Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:46:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erie County/Goldhaber Research Associates: Paladino (R) leads by 19  (Read 2893 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: October 25, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »

I love how the news story says "Democrat Party".

Where? 

It says "Democrat voters", which is a way of referring to Democrats.  A Democrat is a Democrat, not a Democratic.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2010, 07:58:10 PM by cinyc »

I love how the news story says "Democrat Party".

Where?  

It says "Democrat voters", which is a way of referring to Democrats.  A Democrat is a Democrat, not a Democratic.

No, "Democrat voters" is not a (correct) way of referring to Democrats.  "Democrat" is a noun; "Democratic" is an adjective.  "Voter" is also a noun, and therefore putting two otherwise unrelated nouns together like that is incorrect.

The phrase "Democrat voters" has been used by the AP, Reuters and USA Today, among others.  It is perfectly proper to do so.   Unlike the party, individual voters are never referred to as "Democratics".
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2010, 10:47:07 PM by cinyc »

You vote Democrat.  You don't vote Democratic.  You are therefore a Democrat voter.

You honestly can't see how that is plainly incorrect?

(I often wonder how many people who use this phrase incorrectly are deliberately trolling, or have simply been misled by those who are.)

I'm pretty sure you've had this exact same argument with Carl before. It's obvious that the people who do it only do it because it pisses Democrats off.

The "people who did it" here was a Buffalo TV station website.  It's not uncommon to see newspapers or news websites use Democrat as an adjective, particularly when referring to voters, not the Democratic Party itself.  This is especially true in headlines, or in other cases where space is at a premium.

Democrats have no inherent right to tell the rest of us what words we can use.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies