TPTTAA Poll - Right Unity - How about now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:34:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  TPTTAA Poll - Right Unity - How about now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Given the recent election results, would you now support a united right party?
I'm in POP or RPP and Yes

I'm in POP or RPP and No

I'm not in either party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: TPTTAA Poll - Right Unity - How about now?  (Read 3681 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/User_talk:Nickjbor
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:03 AM »

Only if I led it Wink

Joking of course. However it would have to be led by someone from the right of centre. Given that social issues are resolved it needs to focus on centre-right economic solutions without simply existing to 'gut' legislation it doesn't like; it has to drive forward proposals.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:50 AM »

No. A united party would still  lose this election. I doubt the right wing voters who voted for Naso/Fritz would have voted any differently had the two parties joined. Of course, I am still opposed to the RPP merging with the Pops or vice versa. I'd become more of an endangered species than I already am.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »

No:
1+1 < 2
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »

HAHAH no.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »

It's hard enough to have two parties. Looking at the last election, what we really need now is loyal party members who won't backstab the party, both in the POP and RPP. That could have at least saved us a couple Senate seats.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »

It's hard enough to have two parties. Looking at the last election, what we really need now is loyal party members who won't backstab the party, both in the POP and RPP. That could have at least saved us a couple Senate seats.

Angry
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »

I wish everyone would have carried the party line, but insulting the people who didn't is ultimately self-defeating. In the case of the Mideast, the leftist candidate was clearly better known & more widely liked than the rightist one anyway.

Anyway, everyone from the RPP/POP being in one party wouldn't have really helped.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »

Angry
I wasn't necessarily referring to you, as you never committed to A-Bob in the first place and your vote wasn't expected.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »

Angry
I wasn't necessarily referring to you, as you never committed to A-Bob in the first place and your vote wasn't expected.

It's cool Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »

I don't know if we could call it backstabbing, but there are certainly a greater diversity of ideas on the right than on the left. While the JCP never strays from the party line, RPP members and the occasional POP member votes for the left leaning ticket. That's not a bad thing, but in close elections, it tips the scale in favor of the left candidate. It seems the only way the right is to win an election is for the mood to be just right, like when afleitch won, otherwise the left winning is a foregone conclusion because we know how many votes they'll get each and every election. There are never any surprises.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »

No, unity wasn't the issue. I was in almost daily contact with both JBrase and Dallasfan65 over the last month and a half, and we have the new board where we interact on the private forum. There was no lack of communication or coordination between the two of us.

And tmth is right, it is difficult to maintain the parties as two separate entities. If anything, the Reaganfan/Dead0man ticket should serve as a warning against such a unification, and that was just over "coordination". There is no way I could bring the entirety of each party together into one and maintain the unity, cohession, and level of discuss that currently exists within each.

I don't know if we could call it backstabbing, but there are certainly a greater diversity of ideas on the right than on the left. While the JCP never strays from the party line, RPP members and the occasional POP member votes for the left leaning ticket. That's not a bad thing, but in close elections, it tips the scale in favor of the left candidate. It seems the only way the right is to win an election is for the mood to be just right, like when afleitch won, otherwise the left winning is a foregone conclusion because we know how many votes they'll get each and every election. There are never any surprises.

Certainly, we have to keep Moderates, Conservatives and Libertarians happy just to get to 48%. They just have to unify the left and center left and they are at 50%. Why the JCP ever doubts their chances in any elections is the only mystery here. They have a structural advantage ideologically.

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:39 PM »

There's really not much in common between the Populares and the RPP.

I have certainly have little-to-nothing in common ideologically with the people on our supposed "unity ticket".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »

I have certainly have little-to-nothing in common ideologically with the people on our supposed "unity ticket".

Kind of like the bgwah/meeker unity ticket from back in 2008, huh? Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »

The ticket itself was quite consistent! Cheesy
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »

The ticket itself was quite consistent! Cheesy

Can't disagree with that. Tongue In retrospect, I am amazed that I had so much luck convincing RPPers to vote for that ticket.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »

Yeah, the AndrewCT ticket just about reached the level of pointlessness.  He probably voted far more often with Bgwah than Libertas in the last Senate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »

It was better than nothing, though one election cycle I would actually like to see the RPP/POP back a ticket running on a genuinely conservative/libertarian platform. It's not like we'll win over any JCPers regardless of what we run on.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »

It was better than nothing, though one election cycle I would actually like to see the RPP/POP back a ticket running on a genuinely conservative/libertarian platform. It's not like we'll win over any JCPers regardless of what we run on.

True.

I actually think this is the problem with the game. A strong, united left dominates national fantasyland politics. When one goes back to the active periods of Atlasia, one will find that the right and left were far more evenly matched than now. Nym won with only one vote in the first Presidential election, after all.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »

A united right would be a great tool for recruitment.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »

Yeah, the AndrewCT ticket just about reached the level of pointlessness.  He probably voted far more often with Bgwah than Libertas in the last Senate.

Which is why he almost won.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

Haha, the JCPers are going to try to put the same spin that the Democrats put on the 2008 election.

Fritz and Kalwejt won because AndrewCT and AHDuke weren't moderate enough!
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 06:23:39 PM »

True.

I actually think this is the problem with the game. A strong, united left dominates national fantasyland politics. When one goes back to the active periods of Atlasia, one will find that the right and left were far more evenly matched than now. Nym won with only one vote in the first Presidential election, after all.

Given that and other evidence it seems that the Atlas used to be far more conservative than it is now.  Is that true?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »

Haha, the JCPers are going to try to put the same spin that the Democrats put on the 2008 election.

Fritz and Kalwejt won because AndrewCT and AHDuke weren't moderate active enough!

Fixed for accuracy. Tongue
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »

True.

Given that and other evidence it seems that the Atlas used to be far more conservative than it is now.  Is that true?

No... Lore has it that a bunch people from other websites flooded the mock presidential map.

I wasn't around for it, but some of the forum olds would tell you (and I've seen myself in ancient threads) the forum was more conservative circa 04-05.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies