Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:39:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19  (Read 2871 times)
Stranger Than Fiction
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 01:53:25 AM »

While Erie County voted for Mondale, it did also vote for Pataki all 3 times. Anyways, Paladino can have fun winning his own county while he loses badly statewide.
As I wrote in a separate post, I would not be surprised to see Paladino winning 60% or more of the votes in Western New York, which includes Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaragus, Wyoming and Genessee Counties while running up huge margins in the rest of NYS.  The Buffalo area (Erie/Niagara) in particular have been trending Republican since 2000, and there are a lot of disenchanted white working class, tea-party folks who are screaming "I'm mad as hell too, Carl". 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »

It's so hilarious that grammar is a political issue with some. Everything is not a huge political drama.

Not huge, no, but they've certainly made it a political issue.  The Wiki article I linked to earlier in the thread is a really fascinating read on conservatives' attempts at subliminal weasel wording.

You can use whatever you want, but that doesn't make it grammatically correct.

Indeed, and they're welcome to make themselves look like they failed sixth grade English.  Smiley
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »

You vote Democrat.  You don't vote Democratic.  You are therefore a Democrat voter.

You honestly can't see how that is plainly incorrect?

(I often wonder how many people who use this phrase incorrectly are deliberately trolling, or have simply been misled by those who are.)

Compare these two sentences:

"I voted Democrat for governor and senate."

"I voted Democratic for governor and senate."

We would use the first phrasing, at least in the wealthy, uberliberal parts of Massachusetts I frequent.

EDIT:  How about this one:

"Democrat Deval Patrick for Governor" vs. "Democratic Deval Patrick for Governor"
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2010, 03:46:48 PM by I have a really long user title badabing badaboom wormyguy »

Part of the confusion here stems from the use of two different nouns.  The party is the Democratic Party.  Members of the Democratic Party are Democrats.

Democrat is used as an adjective when describing members of the Democratic Party:

"Democrat Deval Patrick" "Democrat voters" "I voted straight Democrat" "Democrat-controlled Senate"

Democratic is used when describing things pertaining to the Democratic Party:

"Democratic health care proposal" "Democratic house caucus" "Democratic voter registration" "the Democratic ticket"
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies