Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 04:40:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: New Hampshire  (Read 14648 times)
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2004, 07:53:55 pm »
Ignore

I will say that social conservatism isn't a big factor here.  New England believes in Frost's "good fences make good neighbors" statement. New Hampshire pretty much does, too.  There are far fewer churches in the region-- even in Republican New Hampshire-- than in Southern states. The churches we do have are dry and non-controversial. Even Yankee catholic churches aren't as strict as varieties elsewhere.

So, on social issues, NH would be in the middle of the pack nationally on abortion, gay rights, Iraqi war, etc.?

Would Democrats be competitive if they ran as a fiscal conservative and a social liberal?

Also, isn't it true that NH is the only state that doesn't require a car driver or passenger to wear a seatbelt?

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

NHPolitico
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2004, 09:39:28 am »
Ignore

I will say that social conservatism isn't a big factor here.  New England believes in Frost's "good fences make good neighbors" statement. New Hampshire pretty much does, too.  There are far fewer churches in the region-- even in Republican New Hampshire-- than in Southern states. The churches we do have are dry and non-controversial. Even Yankee catholic churches aren't as strict as varieties elsewhere.

So, on social issues, NH would be in the middle of the pack nationally on abortion, gay rights, Iraqi war, etc.?

Would Democrats be competitive if they ran as a fiscal conservative and a social liberal?

Also, isn't it true that NH is the only state that doesn't require a car driver or passenger to wear a seatbelt?

It's true that we don't have adult seatbelt laws, yes.

Culturally, the state is libertarian.  They support the war, though, and support some limits on abortion access.

"I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible." -- Barry Seinfeld
Don't tell me we can't change.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout