Lyndon Johnson vs. Barry Goldwater
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:17:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Lyndon Johnson vs. Barry Goldwater
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Goldwater

Johnson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Lyndon Johnson vs. Barry Goldwater  (Read 12188 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2005, 05:27:08 PM »

"LBJ, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2005, 06:31:01 PM »

One time Johnson was trying to sleep and he heard those hippies chanting this quite loudly. He wanted to sleep and he yelled out the window, "If I said a killed a million would you shut up?"
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2005, 07:11:54 PM »

One time Johnson was trying to sleep and he heard those hippies chanting this quite loudly. He wanted to sleep and he yelled out the window, "If I said a killed a million would you shut up?"

Yeah, that is a funny story. Unfortunately if it was 1964, I would have voted for Johnson, and still would. Goldwater was a very scary person back then. Later, he became more tolerable, but I wouldn't have voted against civil rights in any case, and his economic policies wouldn't have worked either. Also, his movement did more harm to the Republican cause than any Republican could have done. If he hadn't been nominated, the Democrats would have had smaller majorities in Congress and Johnson might not have been able to push through all the welfare programs of the late sixties which hurt our economy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »

It's actually rather disturbing- imagine what it would be like if peoples' opinion of Thomas Jefferson was shaped by Federalist campaign propaganda.

Imagine what it would be like if people's opinion of John Kerry was shaped by Republican campaign propaganda.

Oh, wait....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2005, 08:23:32 PM »

Yeah, that is a funny story. Unfortunately if it was 1964, I would have voted for Johnson, and still would. Goldwater was a very scary person back then. Later, he became more tolerable, but I wouldn't have voted against civil rights in any case, and his economic policies wouldn't have worked either. Also, his movement did more harm to the Republican cause than any Republican could have done. If he hadn't been nominated, the Democrats would have had smaller majorities in Congress and Johnson might not have been able to push through all the welfare programs of the late sixties which hurt our economy.

W/Out hindsight I hope. LBJ was a terrible racist and definately knew who killed JFK or ordered it himself. LBJ was one of the main reasons for Vietnam but people just like to fluff up his 'great' record by only mentioning the 'Civil Rights' Act of '64 and the Great Society aka the New Steal Deal II.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2005, 09:00:41 PM »

I voted Goldwater but in 1964 I PROBABLY would've voted for Johnson. Goldwater was a lot better after 1964.

Just like now I know I wouldn't vote for Nixon in 1972, but then, I PROBABLY would have.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies