US House Redistricting: General
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:36:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: General
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: General  (Read 137206 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »

Is there any point to drawing an Arizona map in DRA, or is the population balance in Maricopa county so out of whack that its pointless?
Yeah. Pinal, too - on DRA it looks like the first can/should drop all of Casas Grandes. Not sure that will work in practice, the monster growth is going to have been mostly in the sixth district portion.
Then again... with Arizona's massive overestimate of their growth, it's reasonable to expect the overestimate to be concentrated in the massive growth parts too, ie for Maricopa to have fewer people in relation to the rest of the state than the estimates claim.
Anyways, the biggest growth in Maricopa is on the western and eastern ends. That probably means the 2nd and 6th retreat outwards, and the shed areas plus 3rd and 5th are drawn into three new districts, with the 4th mostly left alone. The 2nd might also pick up La Paz County from the 7th.

That's kind of what I figured would happen as well, with the 5th (which covers Tempe and Scottsdale) essentially split into 2.

I'm guessing that Schweikert would run in what would be a fairly heavy Republican 9th (the Scottsdale district where he lives). The new 5th would be anchored in Tempe and Pinal county, probably would be swingy at a guess, but I believe Tempe is Dem leaning.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »

Moderator's note:

I saw that a thread on CO-7 redistricting was transferred to this board from Congressional elections. In order to keep some sanity while tracking everyone's redistricting ideas, I merged it into the existing CO thread. Feel free to check the OP in this thread to find links to all the state threads that have been started on the board. If you start one that doesn't exist yet, I'll link it up as well.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 01:41:14 AM »

Does anyone know where we can go to find the newly drawn congressional maps? Like, is there one big website anywhere that shows them? I realize not all states have made their maps, but for the ones that have, just so we can see the new congressional districts? Thanks Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 04:00:59 AM »

Does anyone know where we can go to find the newly drawn congressional maps? Like, is there one big website anywhere that shows them? I realize not all states have made their maps, but for the ones that have, just so we can see the new congressional districts? Thanks Smiley

The state redistricting pages on Ballotpedia are pretty comprehensive.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 09:18:29 AM »

Utah redistricting:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/51984561-90/county-democratic-senate-lake.html.csp

Richfield • Republicans proposed Friday two redistricting plans that could further reduce the number of already far-outnumbered Democrats in Utah’s Legislature and congressional delegation.

Two Democratic seats in the state Senate would likely disappear under a proposal unveiled by Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, at hearings of the Legislature’s Redistricting Committee in Richfield and Ephraim. Republicans already hold a 22-7 edge in the Senate.

Republicans also floated a second major proposal to divide Salt Lake County among all four new U.S. House districts, which would dilute Democratic votes in their one stronghold in the state. That could make it more difficult to re-elect Democrat Rep. Jim Matheson if he runs again for the House.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »

Since there's a lot of talk about lawsuits, I thought a look back at 2000's lawsuits might be informative. Here's a very exhaustive list of cases last time around.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 05:40:54 AM »

Can't seem to find a Mississippi thread, can't be bothered to start one. For your viewing enjoyment only, not to be taken as a serious suggestion.

Red 79.1-16.1, VAP 81.0-15.0
Green 36.7-58.8, VAP 39.8-56.0
Purple 40.4-55.1, VAP 44.4-51.6
Blue 76.0-17.4, VAP 78.0-16.2
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

Homosexuals want VRA districts.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_18462724?nclick_check=1

"Communities of interest such as Latinos and African-Americans are protected to ensure proper representation," said Mario Guerrero, government affairs director for Equality California, a gay advocacy group. "We want the same opportunity to elect representatives from our community."

Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »

"Communities of interest such as Latinos and African-Americans are protected to ensure proper representation," said Mario Guerrero, government affairs director for Equality California, a gay advocacy group. "We want the same opportunity to elect representatives from our community."

But San Francisco already has its own district. What more do they want?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »

There may be no obvious answer to this given that the world was much less internet-based in previous rounds, but does anyone have any idea when mainstream sources like National Journal or even just Wikipedia will start putting up pages with demographics, PVI etc. about the new districts? Will they wait until the whole country's finished?

Given the obsessiveness of Wikipedia contributors, I'm a little surprised for example that the new districts don't seem to have their own Wikipedia pages even in states like Arkansas where the process is basically finished.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »

DKE is creating Google maps of new districts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »

at hearings of the Legislature’s Redistricting Committee in Richfield and Ephraim.

haha
PulaskiSkywayDriver
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »

Olver retires in MA. Does that make theirs fairly easy?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »

Olver retires in MA. Does that make theirs fairly easy?

Makes possible a Boston to Pittsfield seat.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »

I don't think there are enough Gays in San Francisco to create a majority district for them. Maybe if it was entirely centered in the Castro District, but that wouldn't exactly be a large enough number of constituents.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »

I don't think there are enough Gays in San Francisco to create a majority district for them. Maybe if it was entirely centered in the Castro District, but that wouldn't exactly be a large enough number of constituents.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »

Dave's Redistricting App now has state plans for some states as DRF files!
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »

Has anyone completed a nationwide map of congressional districts? The maps I've seen are only statewide. I'm sure the map will come soon enough if it hasn't already.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »

Yeah, we have one here. I'll dig you up the link, wait a sec.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=6958

Also, there must be a completed version of this one (2008 presidential by new CDs) somewhere, but you get all the info from these two
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=6528
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=6941

Actually, looking at it I think that's not the final Kansas map in either, but it's a minor alteration (the urban KC district goes a little less far to the west, a little further to the south instead.)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »

This should be the final Pres-by-CD version:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »

Thanks, the gallery can be a bitch to search. If ther is any way to display all submissions from a single poster (other than yourself) I've never noticed it.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »

Thanks, the gallery can be a bitch to search. If ther is any way to display all submissions from a single poster (other than yourself) I've never noticed it.

The gallery can be searched by keywords, but many of the maps users have posted are on other websites. Even those that have used the gallery often don't use keywords. For instance everyone of my maps has a keyword of redistricting and the name of the state. But as you note, I didn't include my name as a keyword so you can't search on that.
NY Jew

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »

I bet those same gay anti semites would be the strongest opposition to a Jewish congressional district in the only area it's possible to do so Southern Brooklyn.  (could be a 60%+ McCain seat)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »

I bet those same gay anti semites would be the strongest opposition to a Jewish congressional district in the only area it's possible to do so Southern Brooklyn.  (could be a 60%+ McCain seat)

Why are you assuming they're anti-Semitic?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies