TPTTAA Poll - Right Unity - How about now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:57:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  TPTTAA Poll - Right Unity - How about now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Given the recent election results, would you now support a united right party?
I'm in POP or RPP and Yes

I'm in POP or RPP and No

I'm not in either party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: TPTTAA Poll - Right Unity - How about now?  (Read 3680 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »

It was better than nothing, though one election cycle I would actually like to see the RPP/POP back a ticket running on a genuinely conservative/libertarian platform. It's not like we'll win over any JCPers regardless of what we run on.

True.

I actually think this is the problem with the game. A strong, united left dominates national fantasyland politics. When one goes back to the active periods of Atlasia, one will find that the right and left were far more evenly matched than now. Nym won with only one vote in the first Presidential election, after all.

Given that and other evidence it seems that the Atlas used to be far more conservative than it is now.  Is that true?

lol, as someone who is familiar with Atlasian events going back to August 2008 and joined in Dec 2008, I can tell you Atlasia was not more conservative. The formation of the RPP in August 2008 marked the first resurgence of a Conservative/Libertarian movement in over a year in Atlasia.

That mock election got overran by a single group in 2008 who joined voted and disappeared. In 2004, I beleive that same thing happened only with Badnarik or one of them third partiers.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »

What I don't understand is that it's been proven that far-right tickets fail, so why our "moderateness" is blamed for the loss is a mystery to me. We outperformed any Rosettastoned/whoever ticket the POPs have ran in the past. Our politics simply were not an issue. But really, feel free to run a far right ticket in the future and we will see how it performs.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »

It's also important to vote the impact Naso had on the race. He basically poached all the RPP voters and then didn't even second preference our ticket. The right will never, ever win elections as long as we have technical issues like that. If we want to remain in the minority, we can continue our current course.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »

It's also important to vote the impact Naso had on the race. He basically poached all the RPP voters and then didn't even second preference our ticket. The right will never, ever win elections as long as we have technical issues like that. If we want to remain in the minority, we can continue our current course.

You received 42 first preferences.  Naso received 12.  Fritz received 52.  3 of Naso's voters ranked Fritz second, and therefore presumably would have ranked him first in a two-way.  You lost, Naso or no Naso.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

What I don't understand is that it's been proven that far-right tickets fail, so why our "moderateness" is blamed for the loss is a mystery to me. We outperformed any Rosettastoned/whoever ticket the POPs have ran in the past. Our politics simply were not an issue. But really, feel free to run a far right ticket in the future and we will see how it performs.

Comparing this situation to RosettaStoned is a little absurd. That ticket was thrown together at the last minute against what was rightly perceived as an unbeatable Purple State/JCP ticket. RS was not a long-time senator or governor with lots of connections to Atlasia. It's quite unfair to slander him or any other previous candidate with such a comparison. They weren't expected to win; this moderate unity ticket was. Certainly the opposition ticket was not that strong, itself being only thrown together haphazardly.

But now we've tried the moderate approach. Libertarians and conservatives gave up our principles to support this centrist/moderate ticket and what did it accomplish? Ultimately, it's the same outcome: four more months of JCP rule.

As Everett Dirksen told Tom Dewey, don't take us down the path to defeat again! Tongue

Well that was an internal RPP problem; it's a bit pointless to talk of "right unity" when the RPP itself is not unified.

But perhaps maintaining unity would have been as easy as having at least one member of the ticket known for staunch conservative principles? It never made sense to have a double moderate-moderate unity ticket.

Or at least you or Andrew could have made an attempt to reach out to conservatives and libertarians, who make up the bulk of the membership of both of our parties. Not once do I recall the CT campaign giving us a solid reason to vote for you guys. As I'm sure you're aware, you don't exactly have the sort of record that would endear you to either conservatives or libertarians. Wink

Instead you seemed to not want to be associated with us, wanting to go it alone and not asking for help from existing party infrastructure. I don't know how things went at RPP HQ, but I know the POP turnout operation was not even 1% as active as it was just two months ago, which had unexpected down-ticket ramifications for us as well.

There was a general lack of organization that plagued the campaign. Naso made a Youtube attack ad on AndrewCT; at least a Fritz supporter responded with a counter-ad. But AFAIK nothing ever came from the CT camp. It gave a Deweyesque inevitability to this defeat.

Now this long-winded rant is not intended to be a personal attack on you (nor on AndrewCT), so please do not interpret it as such. I was skeptical of this ticket from the beginning, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I remained silent in my criticism before the election because I did not want you guys to lose. I am not opposed to supporting you or Andrew in the future, but I hope you will take some of the things I have said here into account. I hope conservatives and libertarians will not be taken for granted or thrown under the bus as we were in this most recent election. JCPers will not vote for you no matter how 'moderate' you are. And power of personality alone is not enough to win elections.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »

What if we had a ticket along the line of Inks/Dallasfan? Both guys with distinctly right-of-center credentials, proven track records, & who both command a significant amount of respect.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 09:10:37 PM »

What if we had a ticket along the line of Inks/Dallasfan? Both guys with distinctly right-of-center credentials, proven track records, & who both command a significant amount of respect.

I would enthusiastically endorse that ticket.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

It was better than nothing, though one election cycle I would actually like to see the RPP/POP back a ticket running on a genuinely conservative/libertarian platform. It's not like we'll win over any JCPers regardless of what we run on.

True.

I actually think this is the problem with the game. A strong, united left dominates national fantasyland politics. When one goes back to the active periods of Atlasia, one will find that the right and left were far more evenly matched than now. Nym won with only one vote in the first Presidential election, after all.

Given that and other evidence it seems that the Atlas used to be far more conservative than it is now.  Is that true?

No... Lore has it that a bunch people from other websites flooded the mock presidential map.

I wasn't around for it, but some of the forum olds would tell you (and I've seen myself in ancient threads) the forum was more conservative circa 04-05.

Could an old confirm this?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »

True.

No... Lore has it that a bunch people from other websites flooded the mock presidential map.

I wasn't around for it, but some of the forum olds would tell you (and I've seen myself in ancient threads) the forum was more conservative circa 04-05.

Atlasia was certainly more on the right in the early days.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »

True.

I found it.

he is crazy, yes. But that does not mean you have the right to be mean. Why must you try to run everyone off you guys don't like? that doesn't help with anything.

Yes, it does. It improves the quality of the forum discourse (to which you contribute little to nothing, and perhaps less).

so you're against the first amendment? Limit free speech for some because their arguments aren't as "good?"
It's not relevant here. It's only about government actions.

On a "nonpartisan" political forum, posters should be expected to show at least *some* respect for, and more importantly knowledge of, the other side's argument; of where the other side is coming from.
Without that you are, basically, trolling even if that wasn't your intention. (I personally have never even thought of reporting your posts.)

Oh and what Dallasfan (three posts above) is saying is true.  Wasn't up to 2005, btw - if anything it was often the other way round.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »

True.

When I said old, I think it is implied that I want somebody who registered before I did to respond Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »

True.

When I said old, I think it is implied that I want somebody who registered before I did to respond Tongue

Well, I'm not trying to be an authority on the subject. It's legislation passed during 2004-5 and election results (both of which are found on the Wiki) seem to be more on the right than Atlasia today.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »

Undecided.

Only if I led it Wink

Joking of course. However it would have to be led by someone from the right of centre. Given that social issues are resolved it needs to focus on centre-right economic solutions without simply existing to 'gut' legislation it doesn't like; it has to drive forward proposals.

I take offense at that assertion, sir.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2010, 12:43:23 PM by Badger »

Undecided.

Only if I led it Wink

Joking of course. However it would have to be led by someone from the right of centre. Given that social issues are resolved it needs to focus on centre-right economic solutions without simply existing to 'gut' legislation it doesn't like; it has to drive forward proposals.

I take offense at that assertion, sir.

While I don't take offense, I do disagree with Afleitch. Several of the regions have, or have passed but had overturned, abortion restrictions well beyond the RL parameters of Roe v. Wade and Casey v. Planned Parenthood. With the rise of the Dixiecrats who oppose gay marriage rights (but not civil unions) as an officially recognized party and force in the SE, that issue may not be fully "resolved" either.

Like it or not, any attempt by the Atlasian right to short change conservative views on social issues is going to create dissension and dissatisfaction among potential supporters whose support they need to win.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 02:24:26 PM »

That's the problem the right has. Neither candidate has shown any sort of interest in the office and would only run out of a sense of duty for the office. Inks was going to run last year and dropped out because he didn't have the time. The last time anyone that could be considered right of center won was afleitch, and he's hardly a far-rightist. What on earth makes anyone think a right wing ticket could win? Plus, wormguy seconded the JCP ticket, so why is he complaining?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »

That's the problem the right has. Neither candidate has shown any sort of interest in the office and would only run out of a sense of duty for the office. Inks was going to run last year and dropped out because he didn't have the time. The last time anyone that could be considered right of center won was afleitch, and he's hardly a far-rightist. What on earth makes anyone think a right wing ticket could win? Plus, wormguy seconded the JCP ticket, so why is he complaining?

I seconded your ticket (after several joke writeins).  I must admit I did consider seconding the JCP out of spite, after you thirded me after Barnes in the senate special election (projecting much?), and had earlier decided to attack me for no particular reason.  However, since it was close, and I didn't want to be an as$hole, I nevertheless gave your ticket my functional second choice.  I'm not sure where your bizarre hostility towards me is coming from, since I don't recall ever having any sort of argument with you before, but you can rest assured I will not be voting for any ticket with you on it in the future.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 04:27:22 PM »

True.

lol, as someone who is familiar with Atlasian events going back to August 2008 and joined in Dec 2008, I can tell you Atlasia was not more conservative.

Haha!  You old timer, you.

My first registration was on February 22, 2004.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »

I seconded your ticket (after several joke writeins).  I must admit I did consider seconding the JCP out of spite, after you thirded me after Barnes in the senate special election (projecting much?), and had earlier decided to attack me for no particular reason.  However, since it was close, and I didn't want to be an as$hole, I nevertheless gave your ticket my functional second choice.  I'm not sure where your bizarre hostility towards me is coming from, since I don't recall ever having any sort of argument with you before, but you can rest assured I will not be voting for any ticket with you on it in the future.

I was thinking of someone else when I thought you seconded Fritz. My apologies. As for my vote in the special election, until you run a serious campaign that doesn't involve calling the other candidates childish names, don't expect a vote from me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies