a center stance when i'm writing this
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 03:56:12 AM »

Dewey of course, but Truman was probably the best Democrat President we've ever had.

No, that would be Polk.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »

Will this continue, it was very interesting.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »

Jennings: It’s now 8:00 PM in the east and we have some more projections by ABC News:

First in the Northeast, ABC News gives the state of New Hampshire to Mr. Dewey, which has always been a Republican state since 1856, with the exception of the last three Roosevelt elections. Also in the Northeast, Dewey will win in Maine, Connecticut, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware.

In the south, ABC News gives Alabama and Mississippi to Mr Thurmond, which has been expected. Thurmond is also leading Georgia and is contending in Tennessee North Carolina, and Florida.

In the Midwest, ABC gives Missouri, and Oklahoma to the president. No surprise because Truman has had the lead for the whole season. Also just called by ABC is the state of Mass, which is projected to go to the president. This was not expected, but at the rate Truman is polling, Dewey will not make a comeback mainly due to Wallace, who is polling about 5% of the vote.

Let’s look at the map:

The President is doing way better than expected, many pollsters think his support will die down as the night goes we will see. We will be back after this message
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »

Jennings: Welcome Back, let's now go back to George who has more senate calls. George?

Stephanopoulos: Thanks Peter. Now is the part of the evening in which we have more senate races start to come in, and we already have several races to declare:

First in the Northeast, we have some history here tonight as ABC News declares that Margret Chase Smith is the winner from Maine, which makes her the first woman to serve in both the House and the Senate. Smith takes over for the Majority leader Wallace White, who is retiring.

The rest of the senate races are too close to call, but we will continue to watch them. Let's go to the south, where we have a few more to call:

In North Carolina, Senator Broughton is easily re-elected but this time he is with the Dixiecrats, another loss for the Democrats. Also in Alabama and Mississippi Senators Eastland and Sparkman are reelected as Dixiecrats.  This now brings their total to four, with Senator Maybank still undecided. He will announce in his victory statement later on.

The one piece of good news for the Democrats is in Tennessee with the election of Estes Kefavor, who is going to stay a Democrat.

This now brings the overall Senate total to 51 Republicans, 41 Democrats, and 4 Dixiecrats. Back to you peter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies