Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:37:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19  (Read 2886 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: October 25, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »

I love how the news story says "Democrat Party".

Where? 

It says "Democrat voters", which is a way of referring to Democrats.  A Democrat is a Democrat, not a Democratic.

No, "Democrat voters" is not a (correct) way of referring to Democrats.  "Democrat" is a noun; "Democratic" is an adjective.  "Voter" is also a noun, and therefore putting two otherwise unrelated nouns together like that is incorrect.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »

The phrase "Democrat voters" has been used by the AP, Reuters and USA Today, among others.

That's the first time media outlets have consistently made the same mistakes, right?

No, no it isn't.  Also, you'll note that Democrats themselves never do it.  Why do you think that is?

Unlike the party, individual voters are never referred to as "Democratics".

Wow, did you ever study English?  An individual voter is a noun, and therefore is a Democrat.  Again, "Democratic" is an adjective.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:10:30 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2010, 09:15:23 PM by Joe Republic »

You vote Democrat.  You don't vote Democratic.  You are therefore a Democrat voter.

You honestly can't see how that is plainly incorrect?

(I often wonder how many people who use this phrase incorrectly are deliberately trolling, or have simply been misled by those who are.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure you've had this exact same argument with Carl before. It's obvious that the people who do it only do it because it pisses Democrats off.

Absolutely, which I find slightly ironic since I'm not a Democrat.  Smiley

But yes, it's inherently a form of real-life trolling.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »

It's so hilarious that grammar is a political issue with some. Everything is not a huge political drama.

Not huge, no, but they've certainly made it a political issue.  The Wiki article I linked to earlier in the thread is a really fascinating read on conservatives' attempts at subliminal weasel wording.

You can use whatever you want, but that doesn't make it grammatically correct.

Indeed, and they're welcome to make themselves look like they failed sixth grade English.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies